electroncycles bbs02 bac855 upgrade?

2sidney22

Just Joined
Jan 13, 2022
the upgrade kit I want is

www.electroncycles.co.uk/product/48-52v ... over-loom/

I'd love to know if anyone has tried it, is it really as "plug n play" as it seems?
Is it for the bbs02a or bbs02b?
It seems for the bbs02b based on the included controller cover in the picture.
What about the supplier. They seem like a good company based on reviews i've read regarding their batteries and higher power stuff, but for this kit, I've scoured the internet for independent reviews to no avail.
I've spent countless hours looking to upgrade my bbs02b and I always seem to come back to this as my preferred upgrade.
Thanking you in advance for your suggestions, reviews and time.

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
the upgrade kit I want is

www.electroncycles.co.uk/product/48-52v ... over-loom/

I'd love to know if anyone has tried it, is it really as "plug n play" as it seems?
Is it for the bbs02a or bbs02b?
It seems for the bbs02b based on the included controller cover in the picture.
What about the supplier. They seem like a good company based on reviews i've read regarding their batteries and higher power stuff, but for this kit, I've scoured the internet for independent reviews to no avail.
I've spent countless hours looking to upgrade my bbs02b and I always seem to come back to this as my preferred upgrade.
Thanking you in advance for your suggestions, reviews and time.
I can't directly help with the specific kit, but there is a red flag for me in the write up: "controller locked...".

If by upgrade you mean more power and more speed, then perhaps consider one of Grin's controllers, which are highly configurable. They can tell you more... ebikes.ca

20220113_181344.jpg

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
My biggest concern would be to find a battery to keep up with the current required 50 amps and up to 90 amps peak , the range of a normal battery even with an uprated bms is going to be in minutes not miles
Even at 72v the battery will need to be custom built and end up huge/ heavy to get decent range
And the cost:eek:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
ASI BAC800

Reactions: Pierman

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
ASI BAC855 - Prevent Heat Damage!

I893469365902345609348566

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 20, 2021
A badger collision at this speed would be horrifying:

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
ASI BAC800

Interesting watch!

2,800W. It might be a struggle to persuade even a sympathetic law enforcer that that bears any relation to 250W continuous rated power.

I893469365902345609348566

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 20, 2021
Interesting watch!

2,800W. It might be a struggle to persuade even a sympathetic law enforcer that that bears any relation to 250W continuous rated power.
Would make short work of the pig track up Snowdon. If limited by the display or controller at 250W by the controller for road use, would it be road legal in the UK?

Last edited:

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Would make short work of the pig track up Snowdon. If limited by the display or controller at 250W by the controller for road use, would it be road legal in the UK?
Remember it will be illegal to use over 250w nominal off-road in any public place.

If limited to 250w on road a bit confusing. If I remember the rules discuss a 'switch' to change power levels; if a bike has a switch that allows power above 250w nominal it is not allowed on road, or odd-road in a public place, even if it is switched to 250w. There is no clear definition of switch. One theory is that it counts as a switch if it can easily be changed by the user without dismounting the bike.

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
Would make short work of the pig track up Snowdon. If limited by the display or controller at 250W by the controller for road use, would it be legal in the UK?
The PYG (Pen Y Gwryd) track is a footpath, not a bridle way like some of the other Snowdon routes, so bikes only permitted if not being ridden. Never seen a bike that side myself!

Plenty about the law elsewhere on here. Short answer is no, because the BBS02 is not a 250W motor - that's the BBS01.

One day a court will take sufficient interest in a case where someone is trying to hide behind a fake 250W label, and then the law will probably change. Sadly that will probably be after a collision with a pedestrian resulting in serious injury or death.

The way the law seems to work in the UK is that if nothing bad happens, and an activity is technically wrong but at a minor level and irritating rather than egregiously in your face out of order, then it can go on being tolerated for a very long time. Think 80mph on the motorway. It might even become the new law. But 120mph is never going to be the law, and when found out is going to be dealt with severely.

That's the likely fate when one of these multi-kW devices is analysed in detail after an accident.

Handle

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 4, 2020
The PYG (Pen Y Gwryd) track is a footpath, not a bridle way like some of the other Snowdon routes, so bikes only permitted if not being ridden. Never seen a bike that side myself!

Plenty about the law elsewhere on here. Short answer is no, because the BBS02 is not a 250W motor - that's the BBS01.

One day a court will take sufficient interest in a case where someone is trying to hide behind a fake 250W label, and then the law will probably change. Sadly that will probably be after a collision with a pedestrian resulting in serious injury or death.

The way the law seems to work in the UK is that if nothing bad happens, and an activity is technically wrong but at a minor level and irritating rather than egregiously in your face out of order, then it can go on being tolerated for a very long time. Think 80mph on the motorway. It might even become the new law. But 120mph is never going to be the law, and when found out is going to be dealt with severely.

That's the likely fate when one of these multi-kW devices is analysed in detail after an accident.