Cyclotricity Stealth Owners thread.

PH001

Pedelecer
May 18, 2016
Harrogate, N. Yorks
Just wanted to add that I have just had my Stealth battery replaced by Cyclotricity. I was having symptoms of high impedance cells as it was dropping down to 2 bars on the LCD after just 1-2 miles of easy riding (after a full overnight charge). Then any modest incline on high assistance would cause the BMS / controller to cut the power. The range was pretty poor too at around 10-12 miles (1000W mode, fairly flat, low assistance)

I'd only done around 400 miles on the bikes from new (so perhaps 20-30 charges or so) and was always left approx half charged to preserve battery life.

It took Cyclotricity quite a few weeks to respond to my mail despite several reminders but eventually they did. I had to ship the battery to them at my expense so that they could test it at their facility. They concluded that it was actually the BMS that was faulty so maybe it wasn't fully charging or perhaps a bad connection in there somewhere causing a volt drop when pulling current.

Either way, they sent me a brand new battery which looks a little different to the old one (same fitment etc but different labelling). By the time this had happened the original battery was just over a year old (so strictly speaking just out of warranty) but I did report the problem when it was about 11 months. All credit to them for honouring that.

What I can say is that the new battery is 100% better. Now the LCD and the indicator on the battery are much more accurate and the bike seems to pull better than it ever did even from new and my range is >20miles.

I'm running in 250W mode now for a while as I have a feeling this is better for the battery and to be honest the 1-5 assistance levels are far better calibrated for 250W.

• Informative
Reactions: Andy Bluenoes

ROJA

Just Joined
May 10, 2017
S Yorkshire
You need a DNP freewheel that has 11T top gear. It'll make your ride miles better.
d8veh is this the same DNP freewheel you are talking about ?
i didn't want to purchase one before double checking it's the correct one for the cyclotricity stealth 1000.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DNP-Epoch-Freewheel-7-Speed-11-28T-with-Removal-Tool-for-14mm-Axles/152627716464?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

(eBay item number:152627716464)
Thanks in advance.

Wheel-E

Pedelecer
Jul 14, 2017
Brighton
Hello! Thanks for all your very helpful posts that it really helped me to know what to expect and helped me make up my mind. I've had my 500w stealth for a couple of weeks now - lots of fun but a few teething troubles. I'm running it at 250w and have a throttle.

Firstly, the battery wouldn't charge. After calling I was offered the choice of sending it back (very frustrating) or opening up and checking the internal fuse. Once inside, along with the blown fuse, a wire had been jammed in the case when it was assembled. I was keen to get it working so patched it up and charged for 12 hrs ready to go!

As mentioned many times, the battery meter on the LCD and the battery are a bit of a mystery. They both seem to measure volts.

I had the wheels off to change the tyres to Marathon Plus, which give a much smoother ride and more predictable cornering. At the same time I changed the freewheel for an 11T via the link below. Unfortunately it was different dimensions to the original and the torqe washer gets jammed inside and grinds on the feeewheel.

d8veh is this the same DNP freewheel you are talking about ?
i didn't want to purchase one before double checking it's the correct one for the cyclotricity stealth 1000.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DNP-Epoch...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

(eBay item number:152627716464)
Thanks in advance.
So far, apart from teething troubles, and minor rusting on small parts, it has been reliable for now. I do have concerns about how close the motor wire is too the brake disc though but extra ties have been helpful.

So far I've added:
  • Schwalbe Marathon Plus
  • Straight handlebar
  • Topeak bar end mirrors
  • SKS mudgaurds
  • Bluetooth tracker
  • New grips
On it's way:
  • Bike alarm
  • Finding an 11T freewheell that fits or a bigger chainring.
  • GPS tracker
  • Avid BB7 front brake

Reactions: ROJA

RobH

Finding my (electric) wheels
Nov 20, 2016
Cheshire
I have a 1000w Stealth and also tried the 11T freewheel. You just need a slightly smaller washer. I actually just filed down the original one about 1mm and it was fine. I found that the bike didn't ride as well with the higher gearing and so I swapped back to the original 13T freewheel.

• Informative
Reactions: Wheel-E

Trevor Appleton

Pedelecer
Aug 21, 2017
North Yorkshire Moors
Had my Stealth 1000 a couple of weeks. 1st trip out I managed 11 miles (haven't used the 1000w mode yet) second time got 4 miles and the motor cut out. When I got it home the battery said charged. On the advice of CYclotricity I put the battery on charge it took somewhere between 0-2 hrs to charge. The voltage read 36 V. Went for a ride and got 300 m before it cut out. Took it home and the voltage read 53 V. Now awaiting a courier to collect the battery to go back to cyclotricity.

D

Deleted member 4366

Eclipse Bikes have some very nice ones. Look at the ones with Samsung 30Q cells.

• Agree
Reactions: Nealh

Wheel-E

Pedelecer
Jul 14, 2017
Brighton
the voltage read 36 V. Went for a ride and got 300 m before it cut out. Took it home and the voltage read 53 V. Now awaiting a courier to collect the battery to go back to cyclotricity.
That's an odd one. Your battery is a 48v one, I can't see how it would read 36v and still work, let alone jump to 53V.

D

Deleted member 4366

That's an odd one. Your battery is a 48v one, I can't see how it would read 36v and still work, let alone jump to 53V.
It's not a real 36v. The BMS shut off leaving just a bit of leakage through the mosfets.

• Informative
Reactions: Wheel-E

Trevor Appleton

Pedelecer
Aug 21, 2017
North Yorkshire Moors
Had my Stealth 1000 a couple of weeks. 1st trip out I managed 11 miles (haven't used the 1000w mode yet) second time got 4 miles and the motor cut out. When I got it home the battery said charged. On the advice of CYclotricity I put the battery on charge it took somewhere between 0-2 hrs to charge. The voltage read 36 V. Went for a ride and got 300 m before it cut out. Took it home and the voltage read 53 V. Now awaiting a courier to collect the battery to go back to cyclotricity.
Almost October and still to ride my Stealth 1000W without problems since ordering early August. Just sending the battery back and getting a replacement (which is allegedly just on its way now has taken endless weeks). 2 cock ups with deliveries of the bike in the first place then 3 cock ups collecting the faulty battery (ie delivery company problems).

Trevor Appleton

Pedelecer
Aug 21, 2017
North Yorkshire Moors
Just to add it is now almost Octgober and despite ordering my Stealth 1000W in early August I am still to have a workable ebike. When the battery was finally replaced which took the best part of a month and charged last night I have just out it in the bike and the LED display is dead.. Cyclotricity are now sending me a cable but frankly I'd rather have my money back.

Nathan74

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 4, 2017
Sheffield
Hi all,

I'm looking at getting an e-bike, so far either a Stealth 500w 21ah, Stealth 1000w 16ah or Oxygen S-Cross. The Stealth‘s power appeals but there’s so many negative comments on just about every component, electrical or mechanical. I’ll be doing 16 miles each way, with a mix of flat and outright hilly terrain (South Yorkshire) so range and reliability are important. Did any of you find the Stealth to be really that difficult to live with? Is the Oxygen noticeably slower in top speed/acceleration or on hills with it's smaller motor? I don’t want to buy a turkey, even if it is rated for 1000w…

Much appreciated,

Nathan

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
Hi all,

I'm looking at getting an e-bike, so far either a Stealth 500w 21ah, Stealth 1000w 16ah or Oxygen S-Cross. The Stealth‘s power appeals but there’s so many negative comments on just about every component, electrical or mechanical. I’ll be doing 16 miles each way, with a mix of flat and outright hilly terrain (South Yorkshire) so range and reliability are important. Did any of you find the Stealth to be really that difficult to live with? Is the Oxygen noticeably slower in top speed/acceleration or on hills with it's smaller motor? I don’t want to buy a turkey, even if it is rated for 1000w…

Much appreciated,

Nathan
Oxygen all the way.

If you look at my previous posts, you’ll see why.
I’ve had both bikes and currently do 19 miles each way on the oxygen and it’s been brilliant almost 2000 miles in. In that time with the stealth, it probably spent a month off road for repairs.

You can get higher speed from the stealth, but not massively, and range will be about 10 miles if you put it in high power mode.

I’ve done 24 miles comfortably on one charge with around 30% left on the oxygen.

I could just about do 15 on the 1000 watt stealth before the battery died.

If the choice is between those two, it’s a no brainier.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: Nathan74

topographer

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 13, 2017
Mid Yorkshire
If the choice is between those two, it’s a no brainier.
Andy, how did the Stealth do on hills? I imagine it'll power up moderate hills at high speed but do poorly on very steep hills? I suppose you don't have any steep hills on the Chesire plain do you? So perhaps you can't answer.

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
Andy, how did the Stealth do on hills? I imagine it'll power up moderate hills at high speed but do poorly on very steep hills? I suppose you don't have any steep hills on the Chesire plain do you? So perhaps you can't answer.
The route I used the stealth on was pretty flat, but I did take it up a few moderate slopes, and it did struggle a bit. I think its more designed for higher top end than torque.
I have moved since then, my route is again fairly flat, but with a few longish slopes which the oxygen happily cruises up at 20mph. I cant give a direct comparison as I never used both bikes on the same route, but overall feeling is the oxygen would be better on any hills.

Advertisers