eBike that can go over 15mph

AlanB23

Just Joined
Feb 10, 2019
Hello,

Im looking for an eBike (sorry if thats the wrong term - would it be classed as an eMotorcycle) that can go over 15mph - to keep things legal I assume I would need to pay insurance, road tax, MOT like a petrol bike.

I don't want a bike thats the size of a motorbike/scooter - something with the look, dimensions & approx weight of an eBike but can go over 15mph. Range of approx 25miles would be sufficient.

Would be used for work commute on road. Just want it to blend in at the bike rack and if i have to lift it up stairs etc. Would also be nice if i could take it on the train. Am i asking too much :)

Any help appreciated...

Thanks
Alan

Last edited:

AlanB23

Just Joined
Feb 10, 2019
Found this on the gov website - so its classed as a motorcycle. Ok so I think what im looking for is an electric motorcycle that looks like an eBike :)

Other kinds of electric bike
Any electric bike that does not meet the EAPC rules is classed as a motorcycle or moped and needs to be registered and taxed. You’ll need a driving licence to ride one and you must wear a crash helmet.
The bike must also be type approved if either:
  • it does not meet the EAPC rules
  • it can be propelled without pedalling (a ‘twist and go’ EAPC)
This should have been done by the manufacturer or importer before you bought it. If it’s been type approved, it will have a plate showing its type approval number.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Reactions: AlanB23

trevor brooker

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2018
maidstone
Hello,

Im looking for an eBike (sorry if thats the wrong term - would it be classed as an eMotorcycle) that can go over 15mph - to keep things legal I assume I would need to pay insurance, road tax, MOT like a petrol bike.

I don't want a bike thats the size of a motorbike/scooter - something with the look, dimensions & approx weight of an eBike but can go over 15mph. Range of approx 25miles would be sufficient.

Would be used for work commute on road. Just want it to blend in at the bike rack and if i have to lift it up stairs etc. Would also be nice if i could take it on the train. Am i asking too much :)

Any help appreciated...

Thanks
Alan
what you are looking for is a
Legally Registered S-Pedelec

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yes, a Speed pedelec known as the S -Class is the type of e-bike you need. Allowed a double power rating of up to 500 watts and with assistance to 28 mph, they are otherwise normal bicycles except having to be registered.

This webpage explains the difference

There are many makes with all the legal bits and number plate mounting, but they aren't cheap!

Last edited:
Reactions: AlanB23

AlanB23

Just Joined
Feb 10, 2019
Watched this video - looks like need to be careful that I get one that satisfies UK motorbike legalities

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yes, you must aim for one with a certificate of conformity for the DVLA to accept it.

After we leave the EU on the 29th March or whenever, even that might no longer be valid, but that's a legal technicality and no doubt the DfT and DVLA will just carrying on accepting them since we won't have any other system in place.

Except chaos! We seem to be good at that these days. :(

Advertisers