Could you support this please if in the UK

Saracen

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2023
Forward the email below to your potential supporters.

5 people need to click the link and confirm their support for us to check your petition.

Once you’ve gained the required number of supporters, we’ll check your petition to make sure it meets the petition standards. If it does, we’ll publish it. This usually takes a week or less.

Once your petition has 21 signatures it won’t be able to add more until it’s been checked by the petitions team. So, please wait until it’s been checked and published before sharing it more widely.

Thanks,
The Petitions team
UK Government and Parliament

I’ve made a petition – will you sign it?

Click this link to sign the petition:
https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/643352/sponsors/new?token=7xwWXsFPnPhverN7tr1R

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
It's a petition to allow petition signings, without knowing what they're for?

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
The longer the mystery lasts the more sinister the petition appears..

Its possibly for something completely reasonable like a 'Proper Brexit':)

only @Saracen knows..

• Disagree
Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
It doesn't say what the petition is for.
Gonna give us a clue as to what the petition is for before anyone clicks?
It's a petition to allow petition signings, without knowing what they're for?
Of course it doesn't say, the OP and his son are both autistic and that in part is what autism is about.

So we have to guess to make allowances for that autism, and a fair bet is that the petition is about autistic rights and provisions.

Information Link

Saracen

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2023
Sorry I must find a better link which says

It is to increase the motor capacity on bikes for the disabled up to 500W and keep the speed limited so that disabled people have more assistance

Saracen

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2023
Of course it doesn't say, the OP and his son are both autistic and that in part is what autism is about.

So we have to guess to make allowances for that autism, and a fair bet is that the petition is about autistic rights and provisions.

Information Link

My fault I thought it took you TO the petition as I wanted motors up to 500w on e bikes for disabled people with NO increase in speed so that someone with say one leg (amputee) or just elderly using hands had more assistance

• Informative

Saracen

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2023
I will try to find the actual petition :(

Saracen

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2023
No one should sign without seeing it :(

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
Sorry I must find a better link which says

It is to increase the motor capacity on bikes for the disabled up to 500W and keep the speed limited so that disabled people have more assistance
In which case it wold be a pleasure to sign up..

Cheers.

• Agree

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
My fault I thought it took you TO the petition as I wanted motors up to 500w on e bikes for disabled people with NO increase in speed so that someone with say one leg (amputee) or just elderly using hands had more assistance
This is a difficult request often previously made, the reason why it is difficult is that the authorities consider it already met by the L1e-A motor vehicle class, also informally known as Low Powered Moped.

That is usually bicycle based like our pedelecs and restricted to 15.5 mph assist speed, but allows up to 1000 Watts motor rating. Of course that does have motor vehicle restrictions, but they are not as difficult. For example the driving licence class is Group Q, the easiest of all to get. However it does mean the hassle of getting third party insurance etc.

I agree with you though, and would like this L1e-A class removed from motor vehicle requirements. Unfortunately the government have further complicated the situation by including the hire e-scooter trial machines into Group Q, so until the trial ends and that is resolved, I can't see any change is likely.

• Informative
Reactions: PC2017

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
I will gladly sign your petition.

Understanding how ebikes work can make a big difference. You can squeeze out a lot of omph from perfectly legal kits.

• Agree

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
Understanding how ebikes work can make a big difference. You can squeeze out a lot of omph from perfectly legal kits.
Which is a point made on here often.

My own 36V 250W ebikes are apparently at the low end of the level of assist that can be provided I have tried my eBikes in ghost pedal mode on hills and they are OK. From comments on this forum I could apparently increase assist quite a bit by use of 48V and a good choice of motor.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Is it safe or even possible for a person with one leg to ride on a bike?
Yes, with difficulty on an unassisted bicycle or a pedelec without a throttle, but much easier on a pedelec with a throttle that allows a powered getaway.

We have at least two members with one leg, member Stumpy also rides a powerful motorcycle, its registration plate making it clear he has only one leg!