Does what I'm looking for exist yet?

Volvos60s60

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 25, 2019
Hi

I'm after some advice please on which electric bike to purchase. So, a bit about me first:

Weight: 82 kg
Height: 6'-0"
Fitness: Reasonable, but not fast enough to be a group rider
Current bike: 10 year old 24 speed manual hybrid, the lock is now worth more than the bike! bit I like it. Also have a great and unusual folder , no longer in production - Xootr Swift if anyone is curious
Riding pattern: Sunday rides of 20-30 miles with a pub stop midway, average 10-11 mph when riding over mixed gradients (was not much faster even when I was younger), mainly on road but some tow paths sometimes. Now I'm getting older, it is starting to get more difficult to do distances. Would like to be able to maintain fitness & manage 30 mile rides more regularly
Post ride: Tired & sleep!
Possible dream spec: Definitely prefer cross rail hybrid style bikes. Mid motor for balance/handling. Belt drive for low maintenance/durability. Hub gears because belt drives don't use derailleurs.
Budget: £1500-£1000. May have to compromise on dream spec otherwise costs will probably be way over budget, even if it's available

So, what should I buy? Any advice will be most appreciated

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Do you mean £1500-£1000. or £1500-£2000? If the second: Raleigh Motus looks right except for the belt drive. https://www.e-bikesdirect.co.uk/brands/raleigh/raleigh-motus-cross-bar-bosch-hub-gear £1749
(when you get a bit older still you might appreciate the step-through version)

Gtech use belt drive on cheaper bikes, but no gears so might well not do the hills.

Be wary of claimed distances on any bike. Real distances are often a lot less than half. Bosch range assistant will certainly show you how much variety to expect between 'up to' and real values, and gives a pretty good idea for real values with a little interpretation for non-Bosch systems. https://www.bosch-ebike.com/en/service/range-assistant/

Not much around with hub gear. https://www.e-bikesdirect.co.uk/search/hub_gear/ will give an idea (beware, some are NOT hub gear despite the search)

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
if the Xootr Swift's front fork dropout width is standard 100mm then I would suggest you convert it to electric.

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
if the Xootr Swift's front fork dropout width is standard 100mm then I would suggest you convert it to electric.
From this spec it does

Reactions: Woosh

Volvos60s60

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 25, 2019
Thanks for the comments so far.

By the way, I meant to say my budget was £1000-£1500

For me the problem with G Tech, as stated, is no gears which is a show stopper for me

Interesting comments on the Xootr conversion, I had not really considered that as I was really thinking of a purpose designed E bike rather than a conversion, but the Xootr has potential. I'll give it some thought but it would not meet much of my dream spec. I might drop in at some point in the next 2 or 3 weeks with the bike as I'm only in West Essex anyway to talk about this & also look at various other options

I'd still be interested from the forum as to whether my 'dream spec' is available, or might become available over the coming months

Last edited:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

not in budget tho ;(

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
Not sure you will get what you are looking for within your budget.
I would recommend the Oxygen scross mtb, pretty sure it would meet your needs, and although at the top end of your budget, it would be worth it.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
derailleurs are mintenance free and very robust nowadays, plus rear geared hub will give you excellent traction in all weather.
Check out the Woosh Camino. It will suit your weight, height and budget @ £1,049
Some features: Suntour suspension fork, hydraulic brakes, 36V 15AH battery, fully equipped for all weather riding, full size mudguards, rack, bell, lights, puncture resistant tyres etc.