eMTB owners photo and ride thread.

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
After the Rain!

My two off road rides to work on Sunday the 22nd of March and Monday the 23rd of March 2020 were in sunshine in contrast to my four rides on the 9th to 12th of March, so I took a few pictures and have ordered them from the start of my off road route to the end.
Ride to Work End Year 5 010.JPG
Field boundary track after Eashing Farm Bridge that takes me over the A3
Ride to Work End Year 5 011.JPG
View from track towards Shackleford
Ride to Work End Year 5 003.JPG
Cutmill Pond
Ride to Work End Year 5 004.JPG
Forrest track Lower Puttenham Common
Ride to Work End Year 5 013.JPG
Track across Broomfields with brown cows in the distance
Ride to Work End Year 5 014.JPG
Close up view of the cows as I exit the track across Broomfields
Ride to Work End Year 5 015.JPG
Beautiful Crooksbury Common
Ride to Work End Year 5 005.JPG
More spectacular views from my traverse across Crooksbury Common
Ride to Work End Year 5 019.JPG
Another lovely spot on my route, High Mill Pond on The River Wey
Ride to Work End Year 5 020.JPG
Nearly there and a tree down to overcome on The North Downs Way near Farnham Railway Station.

One thing that will not stop me is the worrying Coronavirus pandemic. My new job (I always think of it as my new job, even though I have now been doing it for over 10 years) is classified as a key worker role so my beautiful cross country ride to work is now officially sanctioned by the government!

Reactions: Nev

Dom T

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 17, 2017
Shropshire
How wonderful georgehenry. I too an utilising my bike to get to work, but no where near as good as your ride. I think I'd go nutts if I couldn't do so, so much so I've been for a couple of night rides too.
Not being able to ride any mountain bike trails is gonna be a tough on.
How are you all ?
Covid 19 certainly messing us about some.
Frontline for me and hubs not relishing it at the moment and also had to self isolated for the week before as both me and hubs had some symptoms.
It's going to be a very rough ride, SARS and swine flu were pants, but not so long lived and done with quite quick.
Just hope we get the protective equipment we so very much need. The government has actually just changed the rules so our protection has gone from wow to wtf !!! We've gone from long sleeved gowns, face visors, gloves and full protective on masks to plastic apron gloves and pathetic goggles. It's mortifying as we now feel unprotected. We are well aware that ITU need it most, but we are also very aware that because there's not enough to go round we've had our protection down graded. Your healthcare assistants, nurses, doctors will work hard, but you'll loose staff left right and centre one way or another, hope there'e no deaths.
Hence it's more important now for me to be able to get out for some exercise.
However, please heed the rules, be good and behave.

On another note we've had to cancel our trip to them lovely Cairngorms in April :( until further notice, but it's on hold for now and we have a year to re book somewhere. What we will now be doing is making a new ,bigger, bike shed for the bottom of my very small garden :) and I will try and make sure I put up pics of our efforts.

Reactions: BootsDave and D C

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
Hi Dom T,
Me and my two children are as far as we can tell well. Although they are both young adults they live at home with me and are really very dependent still, as a lot of young adult children are nowadays. We do all get on very well and all muck in with household chores.
I have been off for four days since last working on Monday.
When I last worked I saw some real fear from some people.
It worries me that you do not have the right protective gear. Somebody should n
be moving heaven and earth to sort that out.
I do not think any health system in the world is designed to cope with the influx of seriously ill people that might result from this virus.
After taking those pictures and having some time to upload them I thought they might cheer up those who viewed them. I know I am lucky with the off road route I can take to work, and really enjoy riding my bike in the fresh air.
I have seen many emails in my inbox in respect of my workplace and ways they are trying to make it safer for me to do my job. Fingers crossed.
I return to work on Saturday for a late shift.
I and a mate had planned an adventure holiday riding off road motorbikes in Vietnam flying out in April but that has of course been taken out by the pandemic turn of events.
We had only paid for our plane tickets and not the actual holiday. The flights have now been cancelled that should mean we are refunded but I think it could be a long drawn out process rather than a straight forward one.
Any way take care Dom T and keep yourself as safe as you can.

Reactions: Dom T

Dom T

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 17, 2017
Shropshire
I've found a route that I've not met anyone one on as yet except for some road traffic on a big road I have to cross.
I didn't meet a soul until the roads and then stuck to the roads on them sections.
I will cease to do it if we go to total lock down and exercise is not allowed (my roller trainer is at the ready).
Last night was fantastic and if any of you clapped believe you me we healthcare workers were very appreciative, I'm not a crying person but it reduced me to tears.....thank you for supporting us NHS workers, we will be there for you all no matter what.
IMG_20200326_213614_2 - Edited (1).jpgIMG_20200327_115106 - Edited.jpgIMG_20200327_120458 - Edited.jpg

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Very nice. We aren't that lucky, but still have some excellent very quite roads and paths to use.

I am ashamed to say we didn't clap. We forgot ... what a feeble excuse but sadly true.

Dom T

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 17, 2017
Shropshire
Thank you...... it's a great route as I very rarely see people on it.
There are always other routes from it too to keep to myself.

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
Well I have just done five days at work, and if I have managed not to catch this dratted virus I am now not back at work until the 16th of April.

I say five days work but for the first two of them I was on call at home and did not get called in. I was of course poised and ready like a coiled spring.

The remaining three were late shifts and enabled me to enjoy my cross country route to work and road ride home. 12 miles cross country and 10 miles home on the road, so 66 miles in all away from the lock down in the fresh air.

Dom T

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 17, 2017
Shropshire
Well guys I've been naughty, that'll teach us to have a lock down... Hubs will be able to utilise the haibike for spare battery and motor as well as lots of other bits. I'll salvage my reverb and Zee's and put them on my new commute/mess about/longer ride hard tail. I'll be able to use a bottle cage and probably some panniers as well....plus the upside is another shimano battery and motor to go with the Spectral-On
My new one coming...and then my real baby...181718 - Edited.jpg
IMG_20190205_112022 - Edited.jpg

Last edited:

Deere John

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2015
EU
Local trails explore today again!

Can you see the trail? IMG_20200406_181235.jpg

...no, I thought so. Me neither! :)

Well, got back and took the route along this electric transformer station. I think they could share some, scrimp bastards, put up a quick charger station here :)

IMG_20200406_184904.jpg

Reactions: georgehenry

Charliefox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2015
Culloden Moor Inverness
Certainly, an interesting and painful week. Stupidly, I took yet another heavy fall over the handlebars during a night ride on Thursday, and have definitely learnt that I don’t bounce as easily as I did when I was younger! It wasn't helped by one of the clips not releasing on the pedal. Sadly the fall didn’t do my Magicshine light a lot of good either!

I didn’t drag the bike out until today, and as the first three photos show, it doesn’t pay to leave a bike wet and dirty.

The rest of the photos are from an afternoon ride today, on Ashdown Forest.

Painful to be back in the saddle, but it seemed a shame not to make the most of the lovely weather.

View attachment 33992

View attachment 33993

View attachment 33994

View attachment 33995

View attachment 33996

View attachment 33997

View attachment 33998
That must have been a good test for Bosch seals!!!

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
Lockdown Ride, Surrey Hills, Ridges and views around "Hascombe" 16 miles
Hascombe Lockdown ride 12 04 20 003.JPG
Climbing out of the valley
Hascombe Lockdown ride 12 04 20 006.JPG
Bluebells in the wood.
Hascombe Lockdown ride 12 04 20 011.JPG
Field with a view
Hascombe Lockdown ride 12 04 20 007.JPG
View looking in the other direction towards the village (Other side of ridge) from the picture above this one. Good views in both directions.
Hascombe Lockdown ride 12 04 20 013.JPG
View from another ridge path into the next valley along (Picture 6)
Hascombe Lockdown ride 12 04 20 015.JPG
Looking back up the ridge through mature beech trees.
Hascombe Lockdown ride 12 04 20 019.JPG
View from the top of Hascombe Hill, site of an Iron Age Hill Fort. If you enlarge the picture you can see large airplanes at Dunsfold Aerodrome where they used to make Top Gear.
Hascombe Lockdown ride 12 04 20 020.JPG
Coming full circle descending of Hascombe Hill.
Hascombe Lockdown ride 12 04 20 024.JPG
Last look back into the valley shown in picture 6 above, from the ridge seen on the other side of the field in that picture, then back home.

As you know my bike is a workhorse used to take me to work and back, so this is a bit of a novelty, just riding for the exercise during the lockdown.

Hascombe is a lovely Surrey Village with spectacular ridge paths and great views within easy reach of my house. 16 miles in total for the ride. 40% battery used. In places quite steep and technical with many roots to enjoy. The whole area gets very muddy in the Winter.

Last edited:

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
Another Lockdown Ride.
The exercise ride above was done on Sunday and today I thought I would do another one. This one was 22 miles, mostly off road, and my knees and back are letting me know after being bounced around a lot, perhaps full suspension beckons. I used 41% of my battery by the time I got home. Total potential range on my original 400Wh battery now in its 6th year, 53.6 miles. Meaningless as most of us know as it depends on so many factors.
lockdown ride 14 04 20 002.JPG
Mill Pond Bramley
lockdown ride 14 04 20 003.JPG
A nice view from a long track
lockdown ride 14 04 20 004.JPG
Views towards Blackheath and The North Downs over Hirst Hill Farm
lockdown ride 14 04 20 005.JPG
Garden retaining wall before Gates street Farm. I do like an old wall.

I Might have to do my back exercises before bed tonight! Probably spent too much time on my sofa in the lockdown.

If I haven't done myself too much of a mischief I could ride one of my electric bikes to work on Thursday.

I have learnt on these exercise rides where I have chosen some demanding tracks on purpose that if I continue to use this bike purely for leisure after it has finished its commuting duties when I retire in about a years time I would probably make a few changes.

The main ones being a better front fork with more travel, lower gearing for steep technical climbs, perhaps even a dual front chain ring set up that can be done on this bike, a dropper post, and good off road tyres front and rear. Or I could just spoil myself with a new bike. Or both of course.

Being a skinflint I could just get the entry level full suspension Yamaha Haibike and have the benefit of two batteries that would be interchangeable between the bikes.

Last edited:

Dom T

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 17, 2017
Shropshire
Well there's nowt better than a new bike day, just a pedal to go and some bolt checks, as well as battery charge....it will go out for it's first exercise tomorrow hopefully :D
IMG_20200417_121214.jpgIMG_20200417_121224.jpgIMG_20200417_121259.jpgIMG_20200417_121316.jpgIMG_20200417_110857.jpg

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
I had mine last week, OnBike did all the checks all I had to do is go riding. 34806

Reactions: Nev and georgehenry

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
What a difference a day makes, sunny and warm yesterday, rainy and cold today.
Glad I did another one of my sporadic Lockdown Exercise Rides Yesterday.
Lockdown Wntershall 061.JPG
I planned my route so I could do a small trespass to get up close and personal with a Nic Fiddian-Green Horse Head sculpture. There are a number on the land of the Wintershall Estate visible from the countryside close to where I live.
Marble Arch 3.jpg
He has another installation located at Marble Arch in London called Still Water.

I guess if I did more of them I would get more used to riding my electric bike for leisure rides but at the moment rather than range anxiety I end up getting closer to home with a battery that is too full and have to up the assist and pedal gently to reduce the battery to a level I am more happy to store it at.

Lockdown Wntershall 057.JPG

I rode just 12 miles yesterday, but with quite a few challenging single track hills to climb, but still had to up the assist to get the battery level just under 70%.

Shurm

Pedelecer
Jun 21, 2018
Had a great ride the other day, that's where I came from (Accrington)

1C027D8F-03ED-4241-843E-04DBDB0272F2.jpeg

and over that hill (Great Hambledon) I'm going !!
BE571FBE-05D6-4C14-8641-17BC890E8A4F.jpeg

After that its up another hill (Hambledon) and looking back

D109B379-9419-4D1C-B568-16DC3A3EB14A.jpeg

Then its a downhill to a reservoir (Clow Bridge)

A0863DF8-7C55-45F4-A0C5-318D5CCC0C94.jpeg

Cycled round that and looked back at the reservoir and Hambledon before heading home.

575FD3D4-61F1-425A-9FDF-74CE67A4B683.jpeg

Not bad for me considering I'm not that fit these bikes really do help you get out and about

Dom T

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 17, 2017
Shropshire
I'm liking the new bike, much fun and exceptionally quiet. It's the E7000 shimano motor, less torque, but somehow more responsive.
Went out together the other day for our exercise, then he broke off and went home I continued for another few miles.
Shrum, what bike have you got ?
Here's my day infact I've been out on my bike everyday bar form last thursday since I got it.
Oh and new pedals too more bling to come.IMG_20200425_095313.jpg
IMG_20200425_120642.jpgIMG_20200425_120636.jpgIMG_20200425_113822.jpgIMG_20200425_110626.jpg

Attachments

Reactions: georgehenry and Nev

Dom T

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 17, 2017
Shropshire
They are designed to do so, are they not :) ?
My other full sus is this one but currently not seeing much MTB action. That see's most of the abuse and I make no excuse for the pink bits :)
IMG_20190205_112022 - Edited.jpg

Reactions: Nev and Shurm

Related Articles

Advertisers