eMTB owners photo and ride thread.

Steve A

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2016
Ashford, UK
I took this photo of the A 49 at Ashton, a very busy and nasty road, I never cycle on it.

I was out near it last night and the road was closed so I cycled over and parked my bike and took a picture.

Reason for the road closure; a cycle club were doing time trials and turning round in a big layby, one of the cyclists was hit at the layby by a car. These clubs have warning signs out, the cyclists are dressed like Canaries etc etc what else can you do.

Air ambulance road closed for several hours etc etc.

The accident happened just over the hill in the photo
View attachment 18539
Sad. Thats a few people i've heard of being killed doing time trials. To be avoided if you ask me.

trouty

Pedelecer
Nov 4, 2016
west yorkshire BD20
I took this photo of the A 49 at Ashton, a very busy and nasty road, I never cycle on it.

I was out near it last night and the road was closed so I cycled over and parked my bike and took a picture.

Reason for the road closure; a cycle club were doing time trials and turning round in a big layby, one of the cyclists was hit at the layby by a car. These clubs have warning signs out, the cyclists are dressed like Canaries etc etc what else can you do.

Air ambulance road closed for several hours etc etc.

The accident happened just over the hill in the photo
View attachment 18539

Sadly this is far too common a thing nowadays , cars drivers killing cyclists .
last week the world lost one of the best ultra endurance cyclists Mike Hall
in a race in Australia killed by a car .

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
To be fair to the vehicle driver, we don't know the circumstances behind Mike's death.

In respect riding, I had a bit of change today. My bike shop owning friend was running an Orange Bikes demo day, and I kind of felt obliged to go along, especially as Orange had brought along 20 bikes. :) I choose an Orange Four RS.

I'm glad that I did, as it helped prove to me that my fitness level is better than I had thought.

I also conquered a steep bank/drop that has been my nemeses for over two years. I was familiar with the ride route, but after the lead rider had to take a call, I opted to lead the ride, and wanted to see what the Orange Four was capable of (not being my bike) so took it down what must be a near 3 metre almost vertical bank, that you have to stop at sharply when you hit the bottom, turn 90 degrees and go down a second drop of about 1.2 metres, that had a gully at the bottom which could send you over the bars, and a cast iron water pipe just forward of it, that goes like ice when wet. I have also been happy to go down the first bank, that others hesitate at, but not the second. Today I flew perhaps too fast down the big bank, but still made the turn at the bottom, and just went for it. I should really go back again and do it again tomorrow, but it was brilliant feeling knowing that have beaten it.

My next move perhaps wasn't so smart. There is a very steep and very long wooden staircase along the ride route, and I know of only one person that has ridden down it. I thought sod it today, and took my chance on it as well. It kind of went okay for the first half of it, but then the 800mm wide bars, hit the handrail, the bike locked solid and flipped sideways, and that was it. I was also perhaps carrying bit too much speed, but because the drop between each step is so great, I figured that speed would smooth things out. My hang on and hope method, might not be so recommended, especially as the momentum increased. :)

Good to be out on the KTM Ultra 1964.

And the Orange Four RS with Fox finishing kit, was just brilliant, and I am definitely now going to convert the Ultra to a single ring front chairing set up with a 42 on the rear.

Not a bad play ground, and right on my door step. (not my clip)

Last edited:

Gaz

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 14, 2016
Eastbourne
What a fantastic day for a bike ride! :cool:

I did 23.5 miles (that's good for me) at an average of 13.8mph. I even had to do a few hundred yards of off-roading, following a bridle path through woodland between Herstmonceux church and the castle. Was a bit odd to call it a 'bridle path' as it ended in a walkers gate that you can't get a horse (or a bike!) through, so I had to lift my bike over it, and the one the other end of the adjacent field :rolleyes: Lucky I have a height advantage as these gates were probably over 4' tall. Anyway, I ended up here:

before looping around and back home. Used just over half my battery, so taking its penchant to drop a bit suddenly after 18%, I reckon gives me a good 40 mile range. That'll do :)

Gaz

Tugwell Gibson

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 30, 2016
London
What a fantastic day for a bike ride! :cool:

I did 23.5 miles (that's good for me) at an average of 13.8mph. I even had to do a few hundred yards of off-roading, following a bridle path through woodland between Herstmonceux church and the castle. Was a bit odd to call it a 'bridle path' as it ended in a walkers gate that you can't get a horse (or a bike!) through, so I had to lift my bike over it, and the one the other end of the adjacent field :rolleyes: Lucky I have a height advantage as these gates were probably over 4' tall. Anyway, I ended up here:

before looping around and back home. Used just over half my battery, so taking its penchant to drop a bit suddenly after 18%, I reckon gives me a good 40 mile range. That'll do :)

Gaz
Nice photo

• Agree
Reactions: Steve A and Gaz

mountainsport

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2012
Not bad afternoon to be out and about.

I guess that a little get off was inevitable. eMTB + Clipless + fallen tree = a bit of gentle down time. With a bit more practice, Ali Clarkson will need to watch his back! :D Back there again next week for another go.

Ten Photos ten Likes my favourite is frame number four.

MS.

Reactions: EddiePJ

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Eddie, keep working on photoshop;)

and get a full face splat hat or this happens :(
DSC_0702_02.JPG

• :D
Reactions: Steve A and EddiePJ

mountainsport

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2012
what a day to be out in the dales but keeping up with a you pup was not easy
had to use tour and sport modes on the climbs and make full use of the suspension on the downhills .
I got a few personal bests on the decents which I think are valid as way above the leccy cut off speeds

trouty, fantastic footage, I really enjoyed it. The best bit for me is when your mate before you unexpectedly rode into that hidden swimming pool.

MS.

chris130256

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 4, 2016
herefordshire
Yes, a great day at Hopton. April and our bikes are not covered in mud but they are covered in dust! Not complaining though. IR772, my wife and I did 1.5 times round the Pierce XC track. Just over 12 miles, some parts very demanding in places but loads of grip and buckets of sunshine! IR772's skillset is improving with each venture at these bike trail centres. He tackled some sections better than me and is gaining confidence because the bike is so much more controlable with the gold paint highlighted tyres!
Hopton at its best. Pics to follow.

IR772

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2016
Leominster
gold paint highlighted tyres!
Chris now knows what is really important on a tyre, GOLD WRITING.

My new tyres and rims passed with a 10. Really pleased as tested them hard today; stones, roots, big fast drops and steep stand up to pedal climbs. I had some sharp hard knocks on the tyres as it is pretty relentless in places, with good breaking when needed.

This was my tubeless full test, at about 25 psi and all was well, really well.

I would say if you are lucky enough to join up and ride with a fellow eMTBer, you will have the best enjoyment. I go out riding with a normal cyclist, I love his company but you soon learn the power of an eMTB over a normal cyclist, even one 25 years younger.

I have stinging neck, back, legs and arms as I fell backwards luckily into a bramble bush, luckily as it was a 20 foot drop otherwise!

I am not going to make some coarse prick joke as that is beneath me.

IR772

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2016
Leominster
You would be best placed to put the experience behind you. :D
I ended up about 4 foot below the trail with the bike on top of me and I didn't know what to do as it hurt so much.

Luckily Lin came by to lift the bike off but still it was like being in an orgy, every time I moved I encountered a new prick.

I can laugh now but sleeping tonight will be a test, I was offered a Dettol bath !!

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

x 2 cans ASAP ;)

Related Articles

Advertisers