The Revised 2007 edition of The Highway Code mentions the following crossings:

1. Zebra
2. Pelican
3. Touan
4. Puffin
5. Equestrian
6. Cycle Only Crossing

What are Puffin Crossings?:confused:

Rule 129 is intersting: Drivers MUST NOT overtake a pedal bicycle, horse or road maintenance vehicle unless they are travelling at 10 mph or less.:D

It must be frustrating for drivers to be behind an e-bike on roads with double white lines.;)

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
A Puffin crossing is the latest type of Pelican crossing, but having the pedestrian indicator lights (red/green figures) on the pedestrian's side, not the other side of the road. This enables the pedestrian wishing to cross to have the indicator lights in line of sight at the same time as watching the oncoming traffic.

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
They've renamed the Pegasus crossing then, it wasn't that hard to work out. :(

I'm not a fan of the Puffin crossing as it's not clear when to cross if you are used to Pelican crossings.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
They've renamed the Pegasus crossing then, it wasn't that hard to work out. :(

I'm not a fan of the Puffin crossing as it's not clear when to cross if you are used to Pelican crossings.
All the other websites seem to still use the Pegasus name, so i think the Highway Code people are the ones out of line.

I've never been a pedestrian on a puffin crossing yet so no idea of what the experience is like, it just seemed a good idea in passing across them.

Advertisers