Cycling-superhighways routes to be created.

Mike63

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 23, 2008
....maybe they could extend the idea to the rest of the country.

I've never understood why any government does not do more to encourage cycling...it seems like such an obvious idea.

....Mike

HarryB

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2007
London

The superhighways were part of the Boris mayoral manifesto but in the end is just re-packaging old cycle lanes. At least Boris keeps cycling on the agenda with these announcements. As for LibCon transport policy - don't hold your breath. There is no money for anything let alone cycling and despite Cameron and Osborne actually being cyclist I don't think things will improve much.

Since 1997 I have learned to expect nothing and that way you won't be disapppointed!

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The Cycling SuoerHighways were actually Ken Livingstone's policy and intention, announced by him but inherited by Boris Johnson due to the election change in power.

The same has been true of most Boris Johnson so called initiatives, though slashing the cycling budget for London Boroughs was an original idea of his.

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
I regularly use some of these super highways and they are fine when empty but it doesn't take many bikes to cause conjestion, then I'll be out on the road holding the traffic up instead.

CeeGee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 4, 2009
Weybridge, UK
I regularly use some of these super highways and they are fine when empty but it doesn't take many bikes to cause conjestion, then I'll be out on the road holding the traffic up instead.
Until they make it compulsory for cyclists to use the designated lanes - or risk having your bike confiscated. :eek:

Colin

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
Until they make it compulsory for cyclists to use the designated lanes - or risk having your bike confiscated. :eek:

Colin
The police have tried that and got someone convicted for it but there was a bit of an outcry and it got thrown out on appeal. The lesson here is that it's OK not to use cycle paths unless you are holding up a copper.

HarryB

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2007
London
The Cycling SuoerHighways were actually Ken Livingstone's policy and intention, announced by him but inherited by Boris Johnson due to the election change in power.

The same has been true of most Boris Johnson so called initiatives, though slashing the cycling budget for London Boroughs was an original idea of his.
You are right it was originally Ken's idea and I thought it was bit unworkable at the time - interesting that in the end it turned out to be a re-hash of original cycle lanes. I did think that the cycle hire thing was a Boris plan all along and at least that seems to be coming along nicely. Must go back and re-read all the manifesto commitments. On another note I think we might have a bit of a rebellion about the Olympics going on - I never wanted them here in the first place and now we are going to end up footing more of the bill.

Advertisers