Converting from Swytch to standard equipment

Cisco-man

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 27, 2023
It might work and it might not. All we know is that every time someone can't get the PAS to work, it's a 12 magnet one. They then buy an 8 or 10 magnet one and it works. I've had 12 magnet ones work OK, and on one bike (Freego)with OEM controller, the guy broke his pedal sensor., which was a large 8 (?) magnet one. The only one I could find in that size had 12 magnets. I couldn't make it work, then I took out every other magnet to convert it to 6 magnets, and it worked perfectly.
Ah, so if I have trouble (expected), then I just remove alternate magnets - that’s easily done! Thanks.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Beacause the original controller is shite!
but the whole set is chosen to hang well together. You'll end up killing prematurely what has not been upgraded.

Cisco-man

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 27, 2023
Your patience in this is appreciated. If I get the KT36/48SVPR-EP02B, then connecting the motor is obvious as to which connector (see attached). The three-pin orange julet connector is either throttle or PAS, two-pin male is a puzzle - as is the nine pin. What are they? Surely there’s a web site somewhere that actually gives straight-up detail on these controllers.

Attachments

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
but the whole set is chosen to hang well together. You'll end up killing prematurely what has not been upgraded.
Yes, they hang well together, but you want an ebike control system that works well, not just hangs around in a bag. I always judge my ebike parts by how well they work and last, not by how nice they look.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Your patience in this is appreciated. If I get the KT36/48SVPR-EP02B, then connecting the motor is obvious as to which connector (see attached). The three-pin orange julet connector is either throttle or PAS, two-pin male is a puzzle - as is the nine pin. What are they? Surely there’s a web site somewhere that actually gives straight-up detail on these controllers.
I would always avoid the controllers with those moulded connectors. They're not needed, they have compatibility issues and you can't test anything because you can't get your probes on the pins when they're connected. Point 5 in my post #14 list. You need to read and disgest it.

Cisco-man

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 27, 2023
“You thought the connectors for your previous controller were the same as KT ones because they fit” was tooo subtle. Now I know it translates to “Don’t buy a controller with moulded connectors”, I have learnt and absorbed!

Reactions: saneagle

Cisco-man

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 27, 2023
I think I’m there!
So a good choice for swytch people moving onto a KT controller, would be these controllers plus a display (attached) - both readily available on eBay.

Attachments

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Yes, they hang well together, but you want an ebike control system that works well, not just hangs around in a bag. I always judge my ebike parts by how well they work and last, not by how nice they look.
I can see in Cisco-Man and NealH the same tinkerer's spirit and ability but would the OP (rig the jig) be looking for the same flexibility?

Last edited:

rig the jig

Pedelecer
Dec 29, 2019
I can see in Cisco-Man and NealH the same tinkerer's spirit and ability but would the OP (rig the jig) be looking for the same flexibility?
No I'm not, I'm looking for a good quality solution that works, that won't stress me too much to set up. If necessary I can solder, but I hope I don't have to. Rig the jig

Reactions: Woosh

Cisco-man

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 27, 2023
It might work and it might not. All we know is that every time someone can't get the PAS to work, it's a 12 magnet one. They then buy an 8 or 10 magnet one and it works. I've had 12 magnet ones work OK, and on one bike (Freego)with OEM controller, the guy broke his pedal sensor., which was a large 8 (?) magnet one. The only one I could find in that size had 12 magnets. I couldn't make it work, then I took out every other magnet to convert it to 6 magnets, and it worked perfectly.
Ebay wins out again. They do a nice eight-magnet KT PAS for £17.

Attachments

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
No I'm not, I'm looking for a good quality solution that works, that won't stress me too much to set up. If necessary I can solder, but I hope I don't have to. Rig the jig
you can replace the battery with one that has more capacity like a 36V 15AH or 20AH and keep the rest like they are. It's an easy 15 minute job. Soldering is not required.

rig the jig

Pedelecer
Dec 29, 2019
you can replace the battery with one that has more capacity like a 36V 15AH or 20AH and keep the rest like they are. It's an easy 15 minute job. Soldering is not required.
Thanks for quick reply , would you have a link to those items on Ebay just the controller and display. Thanks Rig the jig.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
I think I’m there!
So a good choice for swytch people moving onto a KT controller, would be these controllers plus a display (attached) - both readily available on eBay.
That's what I'd get. The motor would be OK with 17A, but the Swytch battery might not because it's very small. In that case, there should be the possibility to turn the current down a bit in the settings (C5). If not, the next option is to file a groove in the shunt, and if you don't want to do that, you can just use up to level 4 and no throttle, assuming you have it set to "torque simulation" mode. If you use your own battery, then make sure it can handle 17A.

Reactions: Cisco-man

rig the jig

Pedelecer
Dec 29, 2019
Ebay wins out again. They do a nice eight-magnet KT PAS for £17.
Hi Cisco-man I'm just learning to use this site, would you have a link to the Ebay site with the 36V KT controller and display suitable for the swytch conversion. Thanks, Rig the jig.

Last edited:

Cisco-man

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 27, 2023
Hi. Here’s a link for the controller
Here’s the display
Here’s the PAS

Cisco-man

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 27, 2023
Hi Rig the Jig. I’m pretty sure this is a winning set of parts, but I’ve just pulled them off the web quickly this afternoon. i normally would spend an hour or two checking the detail to be sure. For instance, KT do various displays - I think I’ve read that the LCD5 is the best choice, but I’d normally research tha before buying.

rig the jig

Pedelecer
Dec 29, 2019
Hi Rig the Jig. I’m pretty sure this is a winning set of parts, but I’ve just pulled them off the web quickly this afternoon. i normally would spend an hour or two checking the detail to be sure. For instance, KT do various displays - I think I’ve read that the LCD5 is the best choice, but I’d normally research tha before buying.
My problem is I don't know these parts or what type of connections I need , and I cant see what type of connections are on the controllers.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
My problem is I don't know these parts or what type of connections I need , and I cant see what type of connections are on the controllers.
tell us what you don't like in the old system. We'll tell you what you need to spend. Don't just follow the advice because it's given to you by knowledgeable members. It is easy for them to cobble together parts and they don't even need to read the manuals but you will have to look after the kit yourself.

Reactions: Cisco-man

Cisco-man

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 27, 2023
tell us what you don't like in the old system. We'll tell you what you need to spend. Don't just follow the advice because it's given to you by knowledgeable members. It is easy for them to cobble together parts and they don't even need to read the manuals but you will have to look after the kit yourself.
Fully support what Whoosh is saying. I had mentally made note that you announced yourself in your first post as a techy. There is no easy path here - every step will need testing and some fettling e.g. this KT controller isn’t going to fit in your existing swytch holder.

Advertisers