Connectors

Mike P

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 10, 2021
I used a Yose Power kit to convert my wife's mountain bike so she could more easily get to work. It has been brilliant for nearly 2000 km. Recently I have been having trouble, but using my brushless motor tester the motor seems fine. I suspect a controller issue and would simply change this if I could. The problem is the connections. I have Julet waterproof connectors and tracing which wire is which to use a standard controller seems impossible. I can buy a controller with Julet connectors, but there seems to be no guarantee that the pins are in the same place. Also, although the motor connector seems quite normal the 1 to 4 cable does not have the usual 8 pins around the edge but 9 altogether. There is an extra pin off centre. Does anybody know what this is and why Yose have this extra pin? Thanks in anticipation of any replies. Mike

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
I used a Yose Power kit to convert my wife's mountain bike so she could more easily get to work. It has been brilliant for nearly 2000 km. Recently I have been having trouble, but using my brushless motor tester the motor seems fine. I suspect a controller issue and would simply change this if I could. The problem is the connections. I have Julet waterproof connectors and tracing which wire is which to use a standard controller seems impossible. I can buy a controller with Julet connectors, but there seems to be no guarantee that the pins are in the same place. Also, although the motor connector seems quite normal the 1 to 4 cable does not have the usual 8 pins around the edge but 9 altogether. There is an extra pin off centre. Does anybody know what this is and why Yose have this extra pin? Thanks in anticipation of any replies. Mike
which controller do you have - KT or LSW?

Mike P

Jan 10, 2021
which controller do you have - KT or LSW?
It's a KT controller. All the checking I have managed to do was the mosfets. Like the motor they seemed OK, but I'm not completely confident that I tested them properly! Even if they were bad I don't think that I could easily replace them due to the way they are soldered to the board as well the fact that no numbers and letters stamped on them seem to make any sense. My best guess is still some fault in the controller and as we have had really good value out of this kit so far I would be happy to spend some money to replace it. Thanks. Mike

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The julets are a std wire connection and sequrnce as with the julet motor wire all use a std sequence.

Mike P

Jan 10, 2021
The julets are a std wire connection and sequrnce as with the julet motor wire all use a std sequence.
That's what I was hoping somebody would confirm. Thank you. Now the issue that remains is the ninth pin on the 1 to 4 connector. Everything I've looked at shows 8 - all arranged neatly around the perimeter. I have an extra that is set slightly off centre. I can't seem to find a controller with anything but 8 pins. As I don't know what the ninth pin is for I don't know if I can do without it. Anybody able to shed ant light on this?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The ninth pin on the trunk cable to the display etc will likely be a dedicated circuit for lights.
I can' t look now but tomorrow I will have a look for one.

The similar system to julet is higo, the wire sequence is different on their connectors so not compatible .

Mike P

Jan 10, 2021
Thanks for that. Actually if it is to do with lights I don't need it anyway as the lights are not run off the motor battery.

Scorpio

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2020
Portugal Algarve (temporary)
As above, I have seen report that the 9 pin harness is for lights, 8 pin is for bikes without lights. I've not checked myself but it makes sense.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Mike which controller do you have, is it the later Lishui one or the previous KT one ?
Is it a remote controller or integrated battery base one ?
Also as vfr has asked what is wrong or how did the fault occur ?

It is easier to find a 9 pin julet controller then an 8 Pin if it is KT, if it is Lishui then they aren't easy to find as a non OEM item.

Last edited:

Mike P

Jan 10, 2021
Well - bike ran faultlessly for nearly 2000km in all weathers. One day it just decided not to work at all most of the time. Occasionally it would cut in but not strongly. Checked all connectors, made sure battery was fully charged but no joy. Suspecting the motor I tested the halls and coils with my brushless motor tester and all seemed perfect. Motor also bone dry and no sign of any internal visible issues. Bearings all still perfect. I had a spare pedal sensor so changed that anyway with no result. All the Julet connectors were opened but all were dry and pins all seemed perfect with no corrosion or damage. The LCD screen was also operating perfectly. So I then looked at the remote KT controller. Testing that was a bit beyond me but I did try probing the mosfets using my multimeter - they seemed OK but I was now out of my comfort zone with electronics and not sure if I did that correctly. Anyway as I said in an earlier post the kit has given brilliant service, saved us a huge amount of money ( work was charging daily for parking on site) and so simply buying a new controller would not be an issue and I would have simply bought one until I looked closely at the pictures of the pins in the adverts. Motor connector was the same but 4 to 1 didn't have 8 pins but 9. This got me bothered that a replacement would not work hence my attempt to get some answers online from people who doubtless knew more than me! By the way the connectors are definitely Julet as they are stamped.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
If you have brake sensors connected disconnect them and the throttle, then try PAS operation. Throttles when water gets in can cause operation issues so definitely try that simple process first.
A new controller is about £30 - £35, though one may have to go to China for one.
This one is ideal, select without in all the drop down boxes to just get the controller.
T-06S 24V/36V250W Torque Simulation Sine Wave with Julei Waterproof Connector [T06S controller Waterproof Plug] - $26.60 : Zen Cart!, The Art of E-commerce (topbikekit.com)

48V 36V 15A KT Controller For 250W 350W Brushless Motor Electric Bicycle E-bike | eBay

It may be possible to find a UK seller of said item but expect to pay double.

Last edited: