Cyclist fined for speeding

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
"The speed limit in Richmond Park is 20mph but whether the rules should apply to cyclists has been questioned."

So you have one speed limit for cars and another one for bikes over there?

The law is the same for everyone here, much easier to understand... :p

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
I'd like to see a few more of these hair-shirt, amateur athletes nicked and fined heavily for their recklessness.

In this particular case, the guy knew the law but judging by his comments after the event, he seems to believe that the police, the courts and the justice system are all wrong and he should be the sole arbiter of what is or is not an appropriate cycling speed on public roads.

That demonstrates sheer arrogance and a complete disregard for others.

Tom

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
So you have one speed limit for cars and another one for bikes over there?

The law is the same for everyone here, much easier to understand... :p
The UK national speed limits are motor vehicle law and don't apply to cyclists so they are free to do any speed on the highway. But certain roads provided by others can have limits set by the provider, in this case the Royal Parks Authorities. You may have no royalty with authority in France, but I'd be surprised if you didn't have others setting different limits with wider applicability, for example on industrial estate roads and other such privately provided roads with public access.

Reactions: Emo Rider

JohnCade

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2014
Free from prosecution under motor vehicle law. But not, as you know from a charge of furious cycling under earlier law.

Reactions: flecc

Emo Rider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 10, 2014
I am presently laughing at this man's displeasure at being fined. The ridiculousness of his argument would make great viewing on a comedy special or as a tragedy on some dark and satirical stage play. He was speeding in a public park with a speed limit set to insure the safety of its users. Public parks are not velodromes and those that break the rules need to pay the price. Wether he was on a bike or in a car is beside the point.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Free from prosecution under motor vehicle law. But not, as you know from a charge of furious cycling under earlier law.
Agreed, but at least there's no on-the-spot penalty ticket and fine for Furious Cycling. A case has to be made.

Reactions: JohnCade

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
In France the road code applies to all who use the road which includes bicycles and... pedestrians! A pedestrian can be fined and, if she has one, lose points on her drivers licence for not respecting the rules of the road.

Local laws define lower speeds than the national fixed speed in specific zones.

It is all very sensible and easy to understand. Your risk of being caught speeding on a bike are pratically nill unless you are a serial offender. The police will come an wait for you if you set off a speed camera several times in a row on your bike.

London Pie

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 20, 2015
I saw a low flying pigeon in Richmond park once and I swear she was doing well over 45mph just before coming in to land not far from the public footpath. Rather than wasting tax payers money fining cyclists who are in total control of their machines they should start locking up these unruly pigeons who are a hazard to all park attendees and have complete and utter disrespect for the law, sometimes they even fly like they have totally lost control!!

Reactions: Emo Rider

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
There are offences of careless and dangerous cycling under the Road Traffic Act 1988.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1988/52/part/I/crossheading/cycling-offences-and-cycle-racing
Indeed there are, and that same act contains the 14 years lower age restriction on riding an e-bike.

But UK roads speed limit law is only directed at motor vehicles with no mention of any form of bicycle. Possibly an anomally due to not thinking bikes can easily break speed limits, perhaps because the limits are often at very high points like 50, 60 and 70 mph.

Like the odd inclusion of that 14 years lower age limit in a Road Traffic Act rather than the e-bike legislation, modern bicycle law is all too often a tacked on afterthought and can seem ill thought out at times.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Indeed there are, and that same act contains the 14 years lower age restriction on riding an e-bike.

But UK roads speed limit law is only directed at motor vehicles with no mention of any form of bicycle. Possibly an anomally due to not thinking bikes can easily break speed limits, perhaps because the limits are often at very high points like 50, 60 and 70 mph.

Like the odd inclusion of that 14 years lower age limit in a Road Traffic Act rather than the e-bike legislation, modern bicycle law is all too often a tacked on afterthought and can seem ill thought out at times.
The report in the OP's link is not entirely clear, but it suggests the cyclist was fined for careless cycling and speeding.

In his stupid rant, the cyclist mentions the copper hiding behind trees with his radar gun.

It could be the speed - as proved by the gun - was used as evidence to support a single charge of careless cycling.

Advertisers