Cyclotricity Stealth Owners thread.

Ross_Dr

Pedelecer
Sep 25, 2017
Southampton
I have owned my stealth for most of this year now i think and used it on 250 mode and 1000w mode. I find 1000w mode extremely fun, but i always try to use 250w as i use it to commute, still manage close to 20mph but my range is about 35miles instead of 16 which is quite the difference, i do have a 16AH battery though. Only issue i have had so far is after some heavy useage the rear wheel developed error 3 but got replaced under warranty as soon as i got chance to call up.

Ross

Reactions: Wheel-E
D

Deleted member 4366

Those 500w motors are very inefficient at legal speeds. They climb poorly and they're a pig to ride when your battery runs out, which won't be long after you set off due to its inefficiency. I wouldn't recommend one. Those motors need to be run at much higher currents to get the best out of them, which means a big heavy battery. with the heavy motor, that converts your bike into an electric motorcycle that can hardly be pedalled.

If you have a flat commute and it's open road without frequent stop-starting, they can still be a good choice

• Informative
Reactions: mike killay

Wheel-E

Pedelecer
Jul 14, 2017
Brighton
I have a 1000w Stealth and also tried the 11T freewheel. You just need a slightly smaller washer. I actually just filed down the original one about 1mm and it was fine. I found that the bike didn't ride as well with the higher gearing and so I swapped back to the original 13T freewheel.
Hi Rob, I'm thinking of having another go at trying to fit the 11 - 28. Can you elaborate on why you feel it didn't ride as well?

I keep increasing the chainwheel size and although it helps, I think I'd rather have the 11T freewheel fitted.

Trevor Appleton

Pedelecer
Aug 21, 2017
North Yorkshire Moors
I have owned my stealth for most of this year now i think and used it on 250 mode and 1000w mode. I find 1000w mode extremely fun, but i always try to use 250w as i use it to commute, still manage close to 20mph but my range is about 35miles instead of 16 which is quite the difference, i do have a 16AH battery though. Only issue i have had so far is after some heavy useage the rear wheel developed error 3 but got replaced under warranty as soon as i got chance to call up.

Ross
Can you explain where you got the 16aH battery? I have the stealth 1000w but don't reminder there being an option above 12 aH?

RobH

Finding my (electric) wheels
Nov 20, 2016
Cheshire
Hi Rob, I'm thinking of having another go at trying to fit the 11 - 28. Can you elaborate on why you feel it didn't ride as well?

I keep increasing the chainwheel size and although it helps, I think I'd rather have the 11T freewheel fitted.
I'm not sure why but it didn't seem to go any faster with the 11T and the motor seemed to be 'hunting' for power and wasn't as smooth. It just seemed that it was better suited to the 13T.

Ross_Dr

Pedelecer
Sep 25, 2017
Southampton
Can you explain where you got the 16aH battery? I have the stealth 1000w but don't reminder there being an option above 12 aH?
Hi There,

They are a fairly new addition to the Cyclotricity range as far as i am aware. I did have the 12 ah up until about September when they got them in, as soon as i head they had them i wanted to extend my range so bought one straight away. Mine was not bought through the website so not sure if they are on there or not.

With regards to the led light on the battery they are not the best of indicators but i have always found the load meter to be pretty accurate and it helps you know how much of the battery you are using at any given time.

Hope this helps!

Ross

Wheel-E

Pedelecer
Jul 14, 2017
Brighton
Thought I'd post a bit of an update on my 500W. My bike has done a grand job of getting me 4 miles each way to work and the occassional longer recreational jaunt of up to 14 miles. It's been very reliable so far, being ridden on maximum PAS and throttle most of the time.

Changes so far:
  • I've removed the front suspension and swapped for carbon fibre - the original forks weren't doing much on the road/packed gravel path. That lost about 1.5kgs.
  • Shorter carbon fibre/aluminium stem. I started by going very short (400mm I think) which made the bike very responsive but almost stressful to ride. Swapped it for a slightly longer one and it feels right now.
  • Carbon fibre flat handlebar, Ergon ergonomic grips - very comfy.
  • Carbon fibre seat post. I was using a cheap suspension post but found it wasn't reacting to the pot holes! Together with a Selle gel saddle I'm more than happy with the carbon post.
  • Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres - bit of a liability in the wet but no punctures!
  • Avid BB7 front brake.
  • Drivetrain changed to 52T front, 11-32 Freewheel. Now using Shimano Acer derraileur (instead of the standard TZ) and trigger shifters. Gear changes are much smoother now.
  • Shunt mod - added a bit of solder and vented the plastic case.
I'm very happy so far.

Attachments

Last edited:

Wheel-E

Pedelecer
Jul 14, 2017
Brighton
I added some small heatsinks. Unfortunately the larger heatsink in the photos wouldn't fit in the case! D'oh! Oh well, the tiny ones that are left will help for now. More are on order.
I then vented the case, with one vent at the front protruding slightly to stop rain flowing into the hole and two at the bottom.
The controller was just loose and audibly bouncing around so I added some sponge to make it more secure.

IMG_20171121_144447677.jpg IMG_20171121_145550553.jpg IMG_20171121_142726285.jpg IMG_20171121_142840814.jpg

Wheel-E

Pedelecer
Jul 14, 2017
Brighton
And thanks to advice from this thread, I finally managed to get the DNP 11T freewheel on! I had to file down a washer slightly as the new freewheel sticks out more than the original.
IMG_20171126_141133246.jpg IMG_20171126_154943379.jpg

D

Deleted member 4366

Nice sensible mods. The carbon fibre stuff is really cheap from Ebay now. You can get complete sets with handlebars, stem and seat-pin.

Wheel-E

Pedelecer
Jul 14, 2017
Brighton
The carbon fibre stuff is really cheap from Ebay now. You can get complete sets with handlebars, stem and seat-pin.
Yes! I was nervous at first, expecting the forks to self destruct but they've been great. The forks were a bit more expensive but £10 each for CF handlebars and seat post is a no brainer.

The extra heatsinks arrived today so I soldered the shunt a bit more. Looking forward to testing that later!

I've changed the settings so it runs in speed mode rather than "imitation torque control".
Lifting the back wheel off the ground (no load) and pressing the throttle on assistance levels 1- 5:
Level 0: 0 MPH and throttle doesn't work.
Level 1: 14.3 MPH
Level 2: 17.5 MPH
Level 3: 20.5 MPH
Level 4: 23.6 MPH
Level 5 27.5 MPH

Ross_Dr

Pedelecer
Sep 25, 2017
Southampton
Those mods look and sound like they have made quite the improvement to the bike! Quite refreshing to see a modified version of the bike with some different aesthetic and some real ingenuity. Making me what to modify mine some more now, nice job!

Ross

PH001

Pedelecer
May 18, 2016
Harrogate, N. Yorks
I had a few problems with my Stealth Battery of late that you can read up on here. I'm not at all convinced by the quality of the BMS in the battery that Cyclotricity source for these bikes.

Advertisers