Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Yes, ride down a steep hill.

f1982

Just Joined
Mar 8, 2023
I'm also trying to figure out the answer to this. My ideal top speed via the motor would be closer to 20mph, so it topping out at 15.5mph is a little frustrating.
I fully understand the reason for the limit, but would love to know if anyone had found a way to remove or extend the limit. There seems to be many suggestions for other models of bike, but after quite a lot of looking haven't found anything for this one.
The common 'easy' solution is to go into the settings and change the wheel size, so the bike thinks it has a smaller wheel than it actually does, so it extends the speed up to something like 18mph. But...I can't find anyone who has found a way to change the wheel size in the controller on this model. It does have a 'secret menu' but this is only to change things like the screen brightness and such. Other models let you change the wheel size here, but not on this model.
Anyone any idea if it's at all possible? Surely there must be a way for the factory to set the wheel size, since this bike comes in 3 different sizes.

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
Surely there must be a way for the factory to set the wheel size, since this bike comes in 3 different sizes.
The firmware is pre-programmed at the factory. The days of manufacturers leaving the parameter setting menus open are now largely gone - at least for store-bought bikes like Halfords, Decathlon, Pure. Even where a parameter menu is left accessible, it'll often be restricted.

Chinese makers direct selling here (Fiido, Engwe, Samebike, ADO etc etc) usually still have quite easy methods to defeat the speed limiter as their bikes are sold through many countries where higher speeds are legally permitted (eg in the US). That's true too for kits/conversions, which is why some will change parts on pre-manufactured bikes for 3rd party components (controllers/displays) to then enable otherwise unchangeable parameters.

There are some 3rd party methods of defeating limiters (dongles) for some premium brand bikes (eg Bosch), but even those are being clamped down on with OTA or dealer software updates.

RockRiders been around for some time now. If there is a defeat for your bike, someone would have already discovered it, but IIRC not on this forum. The more time that passes with routine manufacturer upgrades, even if it were at some time possible I doubt it will be on the latest models.

f1982

Just Joined
Mar 8, 2023
The firmware is pre-programmed at the factory. The days of manufacturers leaving the parameter setting menus open are now largely gone - at least for store-bought bikes like Halfords, Decathlon, Pure. Even where a parameter menu is left accessible, it'll often be restricted.

Chinese makers direct selling here (Fiido, Engwe, Samebike, ADO etc etc) usually still have quite easy methods to defeat the speed limiter as their bikes are sold through many countries where higher speeds are legally permitted (eg in the US). That's true too for kits/conversions, which is why some will change parts on pre-manufactured bikes for 3rd party components (controllers/displays) to then enable otherwise unchangeable parameters.

There are some 3rd party methods of defeating limiters (dongles) for some premium brand bikes (eg Bosch), but even those are being clamped down on with OTA or dealer software updates.

RockRiders been around for some time now. If there is a defeat for your bike, someone would have already discovered it, but IIRC not on this forum. The more time that passes with routine manufacturer upgrades, even if it were at some time possible I doubt it will be on the latest models.
Thanks for the super detailed response! That's interesting. I assumed they'd have a single firmware made, with options to then select the only parameter that is a variable between the 3 models...so I also assumed that would be set on the controller, ie the bit with the lcd screen. I thought it would be cheaper to make all the electronic parts identical, then set them on the lcd for the bike, but I guess I assumed wrong!
Looks like i'll just need to get used to the 15mph limit at all times.

• Agree
Reactions: cyclebuddy

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
I have 3 e-bikes.

The first uses a Bafang crank-drive motor. All parameters are easily accessible either with PC software or with an Android App (Speeed) - both easy to obtain/free. The user can change not only the top speed limit, but how power is applied, how many levels of assist there are... pretty much every parameter possible. Totally unlimited it can achieve/assist to 28mph.

The second bike uses a TranzX crank-drive motor. Nothing can be changed by the user. Even with the dealer Logix software (which I have), there is a parameter to change the top speed but in that software not beyond the legal 15.5mph... only to a lower level. That upper limit is hard coded and nothing will/can change it.

My 3rd e-bike is a Chinese folding bike, a Fiido D11. There is a user accessible menu which allows you to change a limited number of parameters, including wheel size. That achieves 18mph, which is all that motor can give.

Anyone wishing for a higher assist limit really needs to do their homework before buying as to which manufacturers allow that.

Reactions: flecc and Woosh

f1982

Just Joined
Mar 8, 2023
I have 3 e-bikes.

The first uses a Bafang crank-drive motor. All parameters are easily accessible either with PC software or with an Android App (Speeed) - both easy to obtain/free. The user can change not only the top speed limit, but how power is applied, how many levels of assist there are... pretty much every parameter possible. Totally unlimited it can achieve/assist to 28mph.

The second bike uses a TranzX crank-drive motor. Nothing can be changed by the user. Even with the dealer Logix software (which I have), there is a parameter to change the top speed but in that software not beyond the legal 15.5mph... only to a lower level. That upper limit is hard coded and nothing will/can change it.

My 3rd e-bike is a Chinese folding bike, a Fiido D11. There is a user accessible menu which allows you to change a limited number of parameters, including wheel size. That achieves 18mph, which is all that motor can give.

Anyone wishing for a higher assist limit really needs to do their homework before buying as to which manufacturers allow that.
Thanks again for the additional information. The Rockrider is my first e-bike, and of course no matter how much 'browsing' you do, there is always stuff you work out and discover only after you've dropped cash and dipped your toe in the water. I do love this bike, don't regret the purchase at all as for the money it does the job I need and I don't think i'd have seen much benefit even if spending 2x as much. And extending the speed beyond 15.5 up to around 18 by changing the wheel size in settings was always a 'nice to have' rather than essential.
But from searching the issue before choosing the bike, I did get the impression it would be easier than it turns out it is. It appears even the other models from rockrider have a pretty simply way to this.

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
Can any one tell me if I can make my rockrider e st100 faster ?
It's not just legislation. Maintaining 20 mph via motor consumes disproportionate amount of power.
Few years ago I experimented with a dongle (fits on speed sensor, to reduce frequency of speed pulses, ie bike thinks its going slower)
Without it, I, d try and stick at 15.5 mph, drop lower, power kicks in and helps you back to 16 mph or so.. Doing this I could easily get 30 miles (and more) even in high setting.
With dongle on you maintain 20 mph easy enough but power even at 20 never stops. Sounds great (and strictly illegal) but I, d get 18 miles max...
Stick with the 15.5 mph or buy a motorbike. Or always ride down hill.
I had a look at Rock rider E..
Looked great, how's it going?

• Agree
Reactions: cyclebuddy

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
I do love this bike, don't regret the purchase at all as for the money it does the job I need and I don't think i'd have seen much benefit even if spending 2x as much.
You being happy with your purchase is I think all that matters.

Even though my first and third e-bikes are "unlocked" to 20mph and 18mph respectively and I know I'm technically breaking the law, I still very much enjoy my second TranzX motored e-bike even though it's resolutely locked at 15.5mph. Half the fun of riding that is the knowledge that it was ridiculously cheap (in a sale) for a crank-driven e-bike with 10-speed Deore gearing and hydraulic brakes - despite many naysayers here on this forum at the time I bought it doubting the efficacy of the motor brand (i.e. it's not a Bosch at 2x as much). Truth is it's still a blast to ride, been 100% reliable, and hugely enjoyable for those rides I still use it for. Regrets? Like you, none.

Zlatan makes a good point though - unlocked bikes eat battery.

Reactions: Zlatan