controller box loose

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
It's easy enough to make brackets out of a bit of aluminium strip. All you need is a pair of pliers to bend the ends and a drill to make two holes for the screws. That's how I fixed a standard box to this one:

After i converted it, the owner said he wanted it to look nice, so i made it like this:

Last edited:
Reactions: Tony1951

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
DIY replacement bracket/ strips from the recycle bin, drinks/food tins and thick plastic hdpe containers would be my first choice..

billyboya

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
uk
Well on the controller case there is 4 screws, and they was held on seat pipe with these 2 plastic clips which keep breaking so wont be using those anymore. I can replace screws and maybe find some metal strips or strong wire to tighten around housing and fasten to those screws

D

Deleted member 16246

It's easy enough to make brackets out of a bit of aluminium strip. All you need is a pair of pliers to bend the ends and a drill to make two holes for the screws. That's how I fixed a standard box to this one:
View attachment 57664

After i converted it, the owner said he wanted it to look nice, so i made it like this:

View attachment 57665
You gotta love those Raleigh Twenties.

I bought an old one for one of my daughter's in law and did it up a bit. It rode well and then I converted the lights to 12 volt LEDs using a voltage doubler circuit from the built in dynamo. Nice and bright, now from very low speed.

Sad to say, now she has two kids it isn't getting used.

AntonyC

Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2022
Surrey
I'd use a fat black ziptie and some rubber e.g. inner tube between frame and box to stop it slipping. It's cheap, there's nothing to make and it'll show less than alu strips.
You can get strip metal pipe clamps the shape of your originals, with optional rubber sleeves, but the bends only hold a light tension so they tend to slip.

billyboya

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
uk
I'd use a fat black ziptie and some rubber e.g. inner tube between frame and box to stop it slipping. It's cheap, there's nothing to make and it'll show less than alu strips.
You can get strip metal pipe clamps the shape of your originals, with optional rubber sleeves, but the bends only hold a light tension so they tend to slip.

Yeah I was also thinking to use zipties with rubber around seat post so it wont slip. or maybe use some strong wire, as I can fasten the end to a screw then tighten up

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Look on ebay for saddle clips , plastic, copper, steel . One can select material and size to suit ones needs.

billyboya

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
uk
Look on ebay for saddle clips , plastic, copper, steel . One can select material and size to suit ones needs.

Yeah that would be even better, as I had 2 clips like this before, didnt know they was called saddle clips, but wont get plastic as mine both cracked, metal would be better and stronger or steel ones. But dont know what size my old plastic ones are, which I posted images of in post 84 above I think they maybe about 3 1/2mm its size of seat post I need

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Yeah that would be even better, as I had 2 clips like this before, didnt know they was called saddle clips, but wont get plastic as mine both cracked, metal would be better and stronger or steel ones. But dont know what size my old plastic ones are, which I posted images of in post 84 above I think they maybe about 3 1/2mm its size of seat post I need
You go by the size of the tube in the frame. Get some cardboard and cut a slot in it about the same size as the frame tube. Put it onto the tube to check it's the same size. Keep repeating until you get it right, then measure the width in the slot to get the tube size.

32mm is a common size for a seat tube. If you don't want to make your own brackets with about 10 minutes work, you can buy ready-made ones. If yours isn't 32mm, you can see other sizes further down the page:

billyboya

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
uk
You go by the size of the tube in the frame. Get some cardboard and cut a slot in it about the same size as the frame tube. Put it onto the tube to check it's the same size. Keep repeating until you get it right, then measure the width in the slot to get the tube size.

32mm is a common size for a seat tube. If you don't want to make your own brackets with about 10 minutes work, you can buy ready-made ones. If yours isn't 32mm, you can see other sizes further down the page:
My old plastic saddle clips in my post 84 would you say they same size as you posted in link

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
My old plastic saddle clips in my post 84 would you say they same size as you posted in link
You have to measure the tube, like I explained, or you can measure the inside diameter of your clamps with a ruler or tape measure. I think they should be 32mm, but best to check.

billyboya

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
uk
You have to measure the tube, like I explained, or you can measure the inside diameter of your clamps with a ruler or tape measure. I think they should be 32mm, but best to check.
I am not very good at measuring things, but it seems the gap for seat post is 35mm, 1st image
the width including holes is 55mm 2nd image, and width between holes is 45mm 3rd image

So what size clips do I need as most look to be 32mm

Last edited:

AntonyC

Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2022
Surrey
@saneagle I used thick washers under the screw heads to keep the bends in those pipe clamps from sagging under tension, or lessen it anyway. Am I doing it wrong? Didn't seem worth the faff but I've a load left over (although smaller than 36mm I think).

billyboya

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
uk
can anyone advise or send me a link what size clips i need, as like i said above the gap is 35mm

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
32mm is virtually there, you will probably have some gaps between the clips and box when secured and may even need slightly longer screws too (dont think you will tho)

when re-purposing pipe clips your kinda limited to the sizes of the original pipes intended for the clips to be used with.. and slightly smaller is when optimum sizes are unavailable is better than slightly too big imho ;)

edit I doubt any persuasion of the smaller clips will be necessary, the screws when tightened will pull the clip into shape, if not a few taps with a hammer will open up (widen) the clip if needed

billyboya

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
uk
32mm is virtually there, you will probably have some gaps between the clips and box when secured and may even need slightly longer screws too (dont think you will tho)

when re-purposing pipe clips your kinda limited to the sizes of the original pipes intended for the clips to be used with.. and slightly smaller is when optimum sizes are unavailable is better than slightly too big imho ;)

edit I doubt any persuasion of the smaller clips will be necessary, the screws when tightened will pull the clip into shape, if not a few taps with a hammer will open up (widen) the clip if needed
Ok many thanks for the info will go ahead and order some. It’s most appreciated thank you