Wisper Failed Battery

Klossie

Just Joined
Apr 2, 2020
Our three year old Whisper 705 is in great condition but as a 75year old woman I found it too heavy and stopped using it 9 months ago. When my husband went to ride it recently we sadly discovered the battery was completely dead and failed to charge. I simply did not know that I needed to keep charging the bike at regular intervals.
We would like to sell this bike. Is this possible without a battery? Should we consider having the battery re-celled. If we replace the battery with a new one costing £300 and then sell the bike it will give us a very poor return on the price we paid for the bike.
Is it possible that the battery was faulty, which accelerated it failing, as the bike has done very low mileage.
Any helpful suggestions appreciated. Thank you klossie

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
A working bike with a working battery will command a far better price then that of a bike not working.
One might get £100 - £200 for the bike with no battery , working with a battery one might get £600 or more dependent on bike age.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Our three year old Whisper 705 is in great condition but as a 75year old woman I found it too heavy and stopped using it 9 months ago. When my husband went to ride it recently we sadly discovered the battery was completely dead and failed to charge. I simply did not know that I needed to keep charging the bike at regular intervals.
We would like to sell this bike. Is this possible without a battery? Should we consider having the battery re-celled. If we replace the battery with a new one costing £300 and then sell the bike it will give us a very poor return on the price we paid for the bike.
Is it possible that the battery was faulty, which accelerated it failing, as the bike has done very low mileage.
Any helpful suggestions appreciated. Thank you klossie
According to the Wisper 705 handbook,the battery has hibernation mode, which protects it from over-discharge. It might be an idea to get the battery checked by someone that knows about them. Where do you live?

Reactions: AntonyC

AntonyC

Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2022
Surrey
I'm sure Wisper will be along but a third party view may be helpful. Top quality batteries can last a decade but respectable middle range batteries manage about 4 years. It's easy to overlook but the user guide usually says to top up every few months when not in use - nine months is a bit of a stretch.

If hardly used with a brand new battery it could be worth at least 2/3 of the price when it was new with warranty and the bike's been on hand for 3 years. To run an electric bike can cost as much as a small car but the enjoyment and health benefits are priceless.

Edit: with hibernation from full it should be fine, the manual should say how to waken it.

Reactions: Woosh

Klossie

Just Joined
Apr 2, 2020
I'm sure Wisper will be along but a third party view may be helpful. Top quality batteries can last a decade but respectable middle range batteries manage about 4 years. It's easy to overlook but the user guide usually says to top up every few months when not in use - nine months is a bit of a stretch.

If hardly used with a brand new battery it could be worth at least 2/3 of the price when it was new with warranty and the bike's been on hand for 3 years. To run an electric bike can cost as much as a small car but the enjoyment and health benefits are priceless.

Edit: with hibernation from full it should be fine, the manual should say how to waken it.
Thank so much for taking time to reply. That’s been helpful

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford

I've left some batteries for ten years without charging and they're still fine. Some batteries self-discharge more than others. It just depends on which BMS they put in it, which is not necessarily related to other factors.

Reactions: harrys

Saracen

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2023
A working bike with a working battery will command a far better price then that of a bike not working.
One might get £100 - £200 for the bike with no battery , working with a battery one might get £600 or more dependent on bike age.

£200 without, £600 with, but costs £300 ro have it fixed !!!

Saracen

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2023
I've left some batteries for ten years without charging and they're still fine. Some batteries self-discharge more than others. It just depends on which BMS they put in it, which is not necessarily related to other factors.
"I've left some batteries for ten years without charging"

Lithium Ion ???

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
£200 without, £600 with, but costs £300 ro have it fixed !!!
It was only an assumption , one has to check out the market to see what they may go for before deciding if the maths work out.

Klossie

Just Joined
Apr 2, 2020
Thank you for your replies. Oh how I wish manufacturers of e bikes would put a simple sticker on each new battery saying something like “ensure battery is recharged regularly” If I had known I would have been able to avoid this costly error. I also have no way of knowing if the battery I received was in any way faulty.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Thank you for your replies. Oh how I wish manufacturers of e bikes would put a simple sticker on each new battery saying something like “ensure battery is recharged regularly” If I had known I would have been able to avoid this costly error. I also have no way of knowing if the battery I received was in any way faulty.
Have you tried long pressing the on/off button in case as mentioned it has a sleep mode ?