Help! considering first battery rebuild ,beginner needs advice

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
As mentioned it's isn't hard if one does it correctly and methodically.
Never connect the BMS sense connector until all soldering is finished and one has double checked the voltage increase is correct, other wise if incorrect one will blow the BMS.
The sense wires connector has B0/B- marked on the pcb and the wire is usually Black. The rest can be White , Red or sometimes multicoloured. From B0/B- they are numbered in sequence.
Write 1 -14 on a bit of paper and then the approx. voltage increase one expects to see.
For example if cell groups are approx 3.5v write down the voltage increase as 3.5v, 7v, 10.5v, 14v, 17.5v etc ,etc..
Starting at the cell group with the thick Black battery wire attached this is B0/B-, so the Black sense wire B0/B- also attachs to th same solder point. The next cell groups on that side will all be even so 2,4,6,8,10.12 & 14 will be the last wire with the thick Red attached, the other face will be 1,3,5,7,9,11 & 13.

If unsure just post a pic of both sides and I will mark number the cells for you by editing the pic.

Reactions: WheezyRider

minexplorer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2017
Four Lanes,Cornwall
As mentioned it's isn't hard if one does it correctly and methodically.
Never connect the BMS sense connector until all soldering is finished and one has double checked the voltage increase is correct, other wise if incorrect one will blow the BMS.
The sense wires connector has B0/B- marked on the pcb and the wire is usually Black. The rest can be White , Red or sometimes multicoloured. From B0/B- they are numbered in sequence.
Write 1 -14 on a bit of paper and then the approx. voltage increase one expects to see.
For example if cell groups are approx 3.5v write down the voltage increase as 3.5v, 7v, 10.5v, 14v, 17.5v etc ,etc..
Starting at the cell group with the thick Black battery wire attached this is B0/B-, so the Black sense wire B0/B- also attachs to th same solder point. The next cell groups on that side will all be even so 2,4,6,8,10.12 & 14 will be the last wire with the thick Red attached, the other face will be 1,3,5,7,9,11 & 13.

If unsure just post a pic of both sides and I will mark number the cells for you by editing the pic.
thanks wheezyrider and nealh will get onto it with your instructions over next few days.batt def not charging without those wires

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Before even getting too involved, write down the 14 cell group voltages to see if it is worth the effort.
The battery if wildly out of balance certainly won't it self stand a chance of balancing it self without manual intervention.

minexplorer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2017
Four Lanes,Cornwall
Before even getting too involved, write down the 14 cell group voltages to see if it is worth the effort.
The battery if wildly out of balance certainly won't it self stand a chance of balancing it self without manual intervention.
hi nealh. the battery will never be great if you remember the saga you helped me with a cpl years back. certainly i found i could adjust the charger to charge to a lower top voltage which helped stop the lower groups to stay close to those that could charge more fully if allowed. ive decided ill just use it for now as it stands rather than just bin it,even though thats a reduced range and efficiency. i can manually charge groups the mobile phone method you told me about years ago ,which i used . better to get a bit of use out of it. much thanks