Disabled cyclist; with one bad choice behind her, needs help with a new bike

Katymac

Pedelecer
Mar 18, 2017
Norfolk
I know what I don't want (I already have that)

I need a low step through, with shedloads of power to take me not very fast, everywhere, even up hills

I needs to be light, with big wheels, suspension, very sit up and beg

In fact a complete cross between the 2 bikes I have

The crusa is too heavy and all the weight is at the back so it's unstable when I walk with it or load it on the train

The fazua is too big for me I can't get my leg over the bar and my legs aren't strong enough to register on the torque/motor

Attachments

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Typically the lightest bike may be a small folder type around 20 - 22kg.
The newer style designed Wisper Wyfarer step thru bikes are still a heavy 26 - 28 kg in weight.
The Wisper Tailwinds are a bit lighter 21 kg - 22kg but they have a slightly different low crossbar design, a halfway bewteen a stepthru and crossbar.

What you want doesn't really exist for your needs so one is going to have to ocompromiseon something, power control system of the Crusa works for you which is found on a lot of bikes , the new bike has the wrong power system for your needs so the more specalist type of bike is out.
Weight is where you will have to compromise and accept it goes hand in hand with most bikes that will suit your needs because of the power you need and the simpler rideability of the PAS system.

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
We tend to recommend the reliable brands ( often ones not familiar with public as they are specalist e bike brands only) these brands are amonsgt the oldest supplied brands available and with the great CS they are known for, but not main stream names that most people will have heard of.
Typically Wisper and Woosh are two of those and they keep spares and are reliable.
Once you venture into other brands that are a bit more niche then you will need the same type of service , often these niches are around for afew years then disappear or once they have your custom cna be hard to deal with or have the bike repaired due to lack of dealers or UK support.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The issue today vs 10 years go is that ebikes are being sold by every body and choosing the better bike for ones needs is getting harder . Typically Wipser and Woosh don't sell you just any old bike because that is the stock they have , they are better then that and will sell you the bike that most suits your needs as they have had many years of expertise in the game.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
For a hub bike one should be looking at 48v , though Wisper have the new 43v bike which approx. give 18-20% more torque/power then 36v bikes.

One could convert a lighter bike and use a BBS01 as guereny has done and use it tuned to max power so that you can pedal is easier or better still us eit with athrottle and ignore the illigality side of it. He uses a samll 20" wheel older type bike that gives high torque for his hills .

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Motor Diameter: 10.5 Inches
Motor Case Length: 11.25 Inches
Motor Shaft Length End to End: 12.25 Inches
Motor Type: Brushless Permanent Magnet
Brushes: No
Weight: 150 lbs.
Max Voltage Input: 360 Volts
Integrated Sensors: Encoder, temperature
Peak Torque: 280 Lb Ft Peak (w/150kW controller)
Peak Power: 210 HP Peak (w/150kW controller)
Max RPM: 10,000
Drive End Shaft: 32 spline 35.5 mm
Thermal Cooling: Internal oil pump with water heat exchange
Warranty Period:1 Year
id recommend one motor for each back wheel n 4 wheel drive 0-60 0.3sec 0-100 1.1 0-200 3.2 0-300 5.2 sec

whats the speed limit in tescos lol id shop at asda if i can go faster :p

AntonyC

Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2022
Surrey
So I really can't get what I need unless it's a special build?
If you reach a stage without a clear way forward it can help if you revisit your needs.

Gather them all together in one post, one on each line. For each one rather than what the bike's like (needs to be light) make it what the bike does (lift into the boot). Put a figure on it if you can (about 20kg max) and preferably explain why (I've one weak arm) or what else might work for you (a low towball rack) and what wouldn't (no space for a boot ramp).

Then hopefully we can get busy devising viable work-arounds so the more you can say about yourself and your terrain and use the better. As others have mentioned small wheels would help in many ways and there are other ways to smooth the ride.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I got 43 miles from my 19.2Ah battery at maximum assistance, over this mixed terrain. It was easy.

The battery on my Dahon Helios is rear rack mounted, but the only time this caused issues, was when I attempted to ascend a 45 degree angled stony dirt tracked slope... the motor was game, and I guess if I had a throttle my bike could have ascended some of it, before I fell off after the bike tipped upwards because weight is imbalanced. Luckily, that wasn't a necessary journey. I've experienced difficulties weighing my bike, but will try again at some point.... however, it measured 22.4kg on my last attempt a couple of months ago - that's with numerous soldered on lights, side mirrors, rear rack, mudguards, various mounts, extension bar, 19.2Ah battery, two Oxford lollipops etc. Unfortunately, I didn't weigh my bike before conversion.

None of the OP's bike fold, therefore how about adding 5.6kg BBS01B kit + 3.6kg 19.2Ah battery + about 2Kg of mudguards and pannier rack to this 10kg bike? = about 21.2Kg? A bit less, with a smaller battery. Wide puncture resistant Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres would increase weight, as could a comfy padded sprung saddle, possibly a replacement swept back handlebar. Looks like there would be more an upright riding position than my Dahon. Again I have no idea if this mini velo is any good to start with, but if the frame is ok, all components could be upgraded, such as the disc brakes. The battery could be mounted to the lower downtube, for better balance. 20" wheels for more torque. Of course the BBS01B's controller would need it's firmware tweaked.

Steel framed Tokyo bike Mini Velos might be better made, heavier, but no disc brakes:

I know a rack and mudguards can be installed, because I've seen them on ebay:

Alternatively: The Crusa's kit seems to work well for the OP, therefore perhaps the OP could get the hub motor kit transferred from the Crusa to a lightweight mini velo, while replacing the old rackmounted battery with a downtube?

Last edited:

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
Cube Kathmandu 750wh, Bosch gen 4 performance CX 85nm motor. ABS braking. About £3k
Motor will kick in pretty much on a smidgen of a turn on the pedals. It's not really dependent on anything other than making the pedals go round.
Starting off on my Bosch(same motor) with the pedal at about 10 o clock, the motor will kick in by the time the pedal gets to 8 o clock(or maybee 9), it's pretty much instant.
750wh will probably give you 90 miles on eco, or 45-50 on turbo, turbo is 340% so plenty of oomf
731332_F1_00.png

Last edited:

Peter.Bridge

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2023
Cube Kathmandu 750wh, Bosch gen 4 performance CX 85nm motor. ABS braking. About £3k
Motor will kick in pretty much on a smidgen of a turn on the pedals. It's not really dependent on anything other than making the pedals go round.
Starting off on my Bosch(same motor) with the pedal at about 10 o clock, the motor will kick in by the time the pedal gets to 8 o clock, so pretty much instant.
750wh will probably give you 90 miles on eco, or 45-50 on turbo, turbo is 340% so plenty of oomf
View attachment 56790

Peter.Bridge

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2023
I have a feeling what OP needs is a full throttle, cadence sensor and a high torque.
The closet I can think of is https://wisperbikes.com/shop/e-bikes/folding-ebikes/wisper-806-folding-electric-bike-2020/ with full throttle.
Bicycle weight
375Wh: 21kg
575Wh: 22kg
700Wh: 22.5kg

Disadvantage is rack battery and the OP wanted larger wheels

Or full throttle low crossbar tailwind https://wisperbikes.com/shop/e-bikes/step-through-ebikes/tailwind-comfort-low-crossbar/

Weight:
360Wh: 21Kg
540Wh: 22kg

Disadvantage is low crossbar rather than completely free step through

Last edited:
Reactions: Wisper Bikes

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Starting off on my Bosch(same motor) with the pedal at about 10 o clock, the motor will kick in by the time the pedal gets to 8 o clock(or maybee 9), it's pretty much instant.
View attachment 56790
It uses a torque multiplying system. We already determined that that system wouldn't be suitable.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The lady rider in question has already mentioned her health issues and lack of leg stamina , we have already duduced that the torque multipliers are no good for her and the fact she currently has a similar app controlled bike confirms that.

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
Yes, but he said he wanted something with power, and simply quoting battery size isnt going to giver you that. You could have a 20ah battery, but if the nm of the motor is only 35nm, then getting up a steep hill isnt happening. Plus the one i quoted is 85nm which is pretty powerful,and about 21ah, with front mount battery and mid drive centralizes all the weight. Rather than putting it all over the back.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
The lady rider in question has already mentioned her health issues and lack of leg stamina , we have already duduced that the torque multipliers are no good for her and the fact she currently has a similar app controlled bike confirms that.
I agree that cadence sensor is probably most appropriate. However, her experience with the torque multiplier bike does not completely rule out torque multiplier. That bike is light but is a particularly low powered one, and it might be the low power that is the real issue.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
A Wisper Tailwind might work it is a bit lighter , though one needs to test ride for fit and operational use so a visit to a dealer or 7oaks in Kent is needed .
It will be fruitless without trying any such bike .
A Wisper can be 100% legal with a fully operational throttle if tested as such.
It isn't a true step thru but does have a slightly lower raking top bar, the battery is mounted forward in the beefier downtube. Weigth wise 21/22kg is stated , if this is true then it is about as light as an OEM full size bike can be.

If one needs to lift it in to a boot of a vehicle then size will be important and tbh one is back to looking at folding options and removing the battery to make lifting lighter, removing a battery can make a bike 3 - 3.5kg lighter as significant difference.