eBike Weight

Young Keith

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 29, 2018
Hi,

With my 17 stone lump of a body and at 5 ft 10 inches tall would i be better trying to find an ebike with battery behind the seat post so that the weight of the rear motor and myself would be best distributed evenly or my weight and motor and battery be alright at the rear, i don't` really want a front hub motor as i have often heard of riders going over the top handlebars sounds a little dangerous to, and as i get older it scares the pants of me, when i was younger going over the handlebars was quite satisfactory but not at 64 years. So would i be better off with the battery behind the seat post or doesn`t not really matter. Most average bikes include 10ah batteries, if you were to buy a bike with a 10ah battery could you uprate at a later stage for a higher one say 13/16ah one, would it be sensible or not, another question just came to mind most bikes are 26 inch wheels if buying a ebike with 28 inch wheel would i get a smoother ride, i think that sitting on top of a 28" bike seems a long way up and a long ways down if you come off it. In any ones a pinion would i be better of with the Bang 8Fun or TranzX motor, it seems the average best bikes have the bang motors so what is the difference. Just going of these questions does anybody know anything about the ebike Crussis e-City 1.8 alloy step through bikes 13ah battery at £899 from Ebikes Direct website, although a Czech country bike seems for the price a good starter bike

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
Where motor is mounted will not cause you to go over front handlebars in crash. The downside to front motor is it can loose traction on step climb.

I've had one bad experience on rear hub with rear rack battery where I came of backwards when using throttle.

Young Keith

Sep 29, 2018
Where motor is mounted will not cause you to go over front handlebars in crash. The downside to front motor is it can loose traction on step climb.

I've had one bad experience on rear hub with rear rack battery where I came of backwards when using throttle.

Thank you for your reply, so what you say really is a mid mount battery behind the seatpost would be the best of all worlds, i just find that the type of bikes look a little longer than the front or rear hub bike with battery on the rear, but i can see the point
Keith

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
the usual consensus is you want the rear wheel tucked under the saddle. This arrangement reduces the momentum of inertia for bike + rider.
That arrangement makes the bike more maneuverable, so the best configuration is middle motor with battery on the downtube, you get the centre of gravity nearest to the bottom bracket,
For step through bikes, it's difficult to place the battery on the downtube so the choice of placement is trickier. Trevormonty's bad experience is very rare nowadays because the twist and go throttle is no longer fitted.

• Agree
Reactions: Nefarious

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

Young Keith

Sep 29, 2018
the usual consensus is you want the rear wheel tucked under the saddle. This arrangement reduces the momentum of inertia for bike + rider.
That arrangement makes the bike more maneuverable, so the best configuration is middle motor with battery on the downtube, you get the centre of gravity nearest to the bottom bracket,
For step through bikes, it's difficult to place the battery on the downtube so the choice of placement is trickier. Trevormonty's bad experience is very rare nowadays because the twist and go throttle is no longer fitted.

Thanks for the reply, the step thru bike is the one i would be looking at, so if i bought a bike with mid motor at the bottom and battery either behind the seat post or even on the rear carrier then the weight would be distributed far better than having both battery and motor at the rear, if the motor hub is at the front and battery at the reat then the balance would be even better, so i will look at front hub motor and rear battery rack, i have seen a battery on a step thru been fitted even if it was and the motor was at the rear it still some lump of weight plus myself, the rear motor and my body will not compensate the rear weight but front motor battery rear and me in the middle would, such a compromise. Thanks for the info the woosh big bear seems to be the bike front motor rear battery and better price than some.