Conservative Majority

SteveRuss

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2015
Bristol, Uk
I know there will be very mixed opinions on the results of the Uk elections today, but I personally feel disappointed with the British people that we decided to choose a government that is hell bent on continuing the current economic policy of austerity, as well as (for I believe) is for their own ideological beliefs on a smaller, but more big business controlled governmental model.

To me, I feel this is a detrimental system for the majority and more to the point, the only reason i'm actually really posting this as I feel quite depressed about the future again and I haven't done that to this level for many years and wanted to say something.

The other main point for me (and i'm half Scottish) is why vote to stay in the Uk during the not so distant past referendum that offered the Scottish people the option of whether to stay in a governmental system run by England, then sweepingly vote for a Scottish Nationalist Party come the general election?

Last edited:
Reactions: Wicky and martx007

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
[quote="SteveRuss, post: 262092, member: 13046"

The other main point for me is (and i'm half Scottish) why vote to stay in the Uk during the not so distant past referendum that offered the Scottish people to option whether to stay in a governmental system run by the England, then sweepingly vote for a Scottish Nationalist Party come the general election? I'm confused and disappointed with my fellow man..[/quote]

From my understanding the Scots wanted independence but not Alex Salmond. Can't blame then at all for that.

SteveRuss

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2015
Bristol, Uk
[quote="SteveRuss, post: 262092, member: 13046"

The other main point for me is (and i'm half Scottish) why vote to stay in the Uk during the not so distant past referendum that offered the Scottish people to option whether to stay in a governmental system run by the England, then sweepingly vote for a Scottish Nationalist Party come the general election? I'm confused and disappointed with my fellow man..
From my understanding the Scots wanted independence but not Alex Salmond. Can't blame then at all for that.[/quote]

But they had a referendum didn't they?

Actually, wasn't it the other way around? I think i'm tired and deflated.. Thinking of moving the Scotland at this stage..

Last edited:

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
I'm thinking of the Scotch.

Reactions: SteveRuss

john h

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 22, 2012
murthly castle estate
I Think lots of scotts fell for the labour hike about more powers for scottand if they voted to stay with the union, turned out they still havnt got any, and so voted labour out and S N P in. Had they voted to leave the union they would have had all the powers they wanted any way

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
I know there will be very mixed opinions on the results of the Uk elections today, but I personally feel disappointed with the British people that we decided to choose a government that is hell bent on continuing the current economic policy of austerity, as well as (for I believe) is for their own ideological beliefs on a smaller, but more big business controlled governmental model.

To me, I feel this is a detrimental system for the majority and more to the point, the only reason i'm actually really posting this as I feel quite depressed about the future again and I haven't done that to this level for many years and wanted to say something.

The other main point for me (and i'm half Scottish) is why vote to stay in the Uk during the not so distant past referendum that offered the Scottish people the option of whether to stay in a governmental system run by England, then sweepingly vote for a Scottish Nationalist Party come the general election?
We simply cannot afford spend, spend, spend, so I am pleased the Tories won.

Arguably, they are still spending more than the country can afford, but at least there is some acceptance of the need to balance the books.

I think there are two main factors in Scotland.

The nationalists want to have their cake and eat it - that's the most important point.

As regards the referendum, presumably a lot of SNP voters voted to leave, and voters for the other parties voted to stay in.

Their combined votes led to a narrow majority for remaining in the union.

Yesterday, the other parties' votes were split, so the SNP benefited.

Reactions: Deleted member 4366

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Yet again 37% of the population in England decide on the future of all of the UK.
Where is proportional representation? SNP get 5% of the vote and 56 MPs
UKIDP get 12%and an MP.
Liberals get 8% and 8MP,s

Yup that's fair !

RobF Oh in answer to the vote in Scotland it was just over 50% who voted SNP

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
I remember the Auf Wiedersehen Pet show where they voted for the colours of their hut. No one got what they wanted, that's proportional representation. And it was funny.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cyclezee

flecc

Oct 25, 2006

I feel the same about these aspects. London has done things differently though, below I repost what I just posted in another thread:

Like Scotland with the SNP, once again London has shown itself to be a different country from the rest of the UK.

Here in London the Conservatives made only three gains from the Liberals and none from Labour, but Labour won seven Conservative seats to become easily the overall winner. And Labour nearly made it eight, missing that last one by just 165 votes. Overall Labour +7, Conservatives -4, an outcome the opposite of the rest of the Britain.

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Just up the cost of food and power and London would squeal very loudly!
The rest of the country at leas has some production taking place.
And as to the subsidies if we stopped funding the bankers and the loans everyone seams to owe ?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Just up the cost of food and power and London would squeal very loudly!
The rest of the country at leas has some production taking place.
And as to the subsidies if we stopped funding the bankers and the loans everyone seams to owe ?
You're day dreaming, the rest of the country isn't funding the bankers and loans, it's London's productivity that's paying those.

London was also a major production centre until successive governments moved it all out to needy places in the sticks. Once they'd exhausted that they moved out much else from London, including numerous successful companies in insurance and finance. Finally it was many of the government offices that were moved to remote and poor performing areas.

But despite all those losses and the huge hits on London employment, London always bounces back and creates new jobs and wealth, massively subsidising the poorer areas of the country.

As for food and power, more than half all our food comes from overseas and we even import a lot of power from France.

This link throws some more light on the London wealth position.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

Arguably, they are still spending more than the country can afford, but at least there is some acceptance of the need to balance the books.

I think there are two main factors in Scotland.

The nationalists want to have their cake and eat it - that's the most important point.

As regards the referendum, presumably a lot of SNP voters voted to leave, and voters for the other parties voted to stay in.

Their combined votes led to a narrow majority for remaining in the union.

Yesterday, the other parties' votes were split, so the SNP benefited.
That's exactly my thoughts. The risk for the Scotts of going it alone was too high, but in a Labour/SNP coalition, they would have been able to apply leverage for even more concessions with little risk for themselves. Personally, I found that situation very worrying.

Reactions: tillson

SteveRuss

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2015
Bristol, Uk
I feel the same about these aspects. London has done things differently though, below I repost what I just posted in another thread:

Like Scotland with the SNP, once again London has shown itself to be a different country from the rest of the UK.

Here in London the Conservatives made only three gains from the Liberals and none from Labour, but Labour won seven Conservative seats to become easily the overall winner. And Labour nearly made it eight, missing that last one by just 165 votes. Overall Labour +7, Conservatives -4, an outcome the opposite of the rest of the Britain.

They haven't fully gentrified it yet so I suppose, surprising though that is, there is still some work to do to turn it more Tory. Pricing the poor out is working though, but there is only so many people you can cram in to a room.

SteveRuss

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2015
Bristol, Uk
Debt is good in the minds of the lenders as interest is their tool for great wealth. Over the past five years the coalition (if you could call it that) increased our national debt by approximately £120,000,000,000 a year for five years and we're still in a deficit. I'd hardly call that a successful balancing of the books and certainly nothing to vote for more of. How the hell are we going to pay off that level of poor book keeping??

Then look at the state of manufacturing and the jobs market. It's been a total disaster. Even Cameron himself said in 2010, "if I haven't got rid of the deficit by 2015 then kick me out".

The Labour spending trend from their last government was badly represented by the Tories. Hardly anyone else seemed to mention it as in fact it wasn't as bad as it was made out by the Tory press and the Tories themselves. In fact Thatcher spent more than the last Labour government and the coalition have made a total mess of our finances so far. Booting mother's out of their houses because they have a spare room after their children are murdered is only the beginning of that sort of behaviour we'll see from them now. The fall out from TTIP deal alone (that will now likely sneak even further out of the public eye) will destroy what's left of our democracy. Secret courts, multinationals buying our NHS then running it as an insurance based system is something we are now going to have to face.

Last edited:

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
You're day dreaming, the rest of the country isn't funding the bankers and loans, it's London's productivity that's paying those.

London was also a major production centre until successive governments moved it all out to needy places in the sticks. Once they'd exhausted that they moved out much else from London, including numerous successful companies in insurance and finance. Finally it was many of the government offices that were moved to remote and poor performing areas.

But despite all those losses and the huge hits on London employment, London always bounces back and creates new jobs and wealth, massively subsidising the poorer areas of the country.

As for food and power, more than half all our food comes from overseas and we even import a lot of power from France.

This link throws some more light on the London wealth position.
That link misses out on just how the money is made.
Having head offices in London means the profit from all the national activities appears to be made in London. But where are the miles of production. Driving through Birmingham you can see factories and workshops I don't remember seeing much other than houses in London!

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
Before claiming that London makes much of the UK's wealth, you need to go to Dublin and realise that all the embassies, HQ' of industry etc.etc. are there, just like London.
You do not see this in Belfast, Edinburgh or Cardiff, or England's regional centres such as Manchester, Liverpool, Leeds, Birmingham, Bristol etc.
London is only apparently wealthy because it sucks blood from the rest of the country.

Advertisers