Delimit Carrera Crossfire E

redcup1999

Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2016
Bristol
Your hub is probably already giving more then 400w power, if you have a 15a controller @ 36v power output will be over 500w on full power.
Agreed - the Crossfire-E puts out over 400w as standard - this is confirmed in the Suntour Documentation that comes with the bike. Also confirmed by comparing hill climbing performance with my Kudos Tornado @15amps.

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing
D

Deleted member 4366

Let's just get one thing straight in case there's any confusion. Releasing the speed limit doesn't change the power in any way. The motor will almost certainly make less power above 15 mph, so there's no extra strain on it. It's much worse for the motor, the controller and the battery when you go slow than when you go fast.

There's no way that the controller can record anything about derestriction, so if any settings are changed and then they were put back as they were before, nobody would know except the person that did it.

• Agree
  • Informative
Reactions: LeighPing and Nealh

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I suspect any changes to power/speed might be possible if there is a data cable from the controller and we only know what wiring it has when some one does some surgery. As yet no one has said whether or not they have tried the lcd button combo's to see if it goes in to advanced settings.

spiderno7

Pedelecer
Jan 4, 2014
Sutton Coldfield
I've read a few people say their Crossfire's cut out higher than 15.5mph, not much more just up to 16.8mph.
I have noticed this... but the speed on GPS never matches the speed on the LCD. The LCD always has a slightly further distance when compared to the GPS at the end of my journey.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

footpump

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 19, 2014
redcup how did you find crossfire vs kudos bpm for hills?
I tried crossfire/Vulcan vs my cd crank drive 16amps 60nm
and used crossfire hill climb mode.
noticed little difference

redcup1999

Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2016
Bristol
Very little difference between Crossfire-e and Kudos @ 15amps for Hill Climbing. Both are excellent climbers. I prefered the overall experience of the Carrera due to the Torque sensor system which gives full power even in ECO mode if you stomp on the pedals.

The Kudos did my test segment in 9:01 and the Crossfire-e in 9:05:
https://www.strava.com/segments/13679427?filter=overall

Both were better than my Greenway Maxdrive for hill climbing until I got hold of a programming lead and upped the current on the Maxdrive. I've not yet had a chance to try the Greenway on my test segment with the new battery and reprogrammed controller, but expect it to be quicker by maybe 20 seconds over the 9 minute segment.

D

Deleted member 4366

Both were better than my Greenway Maxdrive for hill climbing until I got hold of a programming lead and upped the current on the Maxdrive. I've not yet had a chance to try the Greenway on my test segment with the new battery and reprogrammed controller, but expect it to be quicker by maybe 20 seconds over the 9 minute segment.
Please tell us what result you get.

redcup1999

Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2016
Bristol
I will do. Unfortunately I had an "off" yesterday after hitting a greasy patch, so nursing some bruises - it probably won't be for a week or two that I do that segment with the 30Q battery pack decent current.

I can tell you that it was 10:40 on the Greenway Maxdrive with the orginal battery and and more conservative programming. Over 15% slower than either of the hub drive bikes.

• Informative
D

Deleted member 4366

I can tell you that it was 10:40 on the Greenway Maxdrive with the orginal battery and and more conservative programming. Over 15% slower than either of the hub drive bikes.
That's interesting. The only objective test results I've seen before that involved side-by side tests up a mountain were done by a German e-bike magazine. The Panasonic and Bionx hub-motors trounced the Bosch and other crank drives in every performance characteristic, including efficiency!

footpump

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 19, 2014
asked in local ,Halfords today regards de restriction of Carrera/Vulcan nothing in the Halfords info manual, and not heard of one being deristricted was the reply

• Informative

redcup1999

Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2016
Bristol
Just did the segment today on the Greenway (Maxdrive) with 30Q battery pack - 20amp Limit with 80% keep current (equivalent to 16amps I guess).

Result was 9:37 seconds. Now the weather was shocking (rain) and I did have a pannier on the back with maybe 8kg of stuff in. This was 36 seconds slower than the Kudos Tornado with SWX08 hub motor over the same 9 minute route @ 18amps.

I want to try it again with 100% keep current (20amps) and better weather.

But for someone moderately fit (although heavy, I cycle 25+ miles regularly on a road bike), I can't see that there is a massive advantage on the road with hill climbing for crank drive over a hub drive.

If had weaker legs, I can see that the crank drive would be able to pull me up the hill where the hub drive would struggle as the motor drops out of its efficiency zone and stalls.

• Informative
Reactions: Woosh

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
If had weaker legs, I can see that the crank drive would be able to pull me up the hill where the hub drive would struggle as the motor drops out of its efficiency zone and stalls.
I reckon at under 12% gradient, CD bikes don't do any better than a good geared hub assuming the same current draw.

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing and Mal69
D

Deleted member 4366

Don't forget that not all hub-motors are equal. Some can out-climb the regular CDs by a significant margin, and be efficient while they're doing it.

Rolling Sly Stone

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 30, 2017
Hertfordshire
Just about to pull the trigger on a Carrera Crossfire-E from Halfords through cycle2work and been trawling the internet for a solution to derestrict it which has lead me here...

I'm surprised there isn't more information on it tbh! I would have expected this to have been bottomed out one way or another by now. Has anyone approached one of the retailers who sell modified/derestricted bicycles to ask if they can shed any light on the matter?

• Dislike
Reactions: anon4

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
Just about to pull the trigger on a Carrera Crossfire-E from Halfords through cycle2work and been trawling the internet for a solution to derestrict it which has lead me here...
All 3 of my ebikes can be 'marginally' de-restricted. I didn't know about that at the time of buying the first one. Consequently, I never made that mistake with the other two. There are good bikes that de-restrict for less money than a Carrera. A few of them are being sold on here.

D

Deleted member 4366

I'm surprised there isn't more information on it tbh! I would have expected this to have been bottomed out one way or another by now. Has anyone approached one of the retailers who sell modified/derestricted bicycles to ask if they can shed any light on the matter?
There's loads of info on the forum about restriction methods. We rely on owners testing out those methods and finding out what works. Until now, nobody has posted any information about anything they tried, so we're all in the dark.

ncpdnc

Pedelecer
May 28, 2017
Europe!
:)
There are good bikes that de-restrict for less money than a Carrera..
I am looking for a commuter that can handle 14 miles each way. A bit of rolling with very little punctures would be fantastic. :)

Would you mind suggesting few please?
I am having a hard time convincing my employer to sign up for C2W and probably have to fork out in one go.
And these retainers selling their bikes at full RRP are not helping anyone but their shareholders o_O

Advertisers