Ebike Giant Fathom or Cube or other?

huggins

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 8, 2019
Hi All, Looking to buy my first ebike and want an MTB base with a decent amount of Torque 80? is that enough ? and decent range. Budget 2k max ideally,

I've been recommended a Giant Fathom E+3 which is in budget and i've been keeping an eye out for second hand ones for sale, there seem to be quite alot which people sell on very quickly with little use it would appear? Are there any inherent faults to this model? What are the things to be careful of / check when buying second hand - aside from the obvious condition checks etc.

I'd consider any brand Cube etc in budget. Ideally i'd like a bike that can be derestricited easily also.

Thanks for any recommendations. Regards Huggins

AnastieByte

Sep 19, 2019
Im also new to e-biking. I was looking at a Cube then spotted a used Giant Dirt-e+2. I think mine has similar specs to the Fathom apart from a smaller battery. I'm really enjoying the giant Dirt. Its got 80nm torque which is great on the hills. I've not run out of juice yet but only done 20 miles. On a return ride up some steep gradients yesterday I started with four bars (had not charged the battery) and needed a mix of eco to sport to manage the ascent. The bike still said on max I had 40 miles left. going to eco again gave me around 60miles. I know there are many variables but im happy with the Giant and the 500wa battery. The 400 should be fine depending on how far you want to go.

huggins

Oct 8, 2019
Brilliant thanks for the feedback Anastiebyte. I was looking at the Giant as has 80 nm torque whereas the equivalent price bracket Cube is 50 -65 I believe.

Does anyone else have any views / recommendations? Cheers Huggins

Last edited:
Reactions: AnastieByte

huggins

Oct 8, 2019
That looks epic - I got excited ...then read the price again and realised it had an extra digit!

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
if you ditch those wheels its about 4k cheaper ;)
That looks epic - I got excited ...then read the price again and realised it had an extra digit!