Cyclamatic: The Beastamatic is dead! Long live the Beastamatic

• Thread starter Deleted member 4366
  • Start date

mw1

Pedelecer
Apr 15, 2014
Hull, E.Yorks
I do believe that some owners on this forum have used a 36v battery with the existing controller, but don't quote me lol.
I use a 36v battery with the stock 24v controller & no problems after a good few hundred miles. I should think it would handle being soldered 25% ok, I hope so coz no doubt I'll give it a try at some point .
Regards Mark

D

Deleted member 4366

I use a 36v battery with the stock 24v controller & no problems after a good few hundred miles. I should think it would handle being soldered 25% ok, I hope so coz no doubt I'll give it a try at some point .
Regards Mark
Even if you did burn out the controller, you can get a 36v replacement one for about £20, or you can spend £60 and get a nice sinewave one with LCD that will give you 5 levels of assist, which is much better, plus it would smooth out and quieten your motor.

Reactions: mw1

mw1

Pedelecer
Apr 15, 2014
Hull, E.Yorks
Thanks for the reply D8veh.Yeah I know I can get another controller for not much money, it's just that I'd like to keep the original & in it's original position if poss( just coz I'm like that, lol ) & I think I might struggle to find one small enough. As you know, the stock controller is tiny.
Regards, Mark
PS, May post to ask advice re repairing a controller for an Izip CB26 in the near future, lol.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Still on the idea of a simple booster pack... I found this on youtube. You've probably seen it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAKgDdc ... _&index=39

This guy added a booster back and literally just spliced the pack into the wire that runs from the battery to the motor. I'm assuming he is splicing into the battery wire coming out of the controller... would love you thoughts on this approach.
sdavis
He has attached a battery in series to increase voltage. I was under the impression that the booster pack would have to be the same amperage as the main battery for that to work well. I am on my tiny screen sorry can't link to the thread, do a search for lipo booster there are several threads.

Steve davis

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 20, 2016
Ann Arbor,Mi
He has attached a battery in series to increase voltage. I was under the impression that the booster pack would have to be the same amperage as the main battery for that to work well. I am on my tiny screen sorry can't link to the thread, do a search for lipo booster there are several threads.
Yes, not sure how the controller deals with it either. Will do the search you recommend.

D

Deleted member 4366

You can boost the battery from 24v to 36v by adding in thee extra cells. They don't need to be the same amp-hours as the main battery, but if the booster has less Ah, you have to monitor its voltage very carefully. They need to be able to supply at least 15A.

The chance of harming your motor, battery or controller is pretty small, but the chance of wiping out the booster pack is very high if you don't do it properly.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
@d8veh this booster pack idea might just be the jumping off point for me to pass over to 12S 44.4V lipo. It means I could use my current 36V li-ion bottle as a range extender with a 48 V controller.

What effect will adding a 5000mAh 2S 7.4V 60C pack to my li-ion bottle have, will it help fight voltage sag on my long hill climbs? I don't care about extra torque or speed just fighting voltage sag so that I can draw about 12 Amps constant over 4 km.

Steve davis

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 20, 2016
Ann Arbor,Mi
You can boost the battery from 24v to 36v by adding in thee extra cells. They don't need to be the same amp-hours as the main battery, but if the booster has less Ah, you have to monitor its voltage very carefully. They need to be able to supply at least 15A.

The chance of harming your motor, battery or controller is pretty small, but the chance of wiping out the booster pack is very high if you don't do it properly.
Thanks d8! Using the cyclamatic
as an example, would you splice in the booster pack before or after the controller?