Dyson versus the EU

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
You'll love this! Dyson are taking the EU to court over the latest vacuum cleaner regulations.

It seems the German vacuum cleaners from Bosch get awarded the top class A standard, the Dyson ones well down the scale!

Dyson explain that the regulation test is with the vacuum cleaner dust bin or bag empty. Apparently they design for maintained suction thoughout the bin filling, but the Bosch bagged vacuum cleaners perform better than the Dysons when their bag is empty.

Somehow I can't see Dyson winning this one.

JohnCade

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2014
Didn’t I read the other month that EU regs on vacuum cleaners had changed recently and the new ones are lower powered that the old ones were allowed to be? Apparently there was a rush to buy the higher powered ones from shops before they sold out.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
That's correct John, the new regulation power limit is 1600 watts for energy saving reasons. That will mainly affect some Chinese made cleaners though, often using brute force like 2000 watts rather than good airflow design.

400 watts is a common Dyson power so that doesn't affect them.

jdallan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 18, 2013
Before investing in call-screening phones, I used to get the occasional phone call from a very pleasant-sounding lady who was keen to know how I was getting on with my Dyson cleaner. When informed that I had never owned a Dyson cleaner, and in view of the phone calls probably never would, she invited me to "enjoy the rest of my day" and hung up!

Jim

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
That's correct John, the new regulation power limit is 1600 watts for energy saving reasons. That will mainly affect some Chinese made cleaners though, often using brute force like 2000 watts rather than good airflow design.

400 watts is a common Dyson power so that doesn't affect them.
Yeah, I was amused and somewhat angry too, when that ludicrous law came into play.
What next? A limit on how much oxygen humans are allowed to consume in a day!

It's coming folks.... Oh yes it's coming :eek:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yeah, I was amused and somewhat angry too, when that ludicrous law came into play.
I think the power limit might have been simple protectionism promoted by the Germans as it only hit the Chinese.

Probably what's behind the standards test too, since that just hits Dyson most.

There's more to making successful electrical products than design, political lobbying helps! ;)

Reactions: Fordulike

jonathan75

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2013
Hertfordshire
More examples of just how corrupt the EU is and how German industry manipulates it.
The Eurozone does indeed seem to favour Germany over its fellow Euro-using countries - however the Eurozone is not the EU.

What other examples were you thinking of?

I think if you are equating lobbying with corruption, then that is with all due respect not right. Government can't understand business and relies on businesses telling it what would be good for employment etc, through the lobbying process. And so can anyone - you can. It's only when the policies which are created, operate on balance against the interests of the greatest number (WITHIN the nation or EU - non-citizens don't count) that you could say the process is failing. That can still happen and not be corrupt - if government makes an honestly wrong or misinformed judgement about what will be good for the country, for example. But I accept it is sometimes corrupt, you're right, when it's obviously not for the national good. However the hoovers example seems to me a very long way from that.

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
Just read the vaping thread. Big Pharma, Big Tobacco got in a panic about loss of their lucrative trade

Reactions: neptune

jonathan75

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2013
Hertfordshire
But the EU has forced all workplaces to go nonsmoking. How can you say it's in big tobacco's pocket? I feel you haven't given me a straight answer to my question of in what ways you think the EU is corrupt and manipulated by German industry.

the_killjoy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 26, 2008
The same thing happened with the introduction of the catalytic converters for cars which favoured German production. The correct legislation should have been to put requirements on emission limits. The compulsory introduction of catalytic converters resulted in a delay in the development and introduction of cleaner lean burn engines.

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
Well, take the Lisbon Treaty as an example.
A whole nation apparently signed away by one man without any smidgin of popular support.
EU politicians even had the gall to call Gordon Brown a 'Great Statesman' for doing so.
As far as I am concerned, the only Briton that the Lisbon Treaty applies to is Gordon Brown and no-one else.

Reactions: Osho

selrahc1992

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2014
The Eurozone does indeed seem to favour Germany over its fellow Euro-using countries - however the Eurozone is not the EU.

What other examples were you thinking of?

I think if you are equating lobbying with corruption, then that is with all due respect not right. Government can't understand business and relies on businesses telling it what would be good for employment etc, through the lobbying process. And so can anyone - you can. It's only when the policies which are created, operate on balance against the interests of the greatest number (WITHIN the nation or EU - non-citizens don't count) that you could say the process is failing. That can still happen and not be corrupt - if government makes an honestly wrong or misinformed judgement about what will be good for the country, for example. But I accept it is sometimes corrupt, you're right, when it's obviously not for the national good. However the hoovers example seems to me a very long way from that.
there is a curious, obvious kind of irony in germany's dominance of teh eurozone after two failed world wars! But to be fair, i come from a differnet part of the world where government corruption is exponentially on a whole different level (and everyone woudl be profoundly relieved if it only applied to vacuum cleaners)

Reactions: flecc and JohnCade

SAD12

Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2013
Nr Bromyard, Herefds.
I was looking for a new vacuum cleaner a few months ago and decided to splash out and go for a Miele. I liked our previous Dyson but the longevity was poor and the new ones seemed difficult to control with the ball wheel thingy on the back. Miele were victims of the EU change in regulations, they had a nice 1800w upright which they had to downgrade to 1600w. So I don't think the new regs are a German inspired creation to protect their trade, they had to adjust their products as well. I managed to find an 1800w version discounted as an end of line product. It's brilliant even if it does have bags!

Simon Daniels

Just Joined
Apr 25, 2015
Didn’t I read the other month that EU regs on vacuum cleaners had changed recently and the new ones are lower powered that the old ones were allowed to be? Apparently there was a rush to buy the higher powered ones from shops before they sold out.

Simon Daniels

Just Joined
Apr 25, 2015
We cannot allow all these stupid EU regulations to continue. We must get outa that silly club. These regs will just encourage black market goods!

ps4customgamer

Pedelecer
Apr 28, 2015
Dyson explain that the regulation test is with the vacuum cleaner dust bin or bag empty. Apparently they design for maintained suction thoughout the bin filling, but the Bosch bagged vacuum cleaners perform better than the Dysons when their bag is empty.
So the bosch system works better in zero load applications.
Dysons current ads are based around there cinetic tech.
longer explanation of the cinetic tech.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I've seen and heard the propaganda before. I use a cyclonic cleaner but it's not a Dyson and performs every bit as well, but for longer since it uses a larger container.

It's not fair to say the Bosch performs well under zero load, since we've no idea of the hinge point when the Dyson becomes more efficient. It certainly won't be instantly and the Bosch bag might be more than half full when that occurs.

In my judgement both those brands of cleaner are overpriced.

Advertisers