eMTB owners photo and ride thread.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Please respect forum rules, and my own personal choice by ensuring that only UK legal emtb's are posted within this thread. Please use the Speed pedelecs (S-Pedelecs), Non-EAPCs section for all other bikes, including those fitted with dongles.
If you do not happen to agree with the above, please feel free to start your own photo related thread in the above mentioned section, or continue to use the already existing topic starter detailed in the following link. http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/how-many-people-are-using-there-e-bike-off-road.15780/

Tonight's ride was an interesting mix of terrain, and almost for the first time this year, the bike returned a relatively clean state.
Myself and the lad that I ride with once a week decided that we would venture back to the woodland where last weeks group ride took place, and try to learn the terrain a bit better.
It certainly seemed to flow better last week, when we were following the riders that had very good knowledge of the routes.
I bottled it at the edge of one very steep drop, as did the lad that I was with. I rode it last week, but I right behind another rider, and just thought what the heck. I'm not into letting things beat me, especially if I have already done them once, so just went back and did it again.
At only 13.5 miles long with 1,103 ft of elevation gain, it wasn't the most exciting of rides, but at least it was superb evening to be out on the bike.

Just the two photos from this evening.

And the view that my cycling mate is stood looking at, along with a little dot of a hot air balloon.

Hopefully the hardtail will be back together again either tomorrow evening or Friday evening, in readiness for a Sunday trip to either the South Downs or possibly the Surrey Hills.

The Rockshox Reverb Stealth seat post failed after just approx 50 miles of use. On the plus side, it was a 2015 version that I bought cheaply in a sale, and SRAM have already had it back and given me the new 2016 version as a replacement. Can't say fairer than that. :)

Both bikes.

Last edited:

baldylox

Pedelecer
May 25, 2012
Hants/Wilts border
I hope I am able to post here having a (fully legal Oxydrive powered) eMTB?
Anyhow, an image from my recent ride along the (still very muddy) ox droves and mostly single track byways, see; mud!
Also have a drop post but a (cheap) RSP springer which although not as smooth as the reverb, is pretty much bullet proof.

As we are being blessed with good weather at the moment, I'm off out again (in 5 minutes), taking lights tonight as I may be late!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
I hope not to see any more mud until at least November. This has been a particularly long and muddy winter.

I collected the new 2016 Reverb after work today, and have fitted it already. Interestingly it already feels better than both of the 2015 versions.
It certainly smoother, possibly faster, and both of the other ones require very careful tightening of the seat post clamp to prevent the action from sticking. Thankfully it doesn't appear to be a concern with this new.

I thought about going out this evening, but I'll save it for tomorrow evening, and then Sunday. :)

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I hope I am able to post here having a (fully legal Oxydrive powered) eMTB?
Anyhow, an image from my recent ride along the (still very muddy) ox droves and mostly single track byways, see; mud!
Also have a drop post but a (cheap) RSP springer which although not as smooth as the reverb, is pretty much bullet proof.

As we are being blessed with good weather at the moment, I'm off out again (in 5 minutes), taking lights tonight as I may be late!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Enjoy.

Mar 9, 2016
Had a great ride today along Cloud Trail. It forms part of Route 6 cyling path, believe it runs from Leicester to Derby.

Certainly not a typical mtb route but great scenery none the less. Runs along ( I think) Mersey / Derby Canal and River Trent for a while.
Started near Breedon on Hill .A gorgeous village near Castle Donington with church sat high on cliff overlooking all region. If you have flown into East Midlands you,ll have seen Church. I think trail gets its name after Cloud Quarry in Breedon.
Anyhow parked at Wilson and peddled towards Derby. Really struggled getting past first pub and succumbed at second..
21 miles , very easy.Only used 32% in eco..(Best range I,ve had . .in theory 65 miles??)
Preferred this trail to either Tissington or Monsal...much quieter, varied scenery.. Canal, River and plenty of pubs.WP_20160505_003.jpg WP_20160505_006.jpg WP_20160505_005.jpg WP_20160505_001.jpg

For much of ride could hear track day at Donington...rather be hear...

Last edited:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
call in sick ;)

• :D
Reactions: cyberdyne_systems
Mar 9, 2016
Ahwell somebody has to keep country on its feet...
I,m back to Lady B tomorrow. Bought a Thule 3 bike tow bar rack, just fitted it. Want to try it out...and find some more tracks..
East Yorkshire weekend...There,s a path from Bridlington to Scarboro via Filey I want to do...

Reactions: EddiePJ

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
not if you want to sign on you cant lol.

stumpy150

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 9, 2015
Yorkshire
Ahwell somebody has to keep country on its feet...
I,m back to Lady B tomorrow. Bought a Thule 3 bike tow bar rack, just fitted it. Want to try it out...and find some more tracks..
East Yorkshire weekend...There,s a path from Bridlington to Scarboro via Filey I want to do...
There is an old railway track which runs from Whitby to Scarborough via robin hoods bay and Ravenscar called The Old Cinder Track -I can recommend it for great sea views and cafes en route.

I have the 2 Bike Thule Velo compact and very pleased but watch the clearances between the bikes - my MTB and wife's road bike knock together if the securing arms are not set correctly

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
With the weather being so great, it seemed daft not to pop out and check that all was well and good with the new dropper post and re-installation of the motor.
Again not a particularly long ride at just of 12 miles. The elevation gain was 1,381ft

The view looking back towards my house, and as you can see, I don't have far to go before being able to ride off road. The tower next to the red arrow that marks my house, is the highest point in East Sussex.

As some of you will recall, I often say how abrasive that the soil conditions are where I live and ride. Now that things are dry, you can see what I mean. Talcum powder fine grinding paste. Sadly very harsh conditions for the bike components, either wet or dry.

A good evening to be out.

Pooh bridge.

Last edited:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
ok i removed them but lets make this crystal clear then per forum rules.

Derestriction, ‘off-road’ switches or modes and dongles

The Department of Transport say that electric bikes fitted with off-road switches or modes, that enable a bike’s motor to continue assisting to speeds beyond 15.5mph, do not comply with UK EAPC law. The term ‘off-road’ suggests that these bikes can be ridden on parkland, forests or other places away from main roads, which isn’t accurate. E-bikes with increased motor power (above 250w) or increased speed (with motor assistance not cutting out at 15.5mph) cannot be used legally as bicycles anywhere on land accessible by the public; when riding on private land you would need permission from the landowner.

so that means any bike with a bafang motor or china copy or hub motor is not allowed to post pics as above rules.

fitted with off-road switches or modes.
or increased speed (with motor assistance not cutting out at 15.5mph)

so if you have the password,ect to change the speed settings for your bikes controller its not permitted to post pics of it in here.

if some one hacks the Bosch software in the future then they also will not be permitted to post pics in here as will become public for everybody to use as above kits from china that you can change the speed settings via software hack or have the password to do so.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
if you can change the settings thus lift the 15.5mph limit motor power is not the problem it could be 5000w or 250w but if you can change that via the controller its over the speed limit.

as above if you are able to remove this limit from the bikes motor/controller you cant post pics here.

or is that not the law ?

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
if you can change the settings thus lift the 15.5mph limit motor power is not the problem it could be 5000w or 250w but if you can change that via the controller its over the speed limit.

as above if you are able to remove this limit from the bikes motor/controller you cant post pics here.

or is that not the law ?
This is about the controller, nothing to do with the motor type.

I'm not generally a grammar Nazi, but the occasional comma, full stop or capital letter would make it easier for the rest of us to understand your posts.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
There is an old railway track which runs from Whitby to Scarborough via robin hoods bay and Ravenscar called The Old Cinder Track -I can recommend it for great sea views and cafes en route.

I have the 2 Bike Thule Velo compact and very pleased but watch the clearances between the bikes - my MTB and wife's road bike knock together if the securing arms are not set correctly
I did the Whitby to Scarborough track last year.

Parts of it were badly rutted, I was pushing at one point.

The guy in the hire place outside Whitby - he does pushbikes and Haibike eMTBs - said the path gets worse each year.

It's still fine for a confident rider on an MTB, but not so clever for a less confident rider on a hybrid or narrow tyred bike.

Related Articles

Advertisers