EBike Chains

Ballynoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 13, 2017
Perthshire Scotland
Hi All,

does anyone know if e'bike chains are different (stronger) than normal bike chains.

I have an 11 speed on my Cube e'bike, no problem there, but I have noticed a few websites selling such a chain for up to £40. Are they trying to rip me off or are e'bike chains different or stronger, as I know I can get a good quality 11 speed chain for less than £20, as I have done with my normal bike.

Thanks All.

• Useful
Reactions: LeighPing

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
I buy mid priced chains and after 2700km on the giant road ebike I am still running all original gear components and am on my second 11 speed chain. Going by what others have said you can be unlucky and gave a chain break but otherwise wear seems to be determined by riding conditions.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
I have a park chain measuring tool that I use to measure wear and change it when the second measuring pin drops into a link. I have been somewhat surprised by chain stretch (lack of). I expected it to eat chains, or at least have to buy a heavy duty one.. This is my 4th ebike and it's been the same for all of them. Those that ride in dusty gritty conditions get considerably less miles from one tho..

Reactions: Ballynoes

Russelliow

Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2017
iom
I have just replaced my first chain at 500 miles now that the 0.7 guage drops in place. I replaced it with a kmc ebike chain so time will tell. My bike is always on turbo and ride off road as much as possible.

tommie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 13, 2013
Co. Down, N. Ireland, U.K.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Reading the description the "ebike specific" refers to the extra length and also implies that the construction is the same for all types of bike. At that price you can afford to change it often..

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
A little trick I use on my eBay shop. Compatible with *****. In my case it allows me to use a brand name to advertise my wares and gets more search results.. I strongly suspect that ebike chains are no different from other chains of the same type/manufacturer.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I have a KMC on the trike and I am not liking it as much as the Wippermann on the upright. I fold the trike to store it after every ride so I am beginning to think I need a chain tool in my pannier... Just in case... Looking at my options a Wipperman for the trike is going to cost 39€ because I have to buy 3 chains to make one which is 2.6 normal chains in length. 11 speed chains are twice the price of 8 speed ones probably because they are harder to make.

Mac_user82

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 16, 2014
I have a kmc digital chain checker and before i was using a park tool one which was not very accurate at all i was going through chains about every 500 miles or so but now i am using the kmc digital its complete different every link gives a reading so it more accurate to say when it time to put the chain in the bin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cookiee

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 20, 2017
Australia Albany WA
I've been wondering the same thing about e-bike chain, am I paying for the e-bike label or is there a difference.
So far with my 2018 Turbo Levo FSR Comp Carbon the original chain
(KMC X11ET, 11-speed ) lasted about 400km until it had 1/6'' of wear over 12 inches. Now I'm run two KMC X11e E-Bike 11-speed chains and changing my cleaning and lube processes to try and extend my chain life.
I recently order some YBN 11-speed E-Bike Chain S11e S2 136 to try, it's a bit cheaper than the KMC .
https://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/ybn-11-speed-e-bike-chain-s11e-s2-136-links-542222

Ballynoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 13, 2017
Perthshire Scotland
All very interesting.

The impression I get is that they are not specific e bike chains, but the thinking I get is that it is best to get a better quality chain for an e bike than an ordinary bike, due to the increased pressure you exert on them.

Given the price of a good quality chain it looks like it's worth replacing them regularly, rather than "mincing up" other expensive components.

• Agree
Reactions: Izzyekerslike

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Very few of us will exert 'increased pressure' on the chain.

A weak or moderately fit rider + a legal motor = no more and probably less strain than that exerted by a fit rider on a push bike.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Very few of us will exert 'increased pressure' on the chain.

A weak or moderately fit rider + a legal motor = no more and probably less strain than that exerted by a fit rider on a push bike.
Of course this only applies to crank drive ebikes , as those hub ones don't use the chain for motor drive. On a crank drive, the human could be exerting 100w continuously and the motor an other 300w continuously so the load would be 400w. There would not be many cyclists who could sustain that for an hour. Intermittent power by the cyclist could be 200w and another 500w from the motor... That's more than a horsepower This will lead to stretch.

• Agree
Reactions: Izzyekerslike

cycling weakly

Pedelecer
Oct 4, 2015
This chain is 1/8" single speed or geared hub only. Even with 7 or 8 speed block the gear change would be horrible with those deep plates. Also the argument that an average ebiker & motor only produce similar power to a top pro. rider is flawed because a top pro & his bike don't weigh anywhere near as much as said average ebiker & bike. Also the likes of Team Sky can afford to fit a new chain every day if needed.

Steve

Related Articles

Advertisers