E-bike recommendations for Long Covid/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome sufferer

Pea92

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 16, 2021
Sadly Pea, just a case of the LBS not knowing the law. David will get things sorted for you I'm sure.
Thanks Neal! Yeah, he didnt seem to be completely clued up. Hopefully we'll get it sorted :)

Fozziebear40

Jun 20, 2021
Hi Pea92,

A twist grip assistance regulator is legal and can assist you up to 15.5mph as long as you are pedaling.

All the best, David
Hi Pea92, sorry to jump in, same subject, I wanted to ask David, am I right in saying, a Wayfarer straight from the factory has a 2 stage throttle, walk along to 4mph, then if you pedal you can throttle to 15.5mph. But "full throttle legal" cuts out the pedalling bit and goes 0mph-15.5mph with feet just resting on pedals, for a fee of £199.00 + £55.00 type approval?
Thanks

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Hi Pea92, sorry to jump in, same subject, I wanted to ask David, am I right in saying, a Wayfarer straight from the factory has a 2 stage throttle, walk along to 4mph, then if you pedal you can throttle to 15.5mph. But "full throttle legal" cuts out the pedalling bit and goes 0mph-15.5mph with feet just resting on pedals, for a fee of £199.00 + £55.00 type approval?
Thanks
Hi yes that’s correct.

All the best, David

Reactions: Fozziebear40

BikeSnail

Pedelecer
Aug 6, 2021
Hi, a 5.3ft tall female here: Woosh for a petite frame, Wisper 705 with 24” wheels or a Tern HSD would do you good. Folders might also be good. My mother, 69, is 5ft tall and recently bought a cheap folder with a hub motor and she’s ecstatic about it. Do test rides and consider the bike’s weight - in this respect a folder might win. Whatever you pick I hope that it helps you recover!

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
CORRECTION...

I said in an earlier post:

"To ride at more than 15.5mph without pedaling, you do need to get the bike Type Approved in order to be legal."

I should have said:

"To ride at more than 4mph without pedaling, you do need to get the bike Type Approved in order to be legal."

All the best, David

1lor

Oct 10, 2021
You will need a hub bike or a bike with cadence sensing and a throttle, a TS /torque sensing type drive whether center drive or hub drive will require good rider input to multiply the power provided. A cadence type system means you simply lightly turn the pedals and can practically ghost pedal if you have no stamina or power, in level 5 you would get max power, it will depend on the controller type used whether speed control or current control. For your use it likely won't matter but current control is the better system.
Avoid Halfords if I were you and look at Wisper /Juicy brands or Woosh.
Ideally you want a bike with 5 levels of assist and a throttle, Wisper is the one for that as they will legally get the bike certificated so you can have and use a throttle or twist and go. Otherwise you are relegated to a mobility scooter.

A step through bike fixed or a folder will be best and a 575wh or a large capacity 700wh battery as full power will mean less range.

Wisper 806 Folding Electric Bike | Folding eBikes | Wisper | UK Delivery (wisperbikes.com)

Wisper 705 24" Step-Through eBike - Wisper Bikes
How do they differ to brompton folder?