Electric motorcycle TT race

Bikerbob

Pedelecer
May 10, 2007
Isle of Man
We are just starting TT fortnight in the Isle of Man - practice week and race week. I'm looking forward to the first electric motorcycle race, the TTXGP, which will be held on Senior Race Day - Friday 12th June. Some of you may have seen the article about it in todays Sunday Times Ingear supplement.

Apparently the bikes have been reaching about 150mph during development. The race will be of one lap of the 37 mile course and there are 17 teams from America, India, Italy, Germany, Austria - and the Isle of Man - entering 23 bikes. The battery of choice seems to be lithium-titanate, well I'm sure you guessed that! The favourites are an american team, Mission One, who have poached designers and engineers from the likes of Google, Intel and Ducati. They say that their bike will do 150mph with a range of 150 miles, though I'd guess not both at the same time. They already sell electric road bikes and, in the well-established tradition of factory TT entries, are hoping that a TT win will bring their bikes to a wider public. Should be interesting.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Thanks for the info Bob, I'd heard of the intention but knew nothing of the detail you've given. I don't suppose the British media will give it any publicity, they don't even report the Senior TT race results, so I'd be grateful for any further info and e-race results that come your way.

jac

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 1, 2007
hi if you google ttxgp you can see a couple of the bikes

jim

Bikerbob

Pedelecer
May 10, 2007
Isle of Man
Thanks Jim. Tony, I'll post any details I can after the race. ITV have the TV rights this year and all the races will be on their ITV4 evening programs. This race starts at 10.45am. ITV4 have coverage on that Friday for the periods 1230-1330, 1800-1900, and 2100-2200. There are also review programs on the Saturday. Obviously this race won't be shown live but I would hope it will get coverage in the later programs, if only because it is the first of its kind.

Bob

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Thanks Jim. Tony, I'll post any details I can after the race. I think ITV have the TV rights this year. Their evening program usually shows the morning race of that day and the afternoon race of the previous race day. I would hope they will give some coverage of this race if only because it is the first of its kind. Again, I'll let you know if I hear more.

Bob
Thanks Bob. Of course ITV is regional so whether we'll get any reports in London is an unknown. The only motorcycling I get to see these days is on BBC 2 with Moto GP and the odd superbike event.

Bikerbob

Pedelecer
May 10, 2007
Isle of Man
Thanks Bob. Of course ITV is regional so whether we'll get any reports in London is an unknown. The only motorcycling I get to see these days is on BBC 2 with Moto GP and the odd superbike event.
Hi Tony. If there is anything worthwhile I'll send you a DVD! If you go to the official TT website Welcome to iomtt.com - The official Isle of Man TT 2009 website and click on 'tt 2009' there are links to race and TV schedules and lots more. Race results and details should also appear there soon after they happen.

Bob

Django

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2007
This has been very well covered in the motorcycling press, with 'Bike' magazine leading the way. They have an entry in conjunction with Brammo Motorsports.

There is a full article in the July issue

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Thanks Bob. The new issue of Radio Times confirms a daily one hour program on ITV4 covering the day's TT events, so most of us having digital TV access will get the information.

ITV4 has become the two wheelers friend, covering the Tour de France and many other cycling events each year. Maybe we can get them to do a Presteigne feature next year?

Bikerbob

Pedelecer
May 10, 2007
Isle of Man
ITV4 has become the two wheelers friend, covering the Tour de France and many other cycling events each year. Maybe we can get them to do a Presteigne feature next year?

It might be worth the organisers making a pitch to them, you never know. If they don't know it's on they can't cover it. It is the sort of event that might find a shortish slot in a longer program.

Advertisers