eMTB owners photo and ride thread.

Dom T

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 17, 2017
Shropshire
Well today was new insert and tyres day Nukeproof ADR inserts, 2 boxes, 29 and 27.5, as we have mullet bikes with regards to the Canyons.
Put one on the rear of the Voodoo (29in) and one on the rear of my Canyon, plus new nobblies. On his Canyon he did front and rear inserts.
They are an absolute tW@t to put on with the enduro style tyres, quite heavy, but then we have eMTB's so who care about weight. It'll be interesting to see how it drains the battery.
IMG_20200801_112910.jpgIMG_20200801_115510.jpgIMG_20200801_123024.jpgIMG_20200801_163135.jpg

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
Had a bit of a rear tyre saga

I began a pattern of 6 days at work that started on Wednesday the 29th of July, and being late start jobs should have allowed me to ride 6 consecutive 12 mile off road rides to work and then a 10 mile road ride home late at night.

I mentioned that on the last ride home from work the bike would not go into top gear 9. The rear mech needed removing cleaning and adjusting but is now working as it should.

I had recently also got a second rear puncture and decided that after 6,500 miles it was time for a new rear tyre.

So as I need to avoid punctures as much as possible I decided to get my first Schwalbe Marathon Plus mountain bike tyre. I also got a slime filled tube. I did make sure when I pumped up the slime tube that the tyre was at about ten to two position so slime would not fowl the valve. My son and I did a 20 mile gentle off road shake down ride together and all was well.

So I set off on Wednesday afternoon and 4 miles in the back tyre went mostly down. I limped home and took the car. I was not pleased!

The next day I rode my splendid £100 second hand rear hub bike. Before going I checked the Marathon plus tyre and it looked good. So I pumped it up before going to work.

When I got home it was soft. Maybe the valve I think. The next day I put a different valve in and pumped it up. It went down faster.

Then I removed the rear wheel, and took out the tube, nothing of note on either. I put a non slime new tube in and pumped up the tyre.

Hey presto, the next day the tyre was still good. Finally. So I rode my rear hub bike for three days wasting the off road riding potential, but still much better than driving the car.

I finally rode The Haibike Yesterday and really enjoyed my off road route. I used the track that I found the council turning into a road and took a picture, and found an old picture of the track, so you can see the difference.
Ride to work secret garden 11 05 20 002.JPG
Before.
Bridle path ride to work 02 08 20 002.JPG
Afterwards, why? How much did it cost?

The unsung hero in all this is my £100 second hand rear hub 2011 Oxygen emate city that I have now ridden for 1186 miles after buying it from the pedelec classified advertisements around September 2018.

It is great to have a back up bike to ride when the Haibike is not available, so I can still ride to work rather than take the car. For early starts when I am riding to work and back on the road I use the Oxygen instead of the Haibike as it is a better road riding commuting machine and to save the Haibike for what it does best, off road riding.

On one of the return trips from work on the Oxygen I had accidentally switched on the average speed setting and when the wheels stopped turning on my driveway it showed 19.6 mph, still using the original 2011 battery!

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Valves can stick esp with slime or other gunk in a TL set up or tubed set up.

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
I did put a new valve in. I think there was a poor fit between the valve stem and the valve, when screwed in air could still escape, just one of those annoying things.

Dom T

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 17, 2017
Shropshire
My Hubs used the slime ones and he also had little success with them, punctures and one exploded, slime everywhere. Tubeless all the way for me.

Related Articles

Advertisers