Cycle Analyst

joab

Pedelecer
I just got a Cycle Analyst (CA-DPS) on my EZEE kit. I got it legalize my bike as my speed was a bit too high. The CA allows me to limit my speed to legal 25km/u. It also helps a lot to get more distance out of my battery. Yesterday my consumption was only 4,5AH on a 36km trip. Average speed 23km/u. Great tool if you ask me. :D
More information via this link: The Cycle Analyst Homepage - Ebike Amp-Hour and Watt Meter

Regards,
Jo

Conal

Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2007
How to fit?

Joab

I have a few questions that I should have asked Ching and others on the ToB Challenge who had these fitted.

Is the display unit able to be taken off the bike when it is left in public areas?
Is it easy to fit? By this I mean can someone who is not used to customising his/her bike but is fairly handy around the house could attempt the job?
Is the display readable in direct sunlight
Is the display in colour?
Does the unit operate with its own batteries?
I have read the information on the link but could not work out what "stand alone" means. Do you know?
What mader you chose the model you have?

I would appreciate any comments you have. It is always good to hear from someone who has actually experience the use of something.

Conal

joab

Pedelecer
Joab

I have a few questions that I should have asked Ching and others on the ToB Challenge who had these fitted.

Is the display unit able to be taken off the bike when it is left in public areas?
No its wired to the controller.

Is it easy to fit? By this I mean can someone who is not used to customising his/her bike but is fairly handy around the house could attempt the job?
The CA-DPS model is very easy, the stand-alone version will be a bit harder but you would get got support from the seller.
Is the display readable in direct sunlight
I think so, I have not seen the sun lately.

Is the display in colour?
No green/black.

Does the unit operate with its own batteries?
No uses the bike battery.

I have read the information on the link but could not work out what "stand alone" means. Do you know?
Means you are using a controller that has a no connection to support the CA directly.

What mader you chose the model you have?
I have the CA-DPS model on my ezee kit, I had to change my controller.

I would appreciate any comments you have. It is always good to hear from someone who has actually experience the use of something.
I only have it for 2 days but it helps me riding more economic.

Conal
Regards,
Jo

Last edited:

Conal

Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2007
Security

Joab

Thanks for the responses. I guess I will have to wait until they make a dismountable unit as I sometimes have to leave my bike in busy areas of London; Hackney, Statford, and Canary Wharf, to name a few, and I am sure that such an impressive unit would attract some attention. Someone would probably wrench it off thinking it was a mini-computer (which I suppose it is!)

Conal

musicbooks

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2007
Joab

Thanks for the responses. I guess I will have to wait until they make a dismountable unit as I sometimes have to leave my bike in busy areas of London; Hackney, Statford, and Canary Wharf, to name a few, and I am sure that such an impressive unit would attract some attention. Someone would probably wrench it off thinking it was a mini-computer (which I suppose it is!)

Conal
Where exactly do you leave it? :D

bw
musicbooks

Conal

Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2007
Canary Wharf

I travelled to Barclays Wealth (is that now an oxymoron?) at Churchilll Place in Canary Wharf a couple of weeks ago and was not allowed to leave my bike outside. As the few bike locking spaces available on the other side of the road where already used I refused to move and rang the person I was meeting up on my mobile. The security staff insisted that, although I was moved to one end of the building and nowhere near the door, I might obstruct the non-existant rush if I stayed on the pavement. I politely told him to go away. I wonder if he would have treated Alistair Campbell the same way if he turned up on his bike?

Conal

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
I travelled to Barclays Wealth (is that now an oxymoron?) at Churchilll Place in Canary Wharf a couple of weeks ago and was not allowed to leave my bike outside. As the few bike locking spaces available on the other side of the road where already used I refused to move and rang the person I was meeting up on my mobile. The security staff insisted that, although I was moved to one end of the building and nowhere near the door, I might obstruct the non-existant rush if I stayed on the pavement. I politely told him to go away. I wonder if he would have treated Alistair Campbell the same way if he turned up on his bike?

Conal
You spoil the image, all vehicles have to go underground there to keep it pretty. If there wasn't the odd cursory bike rack people would accuse them of not providing cycle parking and that wouldn't do.
I spent several years in Canary Wharf and it's all artificial utopia, the shops and pubs are carefully controlled by the estate managers so nothing unsavoury could open (meaning any company that starts a price war).
I've only noticed 2 shops that bucked this trend - the Wetherspoons which is right out of the way and Bene Bene, a cheap hot food shop that they served an eviction notice on for selling Mars bars as it was against the terms of their lease.
I found it a sanitised hell and I'm really glad to be working in the city now with much more diversity.