Aug 17, 2006

Reviewer: Redalpha3

Purchased From: 50Cycles

Purchase Price: £1,000 Approx

Time Owned: 1 Month

Local Terrain: Moderate Hills

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Strengths:
Excellent seating position (sit up and beg) Strong and sturdy aluminium. A reasonable all-round equipment standard. Well cushioned ride with front suspension forks and seat suspension. Tackles steep hills well and has a reasonable battery range of about 22 miles or so. will keep to a steady 15mph on the flat. Full charge in around the 4 hour mark.

Weaknesses:
Nothing obvious yet. A little concerned about placing the electrical connections under the bottom bracket but the electrical system has proven reliable so far.

Summary:
I need a reliable bike which can tackle hills and has good suspension. This bike does that for me with room to spare. Used as a leisure cycle it flattens the terrain and allows me to transport myself along old railway tracks and country roads with a minimum of effort. The first electrical bike I've had that I can use as serious transport.

Overall Rating (out of 10) : 8

rsscott

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 17, 2006
Reviewer: Stuart Stephenson

Purchased From: 50 Cycles

Purchase Price: £900

Time Owned: 14 Months

Local Terrain: Moderate Hills

Strengths:
Great all rounder capable of high mileage on one charge with assistance from rider. Excellent hub gear change, the seat will spoil you - it really is comfortable. Totally reliable in the time I have owned it.

Weaknesses:
High pressure required to work rear brake. Hub's suspension stem suffers from friction and wears badly, bike stand too narrow. Bike blows over
replaced it with one with wider stubs on the legs from Halfords. Dynamo does not like to work in wet weather, the paint has also worn off the inside of the rear mudguard through going down muddy cycle tracks.

Summary:
One of its biggest plus points is the 36v battery. I have tried both lithium and metal hydride the m/hydride suits it fine see no advantage on this bike with lithium batteries.

Overall Rating (out of 10) : 8

rsscott

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 17, 2006
Reviewer: Mick Angel

Purchased From: 50 Cycles

Purchase Price: £895

Time Owned: 1 Month

Local Terrain: Flat

Strengths:
* Easy to ride
* Nice power from motor
* Good range
* Nice spread of gears
* Good suspension on the front for road use
* Good tyres for everyday road use
* Range seems good (have not been able to exhaust the battery yet)
* Good positive gearchange
* The motor is powerful enough that I have not had to pedal unless I wanted to. The motor will pull you up almost anything

Weaknesses:
* Lack of battery handle is a pain
* The metal flange holding the dynamo onto the front fork is soft and too prone to bending
* Chunky frame not to everyone's taste
* Could do with slightly faster assisted speed, the cut-out seems to happen too quickly :)
* Charger fan a little noisy

Summary:
A good all-round powered city bike. Well-built for the price and sturdy enough.

The gearing and choice of pedal-only, pedal-assist or throttle-only makes it very versatile and will suit whatever mood you're in at the time.

A few niggles aside, it's a great bike, and would suit anyone who rides in the city and wants the ability to take the "day-off" from pedalling every now and again.

Overall Rating (out of 10) : 9

rsscott

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 17, 2006
Reviewer: P. Van Dien

Retailer: NYCE Wheels

Purchase Price:
$800

Time Owned: 10 weeks

Terrain: Flat

Strengths:
-great speed (US version - 20-21 mph with Lithium, was 18 with NiMH)
-comfortable frame fit and seat
-internal hub, chain guard, fenders, lights and rear rack make for a great commuter
-step-thru frame is easy to mount when wearing a suit

Weaknesses:
-weight
-battery (see below)
-weak light considering it is powered off the main battery, I have a small light with 2 AA batteries that is more effective
-questionable kick stand

Summary:
This is my first electric bike. I have used it for the last 2 months to make a short commute to work in South Florida (read hot).
As I have to wear a suit and tie everyday, I put my suit shirt and jacket in a rear panier and wear my suit pants and dress shoes for the ride. At 20 mph, the Sprint allows me to get to work relatively cool and not covered in sweat.
Unfortunately, the original NiMH battery stopped taking a charge after only 3 weeks. It was another 3 weeks before a replacement arrived. This is definitely not a bike to ride without a motor, heavy and cumbersome.
Overall, the Ezee Springt is a great commuter. Hopefully this battery will go the distance in which case I will be very satisfied with the Ezee Sprint and electric bikes in general.

Overall Rating: 8.5

california

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 19, 2008
Sprint 7 review

I was so pleased with this bike that I wrote the following review, then looked for a forum to place it in. Sorry it doesn't strictly conform to the forum's review template, but I'll paste it in here anyway, and I trust folks will find it covers the main points well enough. I'm picky and demanding when I spend money on something, so it may seem I don't like it, but I'm really quite happy with it for my purposes.

The remarks below pertain to the US version of the bicycle: throttle only (no pedal-assist mode), 350 watts.

I purchased my Ezee Sprint 7 bike from Electric Vehicles Northwest, in Seattle. The other major US retailer of these bikes is Nycewheels, in New York City. Prior to the sale I was pleased with the responsiveness of Eric Sundin at the Seattle store.
I bought the bike after as much internet research as I could do. Much of the information available is sales-oriented and consequently must be taken with a grain of salt. Specifications for this type of vehicle are non-uniform and vague; to some extent this is necessary due to differences in rider weight and strength, terrain, etc. At some point you must take a “leap of faith” when you purchase an electric bike, especially if you live in an area (most areas of the US) where you cannot test-ride a variety of these bikes.
I wanted the bike for commuting - due to high gas prices -, the need for a little exercise, the diminished ability to climb steep hills on a bike (owing mostly to advanced age), and persistent guilt over driving a car, alone, to work every day, thus adding my bit to global warming. Also I didn’t want to arrive at work soaked in sweat, as I used to do when I commuted on a lightweight derailleur bike.
Here in the San Francisco Bay area we have about 6 months of dry weather annually, so the bike is practical for at least half the year. I believe that hard rain can be an issue with the electricals in these bikes. I live in an area that is poorly-served by public transit, so that the 5-mile route to work can take an hour transferring on busses, while it takes 25 minutes on a bicycle. I chose the Sprint 7 due mainly to its relative popularity, in the hope that parts and support will be available in years to come. The sturdiness, road-worthiness, motor power and comfort were other factors in my decision.
I have been commuting the 10 total daily miles for some time now, and can attest that there is no problem with that range with my 140 lbs; the round trip seems to use less than half of the battery capacity in spite of hilly terrain. Where hills are involved you must pedal; the motor merely makes the pedaling easier, but significantly so on slight-to-moderate rises. Very steep hills are beyond its scope, with a rider like myself, because the bike is very heavy compared with conventional modern lightweight bikes, and lacks a true “granny gear”. The motor assist is inadequate for these “monster” hills, and you are warned not to tax it in this way. That warning is made available to you after the sale. Prior to the sale the literature implies that you “climb hills with ease”, “charge up hills at 17 mph”, or words to that effect. “Hills”, yes, HILLS, no.
I expect the bike will hold up well; the construction is very robust. But only time will tell. How long will the battery last (replacement is expensive), and will batteries made to fit these bikes still be made five or ten years down the road? The bike is usable without the motor, but really only on fairly flat ground with a strong young rider.
But it does about what they say it will do, and provisionally I am very pleased with it. Here is a summary:

Good for:
Commuting over flat or varied terrain. Very nice on short, moderately-steep hills. Very comfortable and roadworthy with nice upright riding position that is much safer in traffic than “bend-over” bikes. Does almost exactly what I ask of it in this regard. Same praise would apply to local shopping trips, etc. Pedaling with motor assist provides moderate exercise without overtaxing older bodies. One can arrive at work or appointments without being sweaty. I plan adjustments to gearing for some improvement on hills.

Bad for:
Touring, mountainous terrain, taking up stairs (and getting onto subway platforms - 65 pounds!), disassembling for transport (major undertaking if you ask me). Unsuitable for children. Pedals that came with the bike were awful and were replaced by the MKS Grip King pedals, which are a revelation IMO.