Dahon Cyclone 360W

Boby

Finding my (electric) wheels
Nov 27, 2008
I tested Dahon with Cyclone kit (360W, 24V). Weight ~22kg, still foldable.

Cyclone kit uses standard chain and existing gears (only rear gears – this kit accepts only one chainring). You may change gears - like in a standard bike, motorcycle or a car with manual gearbox. It gives a lot of fun or is onerous – depending on personal preferences (just like in cars).

Gearbox in a bike has another virtue which may be of crucial importance for some users. Motor hub has only one gear (if geared) or has no gears (direct drive). Usually it can go fast but is not strong or even completely weak at low speeds.

Cyclone motor (at the 1st or 2nd gear car equivalent) can effectively help climbing and offers good acceleration. Cyclone home page shows bikes climbing upstairs (http://cyclone-tw.com). This trick may not be attainable for motor hubs because of their lower torque or may require stronger and heavier motors.

Dahon Cyclone was equipped with off-road tires. Maximum motor speed ~30 km/h, with rider’s assistance ~35 km/h. The owner declares the range of ~18km (just electric, maximum speed, no stops).

Cyclone motor is not loud but you can hear it working. Actually it is a chain to produce noise, not the motor. Pedals are not symmetrical, Cyclone delivers longer spindle, the left pedal is moved ~3cm away in order to give some space for the motor. This change is not onerous – at least during short rides.

One important disadvantage of Cyclone system is the increase of the chain rolling resistance. I had an impression that the effort I make to go fast results in ~25 km/h in my bike and only in ~16 km/h in Dahon Cyclone (no electricity). Therefore using the bike without electric assistance may be a problem.

Bigger chain rolling resistance may be my impression only. But it can be measured with ease. If my diagnosis is correct – it will mean that the Cyclone kit is underdeveloped.

Other electric kit makers offer chain drive systems which probably do not increase the chain rolling resistance – eg. eLation (eLation eBikes) or Epac (http://www.epacpower.com.au/Epac_Home.html). The problem with eLation or Epac is their adoption for folding bikes.

Attachments