E-cargo bikes (UrbanArrow vs Bakfiets.nl)?

EmmaStore

Just Joined
Jul 22, 2016
London
Hello,

I'm planning to buy an e-cargo bike to transport my 2 children everyday from home to nursery and pick them up after work. I'm completely new to e-bikes so it'd be amazing to hear the opinion of experienced users.

The two models I'm considering are:

1. Bakfiets.nl classic long: Shimano steps motor with 36 volt, 11.6 Ahr battery, NuVinci continuously variable hub gear, roller brakes, steel frame, steel fork.

2. Urban Arrow Family: Bosch Classic Line with Powerpack 300 battery, hydraulic disc brakes, NuVinci N360 continuously variable planetary hub gear, aluminium frame, steel fork.

Any recommendations?

Thanks a lot!!!!

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Welcome
We managed with ebikes and trailer towed behind.
Is that an option for you?

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
I fixed an electrified Madsen Bucket Bike a few years back for a colleague. The bike looked like a lot of fun, seemed you could carry millions of kids in it. (More realistically 3 or 4 little-uns)

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Reactions: IR772

Electric Transport Shop

Official Trade Member
Aug 7, 2010
Hi Emma store. I have a lot of experience with the bakfiets.nl and they are great bikes. I've had 3 because the 1st one I bought had a small box and I quickly realised I didn't need a car. As my 1st little girl grew I needed the long bakfiets so that I could fit her and her friends, their toys, shopping and my stuff in too. You wouldn't believe what and who I've had in these bikes but I have some stories to tell! :) anyway after 5 years and 19000 miles I sold my long bakfiets for almost what I paid because after a little clean it looked almost new despite living outside the whole time. Now I've got a new one due to an addition to the family. This one has an alloy box frame which looks great. I've done over 2500 miles on it without an issue. Working in the ebike industry for 12 years I've been fortunate enough to test many ecargo trikes and bikes but have not tried the urban arrow yet. I like a number of things about the bakfiets 1. It is a beautiful ride - comfortable, very easy to control and much easier to cycle than you'd imagine. 2. I like to cycle pretty fast and and the steel frame helps to soften a lot of the bumps particularly when the box is full. 3. The roller brakes work as well in the wet as the dry and they minimise skidding (and whiplash) during sharp braking but still stop quickly. 3. The fact that they are really well made, the colour stands up to living outdoors as do the chrome parts.
Although I would currently recommend the Bosch system over the Shimano Steps (It's simply a more refined better made system) I think it's most important to get the best made bike here and if possible test ride on route for a week or so.
Hope that helps. Any questions message or email me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

EmmaStore

Just Joined
Jul 22, 2016
London
Thanks D8ve, the trailers seems great and much cheaper, unfortunately, we are set on the cargo because my 2 year old has always been "high need" and while he has loved cycling on the cargo bikes we have tested, he doesn't stop crying if we put him in a trailer behind, no matter what we do :-(

Thanks a lot for your help Electric Transport Shop, this is really useful info. We have tried both: a bakefiets long (without electric assist) for 1.5 weeks from our friends that were on holidays and we loved it (they also do). We also tested the urban arrow with electric assist but only for like 20 minutes; this was from someone I met on the street cycling with it. The owner was super generous and proud and happy with the bike, so after lots of questions he allowed me and my son to test it around the block. We also loved it, specially the electric assist. However, I couldn't made my mind up after testing them because they both feel excellent and my son was extremely happy in both. He didn't want to ride in the bike seat of my bike after that. I definitely prefer either of them to my normal bike, which is a very cheap raleigh, and I now finally understand what's the big deal about riding a high quality bike.

Last edited:

EmmaStore

Just Joined
Jul 22, 2016
London
I fixed an electrified Madsen Bucket Bike a few years back for a colleague. The bike looked like a lot of fun, seemed you could carry millions of kids in it. (More realistically 3 or 4 little-uns)

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
Thanks, looks really nice, but I think my son would much prefer to ride at the front.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I really wish these were around when my kids were young, I am jealous!

I have the project to build a cargo trike for carrying a passenger (human or labrador depending on context). I like trikes because you put the brake on and get off without worrying about it falling over. It is also two wheels and tyres carrying the load up front instead of one and two brakes also.

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Bi%^#g Nora . I saw seven today in Bristol. Not normaly seen in quantity and now they are every where!