Considering an electric, but worried about theft.

amrbekhit

Just Joined
Jul 1, 2007
Hello all,

Recently I've been thinking about getting an electric bike. Currently, I cycle from home to Leeds Univerisity where I study (8 miles there and back), but that's pretty much the only cycle-communting I do, because the route isn't too hilly. However, there are several places I often visit around the city which I've cycled to once or twice, but then subsequently used busses, due to the length/hilliness of the route. So an electric would certainly see me cycling to those places.

The issue I'm worried about is theft. Regular, cheaper bikes get stolen all the time, so surely a £600+ electric is a meaty target, especially since they look quite different too. The problem of theft defeats my objective, since I won't take the bike to many places if I don't feel I can safely leave it locked.

So, since you're all electric cyclists, what are your opinions and suggestions on the matter? Has anyone (heaven forbid) had their electric stolen? Or is the trend that you don't lock it in public places too often due to the risk of it being stolen?

Thanks

--Amr

JohnInStockie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2006
Stockport, SK7
Hi Amr

Theft is something that we all have to deal with and there are many techniques for trying to thwart bike theft.

Most e-bikes are not (yet) a major target for bike thieves as they only appeal to a smaller audience, look 'odd', and the makes are not well known. Additionally how does the recipient charge the thing.

The Axa SL7 lock is a good one that makes the bike impossible to ride if stolen, and there is an optional cable lock that goes with it thats quite good. Some members also recommend bike alarms of various types that go off if the bike is being moved. But if your REALLY REALLY scared of theft, then I can recommend the Kryptonite New York Locks, they are not cheap, and can be quite heavy, but they are really really tough and I doubt if anyone, even a professional could break them within 30 mins which means your 'opportunist' bike thief is far less likely to even consider it.

My view on the cost of the security of the bike is basically if I am prepared to spend £20 on a system for a £200 bike, then I should think about spending a good deal more on a bike that costs £1000.

Hope that helps

John

electric.mike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 16, 2007
grimsby
if your situation is dicey then insurance with an insurance approved lock,locked to a fixed object should cover you,look at cyclegaurd.

mike

prState

Pedelecer
Jun 14, 2007
Las Vegas, Nevada
Maybe they have more skilled thieves where you are, but I've had good luck with a u-lock and a cable on my Giant. At one time I even had two u-locks on it, but this seems to work well enough. I think I've parked in pretty high theft areas.

In fact, I recommend two u-locks if you're really worried.

Sometimes, here, trying to find a fixed object to lock it too can be a little bit of trouble. I've rarely left mine free standing, unless I can keep an eye on it.

Is it more common to not leave them locked to something there? That would be a problem here. I don't think I would still have it if I did that on a regular basis.

Once you've put locks on for awhile, it takes almost no time at all to lock it up, so it's not really too inconvenient. Better than coming out to no bicycle.

Ian

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 1, 2007
Leicester LE4, UK.
Hi Amr,

theft is a worry and at least one member of this forum has been a victim.
Weight is not such an issue with e-bikes and it is perfectly feasible to carry a heavy duty motorcycle lock around which should thwart all but the most determined thief. Some of us also have alarms fitted which add another layer of security and insurance is available.. at a price, although most of us choose to do without.

On a positive note an e-bike should have the speed to escape the muggers who it seems we are all at risk from in todays cities.

prState

Pedelecer
Jun 14, 2007
Las Vegas, Nevada
Woo, some of you have a Fahgettaboudit chain for your bikes? I have that for my scooter. That's a lot of weight if you're talking about the 5 foot version. Anyway, as a suggestion, like I said, you might find two good quality u-locks just as flexible in use as a big chain for almost any circumstances. Two of the medium to high security Krypto ones will cost you about the same as the chain alone. Probably less than half the weight. I suppose if one is the MTB one, you can accommodate thicker posts or trees if necessary. I have two regular ones though.

When I didn't really need the second one (like in a bike rack) I could still lock the front wheel to the frame with one of them. It should look fairly discouraging to a bike thief.