DfT: Pedal cycles converted to ‘twist and go’ exempt from type approval

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
"The Department for Transport has today confirmed to Pedelecs that an ordinary cycle, already ridden on public roads as such and subsequently converted to a ‘twist and go’ electric bike, will not require type approval."

What an ingenious Government we have, that can come up with such a regulation, correct me if I'm wrong but can this mean that all the company making the conversion has to do is ask the owner to ride his/her new bike to the shop for conversion, or perhaps purchase it on his/her behalf, register the frame in his/her name and ride it round the block before converting it?
How do you interpret this new definition of the law?

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
"The Department for Transport has today confirmed to Pedelecs that an ordinary cycle, already ridden on public roads as such and subsequently converted to a ‘twist and go’ electric bike, will not require type approval."

What an ingenious Government we have, that can come up with such a regulation, correct me if I'm wrong but can this mean that all the company making the conversion has to do is ask the owner to ride his/her new bike to the shop for conversion, or perhaps purchase it on his/her behalf, register the frame in his/her name and ride it round the block before converting it?
How do you interpret this new definition of the law?
Actually it doesn't have to be ridden first, this legal loophole equally applies to a conversion from all new components, so long as it is a genuine conversion with bike and motor kit purchased separately, bike first, and not a dodge used by a manufacturer or supplier. Obviously anyone converting in this way should ensure they have separate invoices dated in the right sequence, first bike, then kit. Doing it all in one go with a shop won't do.

The DfT have emphasised second hand/prior use in an attempt to avoid abuse of the latter nature.

• Informative

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Actually it doesn't have to be ridden first, this legal loophole equally applies to a conversion from all new components, so long as it is a genuine conversion with bike and motor kit purchased separately, bike first, and not a dodge used by a manufacturer or supplier. Obviously anyone converting in this way should ensure they have separate invoices dated in the right sequence, first bike, then kit. Doing it all in one go with a shop won't do.

The DfT have emphasised second hand/prior use in an attempt to avoid abuse of the latter nature.
Ah well two invoices with perhaps one day difference in the dates will do?
Some defence against abuse, but never mind, at least it means you can get a throttle only conversion legally, yes?

• Agree

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Ah well two invoices with perhaps one day difference in the dates will do?
Some defence against abuse, but never mind, at least it means you can get a throttle only conversion legally, yes?
Yes indeed, at last the situation cleared up for self builders.

I doubt anyone will ever get challenged on the throttle issue though, we never did on the 250 watts when the limit was 200 watts.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
if you can change the speed limit it dont matter if its 100w or 5000w its still illegal as you can change the settings.

like a off road switch,dont matter if it has a throttle or not same thing.

bloody stupid laws id set the limit at mac 1 and antimatter batts 0.5g each ;)

Advertisers