EU ICE ban postponed indefinetly.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Couple of these in boot??

"The 4kWh unit weighs around 25kg. "

"somewhere between £1,000 and £2,000 all-in. "

They're going to sell a lot of those. One carried my Carry Freedom bike trailer, could make for a 249 mile ride (on my particular bike).

Reactions: Zlatan

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Doing an electric motor conversation is a hobbyist / enthusiast thing, and utterly non economic to do..Like making a hovercraft...
With the state of our education system, I fear there will be fewer people willing to try.

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
As an alternative, is Germany preparing to champion and profit from synthetic fuels?
Porsche already have a factory in Brazil making the stuff.. Ready to up production if needed.
Do think they have a point though. The current (proposed) legislation effectively kills off any ICE. We don't know the technology that might arise. On the other hand seems a shame to have a factory harnessing CO2 and then allowing rich folk to put it back in atmosphere.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
There is room for approx 5,000 cars on site at East Midlands,with satellite parking scattered around trebling this figure? They don't have any on site chargers. Nearest is at Marriot Hotel. A single 22kw.??
It's ridiculous to say we have planned and invested for the changeover.
Nonsense, your pro-ICE bias makes you very slow to learn.

So once again, try looking at the facts:

1) 5000 spaces isn't necessarily 5000 cars.

2) Only 2% of our cars are pure battery e-cars.

3) People use East Midlands airport because it is their local airport.

4) 85% of e-car owners have a home charger so they leave home with a full "tank".

5) The very few who drive a longer distance there will pass numerous rapid chargers on the way. Remember the huge number Sheffield-Doncaster-Hull-Bridlington that I showed you!

6) Both rapid and local chargers are being installed around the country at a far faster rate than e-cars are being made and supplied. Most are standing idle over 90% of the time while they wait for the e-car population to catch up.

7) There will always be dumbos among e-car owners who don't plan their journeys so run out, just as there have always be dumbos who run out of ICE fuel on the road. But no problem, since the rescue people like the AA and RAC carry fast chargers as well as cans of spare fuel.

Now if you can get all that into your head and consider it all simultaneously then, you'll see that there isn't a huge problem. In fact for almost all e-car owners there is no problem at all.

It's ICE drivers who have a problem with e-car charging, which of necessity exists only in their minds.

Last edited:
  • :D

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
EU very quiet..??
As I've posted before, the bans on ICE cars is not an EU matter, it is a decision for individual countries.

Though many countries have made the move to ban the sale of new petrol and diesel vehicles by 2040, Germany is one of the few nations that has chosen to leave the decision to individual cities and federal states for the time being. Meanwhile Petrol and diesel vehicles will no longer be able to enter Berlin's S-Bahn Ring.

Out of the 27 EU countries and the half-in, half-out UK, only 6 are opposing the EU ban on ICE sales.

Surprise, surprise, they are all heavily dependent on making ICE cars, though often for export.

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
As I've posted before, the bans on ICE cars is not an EU matter, it is a decision for individual countries.

Though many countries have made the move to ban the sale of new petrol and diesel vehicles by 2040, Germany is one of the few nations that has chosen to leave the decision to individual cities and federal states for the time being. Meanwhile Petrol and diesel vehicles will no longer be able to enter Berlin's S-Bahn Ring.

Out of the 27 EU countries and the half-in, half-out UK, only 6 are opposing the EU ban on ICE sales.

Surprise, surprise, they are all heavily dependent on making ICE cars, though often for export.
You, ve got a flap on today Flecc, has your freezer switched off during night or something. . Calm down dear, its no good for blood pressure.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
its no good for blood pressure.
Wish it was, it's just crashed very low several minutes ago. thanks to my dud heart valve not closing. I don't know how low, but after I'd recovered enough to check it on the monitor it was 71/43. Not my worst though, that was 57/46 and I've had a few zeros.

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
Wish it was, it's just crashed very low several minutes ago. thanks to my dud heart valve not closing. I don't know how low, but after I'd recovered enough to check it on the monitor it was 71/43. Not my worst though, that was 57/46 and I've had a few zeros.
Take care.. My AF returned a few days ago, spanner in works for getting fitter.. Think I, ll buy a Boxster to commiserate.. My fitness tracker aged me 12 years in 3 days and now thinks I never sleep.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Take care.. My AF returned a few days ago, spanner in works for getting fitter.. Think I, ll buy a Boxster to commiserate.. My fitness tracker aged me 12 years in 3 days and now thinks I never sleep.
Sorry to learn that, hopefully a new Boxter will help, but best be quick.

After years of teasing us, prospects for a new electric Boxter don't look good:

R & D boss Dr Michael Steiner said in March 2020: ‘We are running several electrified Boxsters to gain expertise and knowledge to see how an electric car performs as a two-door. But now he says "The additional weight for a sports car, we are not satisfied with today. This is one of the reasons why our next electric car will be a small SUV, not a two-door sports car."

Somehow I can't see a small SUV being an adequate substitute for a Boxter. What a weird world, all the e-car makers changing to SUVs.

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016

R & D boss Dr Michael Steiner said in March 2020: ‘We are running several electrified Boxsters to gain expertise and knowledge to see how an electric car performs as a two-door. But now he says "The additional weight for a sports car, we are not satisfied with today. This is one of the reasons why our next electric car will be a small SUV, not a two-door sports car."

Somehow I can't see a small SUV being an adequate substitute for a Boxter. What a weird world, all the e-car makers changing to SUVs.
Thanks.
Won't be a new one... Any with Tiptronic or DSG (PDk in Porsche words). Think a 2.7...
They all drive nice...

Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Thanks.
Won't be a new one... Any with Tiptronic or DSG (PDk in Porsche words). Think a 2.7...
They all drive nice...
You'd like shopping at my posh location Sainsburys superstore, always a selection of Porsches in the car park.

Saw a first there yesterday, a new black Tesla model X. Model S and even model 3 are commonplace here, but I'd never seen an X in the flesh.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

£445000 :(

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The latest IPCC report completely scuppers Germany's argument against the EU date ban on new ICE cars.

The urgency of our worsening situation means ICE need to be withdrawn even more rapidly. The worse the situation gets, the sooner we will see increasingly severe compulsory scrappage measures for ICE cars.

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
The latest IPCC report completely scuppers Germany's argument against the EU date ban on new ICE cars.

The urgency of our worsening situation means ICE need to be withdrawn even more rapidly. The worse the situation gets, the sooner we will see increasingly severe compulsory scrappage measures for ICE cars.
Quite. I can completely see the cackling conservative twats (or their offshoots in new labour) making the painful right decisions on climate
Like cancelling subsidies for onshore wind, solar feed in, etc etc.
Not really. I look forward to buying a 4.6l v8 defender to enjoy in the tropical malarial swamps of Oxfordshire and Kent (while taking pot shots at brexit natives) in ten years or so

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Quite. I can completely see the cackling conservative twats (or their offshoots in new labour) making the painful right decisions on climate
Like cancelling subsidies for onshore wind, solar feed in, etc etc.
Not really. I look forward to buying a 4.6l v8 defender to enjoy in the tropical malarial swamps of Oxfordshire and Kent (while taking pot shots at brexit natives) in ten years or so

Reactions: jonathan.agnew

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I look forward to buying a 4.6l v8 defender to enjoy in the tropical malarial swamps of Oxfordshire and Kent (while taking pot shots at brexit natives) in ten years or so
You'll be ok in ten years time, but the further we get towards crisis, the harsher the measures will become.

Compulsory scrappage of higher emission and large engined IC cars will be the least of them. Later I see see such things as having to show a need for an IC car to have permission to own a second hand one. Concluding with all IC cars being taken off the roads and even eventually having to show a need to own an e-car.

Big Brother is closer than many might suspect.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland

I think SuVs are the way to go ... Especially if driven slow ...the upright stance for the driver is a godsend..even the Leaf is halfway there.

• Agree

Advertisers