Does anyone ride in the rain because they have to?

Mandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 23, 2007
Hi Guys
I woke up this morning and thought oh here we go again as it was torrential rain and just kind of had to get on with it and ended up at work like a drowned rat but soon dried off within an hour and reapplied the makeup, lol
But then again at 5 it was chucking it down and it was here we go again but so much better coming home :D I had offers of lifts home but did not want to leave my bike overnight and some couldn't understand why I would contemplate riding in it? Well it certainly didn't bother me on the way home as a lot easier than on the way there.

I do have water proofs but I guess they are not the best as my trousers get wet around the knee bending area where I pedal and it must just penetrate in this area.

It's just that I notice many less bikes on the road/cycle paths when it is raining and just wondered :D It would cost me £10 to £12 on a taxi each way and am not willing to pay that too often.

Any ideas on keeping drier would be good :D

Mand

Mandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 23, 2007
also stinging eyes after rain

Sorry I forgot to mention
My eyes felt uncomfortable all day after the rain lashing and I wear glasses although small.
When I rode scooters I had a visor but have not seen any available for a push bike? :D Mind you would look a little odd :)
Maybe I should just wear the DIY goggles I have and look a little odd? :eek:
LOL

Erik

Pedelecer
Feb 20, 2008
Here's some hear-say from the serious cyclist I know:

You need to spend £200+ (some spend £400+) for good clothing that will keep you warm and dry in all situations. Don't expect it to last more than a year if you use it every day.

Cyclepants: you sweat a lot in that region, and regular knickers are not up to the job.

A good saddle is not a wide soft thing, but a narrow hard one that suits your anathomy.

The rain in the eyes also bother me - any ideas?

Sector

Pedelecer
Mar 5, 2007
Leicestershire Le8
I don't have a car and work is not on a bus route so yes I often cycle in the rain.

I keep two sets of waterproofs. I have a set of lightweight breathable water resistant outer clothes. I wear the jacket most of the time, and put the trousers on at the slightest sign of rain. They were cheap and are only effective in light rain. They get grubby pretty quickly and they get washed and re-proofed. They are good for stopping windchill and I can pedal hard and not get wet with sweat. I wouldn't want to spend hundreds of pounds on top quality breathable gear because I would want to keep it clean rather than wearing it.

I also carry some non-breathable waterproofs for more serious rain. They beat any of the "breathable" fabrics for water-tightness but I have to use the battery more and avoid putting any effort into the pedalling to minimse sweating.

Hoods are an essential feature on the waterproofs. The hood is put up first, then the helmet covers it. The helmet clamps the hood down and stops the wind getting into the hood. This is quite a comfortable arrangement, particularly if the helmet has a peak to reduce the rain reachnig your face. The hood keeps your hair dry and stops water trickling down your neck, which makes rides in the rain much more tolerable.

This combination works for me, but then its only 2.5 miles to work. That is far enough however to get drenched or soaked with sweat, as I know from experience.

Larkspur

Pedelecer
Feb 19, 2008
S.W. Herts
My eyes felt uncomfortable all day after the rain lashing and I wear glasses although small.
When I rode scooters I had a visor but have not seen any available for a push bike? :D Mind you would look a little odd :)
LOL
Hi Mandy,

I'm afraid I haven't actually experienced riding in the rain yet, as I'm still waiting for my Pro Connect to be delivered. However, I do have a clear recollection of the pain of riding a motor bike in the rain with an open face helmet (30 years ago when I was a teenager) - like needles going into your face. Wiggle has a great range of goggles for cyclists, see link below - I can't testify to their effectiveness but they look like they'd do the business, though not sure how well they'd work with specs. Also, they're not particularly cheap. I'm sure other cycle shops must sell them as well.

Goggles - Cycle | Cycle | Wiggle - The UK's #1 Online Bike & Cycle Shop

Chris

Last edited:

john

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2007
Manchester
LOL
This might do the trick:

Steveb63

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 2, 2008
Baildon (BD17)
Hi Mandy

Commiserations, Got pretty soaked myself on Tuesday - my commute is 8 miles each way - but my philosophy is just to wear the minimum - light waterproof jacket and shorts - and have an change of clothes waiting at work.

I'm a pretty fussy glasses wearer too - but again - I rinse them off when I get to work and clean them with a special piece of soft cotton that I keep at work! any guesses ! :)

Steve.

MaryinScotland

Pedelecer
Dec 14, 2006
Dumfries, SW Scotland
I do live on a bus route to work, so mostly I wimp out if it's raining. If dry, I usually have some "just in case" waterproofs. Have you seen "Rainlegs"? Rainlegs Kind of like a farrier's split apron, it protects the top part of your legs which catch the worst of the wet. Light to carry, and might be good to reinforce waterproof trousers that aren't quite up to the job.

Mary

john

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2007
Manchester
I do live on a bus route to work, so mostly I wimp out if it's raining. If dry, I usually have some "just in case" waterproofs. Have you seen "Rainlegs"? Rainlegs Kind of like a farrier's split apron, it protects the top part of your legs which catch the worst of the wet. Light to carry, and might be good to reinforce waterproof trousers that aren't quite up to the job.

Mary
Looks like the rain would just run off onto the uncovered part of your trousers.

essexman

Pedelecer
Dec 17, 2007
cb11
I've heard on forums that those rain legs are useful for a mile or two in light to medium rain. So good for in town short hops and are low bulk when off.

I ride in the rain but not usually on my pedelec! The pedelec is an anti sweat device, but in a waterproof i'm just going to sweat anyway.

That said when its cold enough for me not to sweat, sometimes i cycle in normal clothes top half + waterproof and shorts and trainers bottom half. Then change into trousers and workshoes at work.

PS to keep rain out of eyes. I just wear cycling visor style shades and keep them clean. A cycling peaked cap helps as well.
You do see city uber cool types in antique flying goggles. In the winter when it gets very cold, i've used ski goggles before. I suspect that horrible looking helmet visor works quite well.

JohnInStockie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2006
Stockport, SK7
Hi Mandy

Its interesting to see how people have come up with a variety of different solutions. I think a lot depends on the route (off or on road), is it a commute or just pleasure, and the distance you're covering, plus your level of fitness and the environment you work in too.

I work in a formal office, 11 miles from home, and therefore need to carry everything with me. So I carry a complete change of clothing for the formal office in a tiny 'overnight' bag which fits inside one of my panniers (the other carrying my tools and charger).

I wear those stretchy altura cruiser legging things and long sleeve roll neck jog tops as a base layer.

For my waterproofs, I have tried a lot of different combinations now (and spent a lot of money in the process of learning too). Now on my 4th jacket and 3rd pair of waterproof trousers, I can see the difference that quality gear makes, and can recommend anything made from the very good eVent material which although expensive, does have excellent breathability, is completely waterproof in even the heaviest conditions, and can even be washed in a washing machine (albeit on a wool cycle).

Its the only material I have found that truly 'does what it says on the tin'.

For my head I also have the Bell Metropolis helmet with its rainguard, peeked visor thingy, and rear view mirror, which I keep on permanently (whatever the weather) as well as a pair of sunglasses for eye protection, and have never had the rain sting my eyes ever.

I use a pair of slimline non-waterproof gloves on my hands as I want the minimal protection they offer (from callouses and odd scrapes), plus they dry fast.

This is what 'works' for me although I doubt others will want to go to such extremities.

hope that helps

John

Mandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 23, 2007
Here's some hear-say from the serious cyclist I know:

You need to spend £200+ (some spend £400+) for good clothing that will keep you warm and dry in all situations. Don't expect it to last more than a year if you use it every day.

Cyclepants: you sweat a lot in that region, and regular knickers are not up to the job.

A good saddle is not a wide soft thing, but a narrow hard one that suits your anathomy.

The rain in the eyes also bother me - any ideas?
Hi Erik

Well I am not prepared to spend that amount of money, lol! Have spent a fortune already! :eek:
I bought mine from Halfords as an all in pack some 3 years ago and they have done okay but are huge on me and need to roll up the legs, lol!
They have that breathable mesh inside and I guess I can't complain overall but sure do need something better.

LOL! That region doesnt get wet even with a gel saddle and am not keen on regular knickers plus I don't sweat either but do pedal like mad in power only :D just my knees really, face, hair, eyes and my gloves which are heated but I don't switch them on in the wet :D

Maybe I should get one of those bike brolly thingys that I could fly to work with? :)
lol

Mandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 23, 2007
I don't have a car and work is not on a bus route so yes I often cycle in the rain.

I keep two sets of waterproofs. I have a set of lightweight breathable water resistant outer clothes. I wear the jacket most of the time, and put the trousers on at the slightest sign of rain. They were cheap and are only effective in light rain. They get grubby pretty quickly and they get washed and re-proofed. They are good for stopping windchill and I can pedal hard and not get wet with sweat. I wouldn't want to spend hundreds of pounds on top quality breathable gear because I would want to keep it clean rather than wearing it.

I also carry some non-breathable waterproofs for more serious rain. They beat any of the "breathable" fabrics for water-tightness but I have to use the battery more and avoid putting any effort into the pedalling to minimse sweating.

Hoods are an essential feature on the waterproofs. The hood is put up first, then the helmet covers it. The helmet clamps the hood down and stops the wind getting into the hood. This is quite a comfortable arrangement, particularly if the helmet has a peak to reduce the rain reachnig your face. The hood keeps your hair dry and stops water trickling down your neck, which makes rides in the rain much more tolerable.

This combination works for me, but then its only 2.5 miles to work. That is far enough however to get drenched or soaked with sweat, as I know from experience.
Thanks Sector

Your breathable waterproofs sound similar to mine? Mine get real muddy due to the paths I take and I shower them down in the bath to get the mud off.
I was thinking of putting them in the washing machine but if I would need to get them re-proofed I am not so sure? Would I have to?

I may look into the non breathable one's for the heavy rain and I need to do a bit more research without spending too many pennies :)
I do use my bike in motor only due to a health issue but do like to pedal all the time too which keeps me fit and enables me to go faster without the need for breaking into a big sweat, but here come's summer and maybe a different story on the sweat front :)

I didn't notice a hood with my set but that would probably be the best set up that you have mentioned and will opt for a jacket with a hood on my next purchase, or a helmet with rain cover as that is my main problem, wet hair together with the stinging eyes :(

I have the peak on the helmet and try and keep my head down but still get it in my face but maybe I have sensitive eyes or something?
I only have 5 miles each way so not a huge distance as 10 miles round distance all told.

Thanks for your help Sector as it has been very useful.

Thanks Mandy

Mandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 23, 2007
Hi Mandy

Its interesting to see how people have come up with a variety of different solutions. I think a lot depends on the route (off or on road), is it a commute or just pleasure, and the distance you're covering, plus your level of fitness and the environment you work in too.

I work in a formal office, 11 miles from home, and therefore need to carry everything with me. So I carry a complete change of clothing for the formal office in a tiny 'overnight' bag which fits inside one of my panniers (the other carrying my tools and charger).

I wear those stretchy altura cruiser legging things and long sleeve roll neck jog tops as a base layer.

For my waterproofs, I have tried a lot of different combinations now (and spent a lot of money in the process of learning too). Now on my 4th jacket and 3rd pair of waterproof trousers, I can see the difference that quality gear makes, and can recommend anything made from the very good eVent material which although expensive, does have excellent breathability, is completely waterproof in even the heaviest conditions, and can even be washed in a washing machine (albeit on a wool cycle).

Its the only material I have found that truly 'does what it says on the tin'.

For my head I also have the Bell Metropolis helmet with its rainguard, peeked visor thingy, and rear view mirror, which I keep on permanently (whatever the weather) as well as a pair of sunglasses for eye protection, and have never had the rain sting my eyes ever.

I use a pair of slimline non-waterproof gloves on my hands as I want the minimal protection they offer (from callouses and odd scrapes), plus they dry fast.

This is what 'works' for me although I doubt others will want to go to such extremities.

hope that helps

John
Hi John

Yes I too like the different ways the guys on here cope with the wet weather and so obviously far better than me and you too have helped me in my quest for the perfect water proofing :)

I ride around 5 mile too and from work 10 mile all told and choose to use some off road paths on my journey which are rather muddy and slippy in the wet but really lovely in the dry and enables me to miss 3 busy roundabouts.

I too work in a formal office but do wear my office gear underneath the waterproofs and have got away with it so far apart from the hair and makeup which I sort out when I get there so apart from the hair I think I look presentable apart from having wet behind the knees trousers, lol

There is a young lady that mountain bikes in and showers and changes from her biking gear on arrival and I admire her for that but I don't get up early enough to do that :)

I do know what you mean about the route as I do use some pretty muddy, woody off road paths which are a delight in the dry but not in the rain but do enable me to miss out 3 roundabouts which is worth it.

I do also appreciate in what you say about the most expensive are the best in this case and do totally agree with you with regards to many things but am unable at this point to spend too much on the actual clothing. However, I am looking at expensive front light sets for the onset of next winter in order to light up my woody off road paths which looks like at least a couple of hundred pounds :eek: But that is next September onwards.
Biking can be an expensive business!

I think the helmet you are talking about is the one I am after which has been mentioned on this site and don't actually mind the price of this and would like to get one of these regardless of cost (It is the one that looks a bit like a baseball hat isn't it?)

I wear thin gloves in the summer regardless of the heat but do wear my thick Li ion battery heated gloves in the winter or colder weather and dry them out at work as suffer with bad circulation in my fingers.

Do you ever get any comments at work about cycling in the rain considering you go to a lot of trouble? I find people feel sorry for me (maybe cos I'm a female) but although it has been a bit tedious this week I do get on with it and even laugh and never moan as it is part and parcel of biking to work. People have said: I can't see how you can go out in this, I admire your outlook etc. but I don't envy all the costs of maintaining a car, just want to stay a little dryer, lol!

Thanks for your assistance John and everyone :)
Regards

JohnInStockie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2006
Stockport, SK7
Hi Mandy

Yep I get comments most days, both from the normal cyclists, and from the drivers.

This is the bell metropolis helmet with the links to the images of the mirror, rain cover, winter kit and rear light.

I too have had to buy expensive lights. I have a USE Exposure Enduro Maxx front light (£270) and a Dinotte Rear (£100) -ouch

John

moon

Pedelecer
May 24, 2008
I just looked at the weather forecast and its going to rain for the rest of the week.

Do you have any tips for cycling in the rain? I'm a bit worried about slippery roads and skidding etc.

:)

john

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2007
Manchester
I just looked at the weather forecast and its going to rain for the rest of the week.

Do you have any tips for cycling in the rain? I'm a bit worried about slippery roads and skidding etc.

Going straight is fine but leave some more stopping distance. It's any sort of bend you need to be careful of, just take them much slower than usual, particularly tight ones.

Oh, test your brakes too, some are not so good when wet.

big jus

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 16, 2008
your lucky mandy ! i have (at the moment) to get a taxi to and from work at least 9 times in a five week shift pattern cycle - thats costing me over £100 a month at least ! the rest of the time im able to get a bus but when i crunch the numbers ive got no option but to get a bike to keep my head above water with all this credit crunch thats going on...

happy days !

big jus

Mandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 23, 2007

Hi Moon

Well I missed it thankfully and hope you did too? :)
If you read the previous posts there is some great advice on keeping dry.
When riding in the rain just be careful I guess? Don't pull on the brakes too hard, bank too much and try and avoid drain covers.
In the event of driving rain in your eyes just take it slowly and try and be aware of what is happening around you. Leave earlier than normal and arrive at your destination safe although a little soggy :D
Happy and safe riding
Mandy

Mandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 23, 2007
your lucky mandy ! i have (at the moment) to get a taxi to and from work at least 9 times in a five week shift pattern cycle - thats costing me over £100 a month at least ! the rest of the time im able to get a bus but when i crunch the numbers ive got no option but to get a bike to keep my head above water with all this credit crunch thats going on...

happy days !

big jus
Hi Big Jus

Get one soon and whilst the outlay will be vast for a good bike it will pay dividends in the end :)
Just think no more relying on taxi's or buses which are almost always late and will give you a sense of freedom to go where and when you want whenever you want at just the small expense of charging the battery, no contest :D
I would of course recommend the Wisper 905se (I hear people sigh and say here she goes again, lol) But honestly I owned a good old Powabyke for 3 years so it is not like I am new to this leccy biking thingy :D
Powabyke was great, but heavy, not really attractive but a damn good work horse that kept me interested in electric bikes :)
Let us know what one you choose?
Mandy

Advertisers