Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

be handy to go down the canal at 200mph :p

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
My name is Matthew and I need help converting my paddle assist into throttle
You need to give lots more information on the bike. What kind of bike, and especially a model number or photos of the display and the controller. The controller may be hidden in the battery mount.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
You can't fit a throttle directly, but if you have a magnet disc type pedal sensor, there is a cheap alternative that would give power at the press of a button as long as you can do basic soldering and wiring.

Saracen

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2023
Electric bike throttle: Legalities
A throttle system in the UK converts an ebike into a moped. In mainland European countries too, throttles operating alone are generally illegal on e-bikes as when used can be considered to make a motorised bike.

This is because the bike can operate without the need for pedalling. To be considered as an ebike, you must be pedalling in addition to your assisted power.

So what? It’s a fair question but you deserve to understand the legal implications of using a thumb throttle on your bike.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Electric bike throttle: Legalities
A throttle system in the UK converts an ebike into a moped. In mainland European countries too, throttles operating alone are generally illegal on e-bikes as when used can be considered to make a motorised bike.

This is because the bike can operate without the need for pedalling. To be considered as an ebike, you must be pedalling in addition to your assisted power.

So what? It’s a fair question but you deserve to understand the legal implications of using a thumb throttle on your bike.

They don't know what they're talking about. It's just a bike shop. Many of them don't have a clue. A Throttle is just a sensor. It doesn't make the bike go or stop. It's the controller that does that, and the law relates to how it does it.

Actually, there's no such thing as a throttle for an ebike even though that's what people call it. A throttle is a device to regulate the speed of an internal combustion engine. It does that by throttling the amount of air that can get in. There's nothing to throttle on an ebike. The device everybody calls a throttle is a speed controller. It sends a signal between 1.2v and 3.8v to the CPU in the controller - that's all. There's nothing illegal about that! The pedal sensor and brake sensors do more or less the same thing. Nobody pretends that's not allowed.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: flecc

covkid69

Just Joined
Sep 16, 2023
I have a hitway bk 11 and am looking to add a throttle but can't find any info of how to unlock the settings.It has an s866 display..Any help really appreciated

covkid69

Just Joined
Sep 16, 2023
Do you have the connector for the throttle? if you do, you set P09=0 for independent throttle or P9-1 for legal throttle operating only when you pedal. You also set P10=2 to have both throttle and pedal assist working. P10=0 is PAS only, P10=1 is throttle only.
good afternoon and thank you for your help.
I do have a throttle connected and I've tried the settings you suggested but still nothing.
Maybe the throttle I have fitted isn't compatible

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Is the throttle wire sequence correct, tell us what colours are connected.

covkid69

Just Joined
Sep 16, 2023
Hi and thanks for your input,
I really have no idea how it is wired up as I bought the throttle from Amazon and it just connects via a 3 pin round plug

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
First.you have to check that you have the right connection sequence. It's tricky when you have those round moulded connectors. I'd never get one with them because there are always matching problems. If you can't figure it out, cut the connectors off and look at the colour of the wires. oin red to red, black to black and other to other. You don't need connectors anyway. They're just something else to go wrong.

covkid69

Just Joined
Sep 16, 2023
First.you have to check that you have the right connection sequence. It's tricky when you have those round moulded connectors. I'd never get one with them because there are always matching problems. If you can't figure it out, cut the connectors off and look at the colour of the wires. oin red to red, black to black and other to other. You don't need connectors anyway. They're just something else to go wrong.
Really appreciate your help and will look into the wiring and see what's what.I have ordered a hitway throttle so will see what happens when that arrives.Cheers