Does anyone ride in the rain because they have to?

Mandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 23, 2007
Going straight is fine but leave some more stopping distance. It's any sort of bend you need to be careful of, just take them much slower than usual, particularly tight ones.

Oh, test your brakes too, some are not so good when wet.
Very good point John with regards to the brakes!!!
I remember one day last year on my arrival at work on my PowaByke and going down the steep wet slope into the underground car park my brakes completely failed!!!
One of our Managers was negotiating a reversal into a car parking space and I had no option but to fly around the back of the car and did not come to a stand still until the very end of the car park!!!!
Her face was a picture as well as the onlookers and whilst it scared me a little I did remain quite calm and when I eventually came to a halt I almost fell off the bike laughing!!!
I guess you had to be there :D
Mandy

oldosc

Pedelecer
May 12, 2008
Hi Moon

Well I missed it thankfully and hope you did too? :)
If you read the previous posts there is some great advice on keeping dry.
When riding in the rain just be careful I guess? Don't pull on the brakes too hard, bank too much and try and avoid drain covers.
In the event of driving rain in your eyes just take it slowly and try and be aware of what is happening around you. Leave earlier than normal and arrive at your destination safe although a little soggy :D
Happy and safe riding
Mandy
Hi Mandy, I tried to post this earlier, but we have just had a bit of a downpour, and an electric cut, does wonders for a long reply....
I think I said... I now only cycle for pleasure..but rem when I had no choise..to go to Uni before Jeans and 'sweat' shirts
when Corduroy jackets and ironed trousers were the height of cool....In rain, wore shorts..nothing keeps your legs dry.
Best dressed was a good cycle cape wear a towel round your neck to keep out seepage..use it to dry off legs, BEFORE struggling back into trousers. Hush puppies (I think) left in locker.
I have googled cycle cape, briefly ..but could not see anything that was useful...A good cape is not too light, totaly waterproof..and most important has good thumb loops to anchor it to the bars (sic) When you cycle (slightly slower, but maybe electric would not force this you are in a dry envelope.I have actually cycled to a ball in full fig, and not looked much more dishevelled than any one else, well not after an hour.

Mandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 23, 2007
Hi Mandy, I tried to post this earlier, but we have just had a bit of a downpour, and an electric cut, does wonders for a long reply....
I think I said... I now only cycle for pleasure..but rem when I had no choise..to go to Uni before Jeans and 'sweat' shirts
when Corduroy jackets and ironed trousers were the height of cool....In rain, wore shorts..nothing keeps your legs dry.
Best dressed was a good cycle cape wear a towel round your neck to keep out seepage..use it to dry off legs, BEFORE struggling back into trousers. Hush puppies (I think) left in locker.
I have googled cycle cape, briefly ..but could not see anything that was useful...A good cape is not too light, totaly waterproof..and most important has good thumb loops to anchor it to the bars (sic) When you cycle (slightly slower, but maybe electric would not force this you are in a dry envelope.I have actually cycled to a ball in full fig, and not looked much more dishevelled than any one else, well not after an hour.
I saw one of those capes the other day and done a double take as didn't know they existed now?
You now have those bolt on thingys that have roll down windows and look like you could take off like "Mary Poppins"!! Have you seen them on the net?
They are available from France I believe and cost a fortune!! However my son has spotted cyclists in London with them on :D
Well I remember:
Tonic trousers/skirts, twin sets, Loons, Oxford Bags, Pencil skirts and David Cassidy, the Osmonds (sad) as I was a teenager of the 70's!!! :D

oldosc

Pedelecer
May 12, 2008
Oh la la. la la la la la la,(they actually do say that)
Looks french, wonder if it's any good in the rain..

Mandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 23, 2007
Its called a veltop.
See it in action here: Veltop - Protection pour cycliste / Protection for cyclist | VELTOP | VELTOP

I'm using CAT (caterpillar) clothing, keeps me dry, reasonble pricing.

Kind regards,
Jo
Hi Jo

The thingy has a name :)
Don't you think that the screen would need wipers of some kind?

I do have a problem of getting water proofs my size and even the small sizes are too big and have to roll up the sleeves and trousers :(
I will have to check out CAT one's and hope they come up smaller?
Regards
Mandy

Mandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 23, 2007
Oh la la. la la la la la la,(they actually do say that)
Looks french, wonder if it's any good in the rain..
Well most of the footage is done in the sunshine and does not show it in torrential rain.
You would not be able to see through that screen in heavy rain, no way!!
Ooh La La

kevinti

Just Joined
Jun 12, 2008
Bracknell, RG12, UK
Mandy

Many years ago I used to cycle to work, and with a change of job started to use my car. I am looking at getting an electric bike so as not to use my car.

When I did cycle I used a cycle cape and my bike had good mudguards and a mudflap on the front mudguard.

The cape was from Raleigh, and had a hood, your hands went through loops and this held it onto the handlebars, I used those cycle gloves with chopped off fingers and a gel palm.

I didn't get wet much, my hands and body were dry, the mudguards and mudflap stopped most of the spray from the front wheel, the cape stopped most of the rain, and being open underneath there wasn't any problem with sweat, apart from my own through pedalling (which I got whether it was wet or dry!!).

I don't know whether you can still buy capes, I'll try a Google search, because if I get an electric bike I will certainly want another cape for wet weather.

Mandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 23, 2007
Mandy

Many years ago I used to cycle to work, and with a change of job started to use my car. I am looking at getting an electric bike so as not to use my car.

When I did cycle I used a cycle cape and my bike had good mudguards and a mudflap on the front mudguard.

The cape was from Raleigh, and had a hood, your hands went through loops and this held it onto the handlebars, I used those cycle gloves with chopped off fingers and a gel palm.

I didn't get wet much, my hands and body were dry, the mudguards and mudflap stopped most of the spray from the front wheel, the cape stopped most of the rain, and being open underneath there wasn't any problem with sweat, apart from my own through pedalling (which I got whether it was wet or dry!!).

I don't know whether you can still buy capes, I'll try a Google search, because if I get an electric bike I will certainly want another cape for wet weather.
Hi kevinti

Pleased to meet you :)
I must admit I do not have full mud guards on my Wisper but I am generally ok with my oversized very unattractive water proofs but would like something a little smaller, more water tight, especially around the back of the knees (I guess that come's with pedalling?) and also less bulky to carry in my rear bag. Small, light, discreet and fully water proof would be good.
I am not really sure if I would opt for the full cape, although it does look really practical.

You can still buy the finger less biking gloves as I was looking at some in Halfords at the weekend.

One brilliant thing about owning and riding an electric bike is there is NO sweat at all :D. I pedal all the time and no worries there. I work in an office which is very strict on formal dress, except Friday's and I haven't got my clothes dirty yet, however my hair certainly needs sorting on arrival :D

Have you tried any leccy bikes yet? Keep us posted on what you choose?
I would not be without my Wisper but there again I don't drive so I am totally lost without it as public transport is not good where I live :(

Let us know what you choose and be sure to try out the Wisper SE!

Regards

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Possibly, but years ago when almost everyone cycled to work, just a full cape was very effective if speed wasn't too high. It's best to slow down in the wet anyway, both for safety and to avoid the stinging of raindrops in the eyes.

Riding 2 or 3 mph slower makes very little difference to most journeys anyway, and better to be comfortable for 30 minutes than uncomfortable for 25 minutes.

Mandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 23, 2007
Possibly, but years ago when almost everyone cycled to work, just a full cape was very effective if speed wasn't too high. It's best to slow down in the wet anyway, both for safety and to avoid the stinging of raindrops in the eyes.

Riding 2 or 3 mph slower makes very little difference to most journeys anyway, and better to be comfortable for 30 minutes than uncomfortable for 25 minutes.
Yes you are right and I do slow down for safety reasons in the rain.
I guess years ago bikes didn't go as fast and after contemplating my youth I am sure the rain didn't fall so fast so often when I rode a bike :D Probably rose tinted glasses, memory fade :D

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Most cycle commuting in the 1950s was at a much more leisurely pace than is common today, like all of life in fact. People were quite happy to trundle along at 8 to 10 mph.

ElephantsGerald

Pedelecer
Mar 17, 2008
Herefordshire, HR2
Fried Cycle Computer

I chose to ride in the rain this morning (I could have taken the car), and a right drenching I got too.

I quite enjoyed it though, having got all my wet weather gear on and a waterproof cover on my paniers (which contained a dry change of clothes for the office) :).

I have a hi-visibility, waterproof DHB jacket from Wiggle, wrap-around glasses (also from Wiggle), an Aussie style wide-brimmed hat, a pair of running shorts and some trainers :cool:.

The only problem is my cycle computer seems to have been killed in the process, its an un-branded wireless job supplied by WEVCO when I bought my Wisper 905SE (it says Model:JS-204 on it, but no manufacturer).

It was fine on the journey, but once I got into work the LCD display started lighting up with random digits for a couple of hours, then went blank. Now it won't switch on at all :(.

Aren't cycle computers supposed to be waterproof, or is mine just a shoddy example?

Regards,

Elephants

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
The only problem is my cycle computer seems to have been killed in the process, its an un-branded wireless job supplied by WEVCO when I bought my Wisper 905SE (it says Model:JS-204 on it, but no manufacturer).

It was fine on the journey, but once I got into work the LCD display started lighting up with random digits for a couple of hours, then went blank. Now it won't switch on at all :(.

Aren't cycle computers supposed to be waterproof, or is mine just a shoddy example?
Mine got wet on the way in this morning so I'll let you know later, but it keeps showing 99mph anyway so I'm not sure if I'll notice another problem.

musicbooks

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2007
Mine got wet on the way in this morning so I'll let you know later, but it keeps showing 99mph anyway so I'm not sure if I'll notice another problem.
Maybe your legs have got a lot stronger from the commute and you haven't noticed that you are speeding:D
BW
musicbooks

Advertisers