eMTB owners photo and ride thread.

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
Blimey, I know the route you've mentioned and as you say it's pretty extreme for a non MTB.
I think this is the steep decent from Old Harry that you mention.
View attachment 20066
I think that is it. I seem to remember it got steeper towards the bottom and then we climbed a steep track back up onto to downs before descending again into Corfe.

I now have a Haibike sDuro Yamaha that would have been a lot more suitable but the Oxygen lives on and gets a lot of use still, but mainly shopping trips now.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Another couple of rides. The first a climb to the top of the Männlichen yesterday evening. I came close to turning back, as cloud came down, and I couldn't see the edge of mountain. 9.6 miles with an elevation gain of 5,275ft

https://www.strava.com/activities/1080432551/shareable_images/map_based?hl=en-US&v=1499891382

Next up, a mixed ride today on the superb KTM Ultra 1964. 53.8 miles with 6,299ft of elevation gain.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1081434069/shareable_images/map_based?hl=en-US&v=1499953694

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Not in Eddie's league but managed 5164ft elevation gain today over 57 odd miles, my scenery wasn't as splendiferous as the alps.

Reactions: Steve A and EddiePJ

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Another couple of rides. The first a climb to the top of the Männlichen yesterday evening. I came close to turning back, as cloud came down, and I couldn't see the edge of mountain. 9.6 miles with an elevation gain of 5,275ft

https://www.strava.com/activities/1080432551/shareable_images/map_based?hl=en-US&v=1499891382

Next up, a mixed ride today on the superb KTM Ultra 1964. 53.8 miles with 6,299ft of elevation gain.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1081434069/shareable_images/map_based?hl=en-US&v=1499953694
I see Strava gives a maximum incline of 145% - did you do a few back flips on the way up?

Which is nothing compared to the steepest decline of 500%+, at which point you were presumably upside down.

Reactions: EddiePJ

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Time to start to piece together a few of the rides from the recent trip to the Swiss Alps.

This particular ride which was a climb of 10.2 miles (16.41km) with an elevation gain of 6,354ft (1,936m) started in the Lauterbrunnen valley, and finished at the cable car station of Birg.

The intention had originally been to continue past Birg, and try to make it all the way to the top of the Schilthorn. I was quite apprehensive about tackling this particular climb, as I completed it last year, and found it very daunting and tough. The first half of the climb is okay, and just takes in a compacted road stone surface and relatively easy rock gardens. From the mid-point, the riding conditions and gradient of ascent change dramatically and according to the recorded stats, vary from 30% up to 48%. The biggest issue last year was the altitude. With a final elevation that is 8,064ft (2,458m) higher than my home town in the UK, I became very out of breath, and struggled badly because of this. Last year when I tackled the climb, I had no idea of what to expect, and came close to quitting the attempt several times. It was only encouragement from passing hikers that spurred me on to complete it, and I received a cheer when I reached the cable car station. This year, knowing what lay ahead, I felt beaten before I had even begun. Not a good place to be in your head.

The climb to the mid-way point was uneventful and fairly easy, but when faced with the first major climb which was loose stone, I came very very close to turning the bike around. As I had started out on the ride fairly early in the day, there were no hikers about, so at least that was one less pressure to deal with for the first climb. The route is a series of zigzags, and last year I just about made it to the top of the first stage of the climb which was probably about 164ft (50m) long. Things didn’t go well this time around, and I lost traction about three quarters of the way up, and ground swiftly to a halt. At approaching a gradient of 30%, I had no choice but to either push the bike or go back down to a ditch that had been dug to act as drain, and start from there. I choose to go back down, and somehow managed to claw my way back up again.

At the first corner and grateful breathing space, I was once again contemplating turning back. After catching my breath, gave myself a kick up the backside, and decided there and then that quitting was not going to be an option.

With the change in mental attitude, the next few sections of the climb went surprisingly well, and I became very positive. Last year I had to stop at every single bend to regain energy and breath, but this time around, I was managing to skip about every second stooping point, deciding to dig deep for energy.

Then my nemesis came into sight. Two concrete strips cast into the mountain at an indicated 47% gradient. I don’t know about 47%, they looked near vertical as I approached them. They are also covered in pea size stone, that has washed or rolled onto them, and trying to climb the 262ft (80m) long strips is I suspect nearly impossible to do. I say nearly, as I don’t like being defeated, and will make this climb one day. As you can already guess, that wasn’t the case this time though, but I gave it a good shot. Loss of traction, inadequate gearing and front end of the bike that was trying to loop backwards, all conspired against me. I was left with no option, but to sort of fall sideways from the bike, pick the back wheel off the ground, change down through the cassette to a high gear, and use walk mode. It is highly frustrating that walk mode is completely useless, unless a high ration gear is selected. Selecting first gear, the bike wouldn’t even move forward.

With this section of the climb out of the way, I remembered that the rest, whilst very technical, wouldn’t present any issues. How wrong I was! It hadn’t occurred to me that this is an ever-changing environment, and what was passable last year, had now turned into a path of loose sliding rock. Momentum was key to keep moving forwards, and once again luck wasn’t on my side, and I was forced to stop, when I met two groups of hikers. Once again, and after they had passed, I was left struggling to get started again, and once again walk mode had to be used for about 10ft (3m)

After this, the latter stages of the climb went fairly well, but the route that I choose last year, was no longer even there, and I was sort of forced to make the rock climb up as went, trying to look way ahead to pick a clean line through.

I decided when I reached the last climb that lead towards Birg, that I had the energy to continue along towards the Schilthorn. Within minutes I decided to turn back and just head up to Birg, as I could see many hikers, and as wasn’t overly sure which pathway to take. I was meeting my wife and daughter at Birg anyway, and the original plan had been to take the cable car up to the top of the Schilthorn, which would then also give me the chance to view the climb from above.

I reached Birg to yet another cheering and complimentary group of tourists, that then proceeded to take photos of me, and fire an endless amount of questions at about the climb and the bike. Of course, I was quick to point out that I’d never have attempted to the climb on anything other than a KTM.

After locking the bike up, and catching the cable car up to the Schilthorn, I quickly crossed any chance of tackling the rest of the climb off my list, as there were just too many hikers on the trails. Given that the whole route was a hiking trail, I wasn’t about to go upsetting any hikers by trying to force my way past. As an old friend* once said to me, “the mountains will always be there waiting for me” so I shall just add the final stage of the climb to either an early morning, or late even attempt when no one is around.

One last point... Just as last year, the altitude took it's toll on my climbing abililty, but after completing other rides, I know that it takes me approx ten days to become accustomed the altitude, and the difference in respect of fitness is measurably improved.

https://www.relive.cc/view/1086419096

* For those that know me through TRC, it was Single Speed Pete that gave the wise words of wisdom, and whilst he may not be with us any more, I still think of him when I am riding in the Alps.

Approaching the start of the climbing 'proper' with the destination cable car station in sight.

The start of the first tough climb, begins at the wooden hut.

The two concrete strips of dread! Photos just don't do the steepness of this any justice at all.

Next challenge, which again the photo does no justice to the slopes true steepness. Frustratingly traction was lost when I reached the hiker. The surface was very loose, and surprisingly difficult to ride.

Something easier.

Back to technical fun again.

Nearly there.

Final destination.

Last edited:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
no video lol id ride up that but in the cable car :p

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
For all I know, I might be the only person to have ever ridden up this. :D
I was just being too tight to pay.:D

There are certainly two other people who have recorded and posted clips of riding down though, but both took the cable car up. I guess that there must be many more as well.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
id have to have a slow test run first and dump my splat hat id be going 60mph easy on some of that and not up to it thus other thread ;)

how long is the decent ?as i cant see how you never toasted ur brake pads with the extra waight on a ebike non stop.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Fabtastic Eddie and the pics.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
SW, I took a slightly different route down from the route up, and by memory, it was about 11 miles of almost continuous down hill riding.
And yep, the brake pads were well and truly worn out by the end of the holiday, and my new brake discs sadly don't look new anymore. :(

What did fascinate me, is that the black plastic on Shimano vented pads, goes pale brown through heat discolouration.

Reactions: soundwave

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
it is why i went bigger front and back as could not cope with the heat and thus eats the brake pads and warps the disc rotors with constant use. what i have now is about the best i can do but have 4 piston brake calipers and hope 2 part rotors so they dont look like they have been bbq them in the fire and melt the brake pads as a result.;)DSC_0663_03.JPG
DSC_0664_03.JPG

Last edited:

Fish2

Pedelecer
Mar 7, 2017
The sunny side of the Alps
It is highly frustrating that walk mode is completely useless, unless a high ration gear is selected. Selecting first gear, the bike wouldn’t even move forward.
I must say I have a completely different experience with WALK assist. And I use it A LOT. I usually climb local hill tops, that only have foot paths, so I need to push the bike very often.

In 1st gear the bike is almost too fast for me if I am a bit tired already. One thing is annoying though. If traction is not good, the assist tends to cut out, and than start again, so I lean on the seat a bit, for better traction and some help to me. :) It works great!

Related Articles

Advertisers