Ebike newbie

SteveDillon

Just Joined
Jun 18, 2019
Hi,
having rented an ebike recently, I'm converted. The bike we rented was a crank driven (using Bosch), but I'm thinking of converting my existing non electric tourer. The centre drive conversion options look cumbersome, so I've been looking at a front drive option but with a bottom bracket torque sensor rather than a pedal sensor (to mimic the Bosch).
Unfortunately I cannot find any UK (or European) supplier of the requisite sensors / controllers (even though i think THUN is German). The best website by far is the Canadian Grin Tech site.
Am I missing something ? Is there a reason why conversion components such as the Torque Sensor and controller are (apparently) not available this side of the pond.
I came across a similar post from 2016, but the poster managed to get hold of the sensor without finding a retailer.

I'll copy this post into the conversion kit forum.
Thanks in advance for any help.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Hi,

I may have what you are looking for. It's a torque sensor controller with downtube battery.
It combines simple wiring and natural biking experience.
Let me know which donor bike you want to convert.

SteveDillon

Just Joined
Jun 18, 2019
Hi,

I may have what you are looking for. It's a torque sensor controller with downtube battery.
It combines simple wiring and natural biking experience.
Let me know which donor bike you want to convert.

Hi Woosh,
thanks for your quick reply. The kit certainly looks close to my ideal, and may be my final option if I can't get anywhere with the ideas currently wizzing round my head. There are two areas where this kit differs from my current thinking. Firstly I would like to keep the multi chainwheel of my donor bike, and secondly I was looking at a front wheel drive (yours looks like rear drive but I'm not 100% sure). My reasoning (which may be flawed) is that I would like to still have the option of a very low gear on steep uphill so that I can avoid using too much battery power (I'm sure an ebike with a single chainwheel would be more than capable, but I still want a bit of a workout and don't want to shoot uphill too fast when cycling with friends).
I haven't considered the front / rear drive question too much. My assumption is that front is simpler and allows me to keep my rear block and derailleur.
I might have to get my head around the fact that I might not need as wide a gear range with an ebike. Also the kit looks neat and the display is small and unobtrusive.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Firstly I would like to keep the multi chainwheel of my donor bike,
From memory, the BCD is 130mm on the torque sensor.
I can confirm it tomorrow when I get back to work.
secondly I was looking at a front wheel drive (yours looks like rear drive but I'm not 100% sure).
the kit can be supplied with front motor wheel.