Failure of Bosch Performance Line Motor ??

Dave Middleton

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 7, 2017
Scotland
Hi;
I am looking for any comments regarding a very strange "failure" of my Bosch Performance Line Motor on my new Scott E Mountain Bike.
Basically, on the second outing with the bike, Despite the battery being ON and fully charged, there was NO assistance in any of the 4 modes (controlled by a Purion handlebar computer ).The modes were changing as they should on the display. I tried switching off the entire system and re-started. It now worked as normal for about 5 minutes, but at the next incline, the same happened again. After going through the same procedure, it worked as normal till I got back to the car. I took it straight away to the supplying shop, who immediately connected a diagnostic programme via USB to the bike.
NO problem was found and in 3 runs by the shop owners, we cannot replicate the problem. They even phoned Scott and Bosch, to see if they had any knowledge of a similar problem. However, neither had seen this as yet. Before anyone queries if I had done something to cause the issue, I had another Scott e MTB which I had owned and used without incident for more than 2 years (only bought new now as this previous one was recently stolen!.)
Obviously I and the shop are confused and I am quite a bit less confident in taking the bike well off the beaten track in case the failure hits again.
Has any other user experienced this?
Thanks

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Hi;
I am looking for any comments regarding a very strange "failure" of my Bosch Performance Line Motor on my new Scott E Mountain Bike.
Basically, on the second outing with the bike, Despite the battery being ON and fully charged, there was NO assistance in any of the 4 modes (controlled by a Purion handlebar computer ).The modes were changing as they should on the display. I tried switching off the entire system and re-started. It now worked as normal for about 5 minutes, but at the next incline, the same happened again. After going through the same procedure, it worked as normal till I got back to the car. I took it straight away to the supplying shop, who immediately connected a diagnostic programme via USB to the bike.
NO problem was found and in 3 runs by the shop owners, we cannot replicate the problem. They even phoned Scott and Bosch, to see if they had any knowledge of a similar problem. However, neither had seen this as yet. Before anyone queries if I had done something to cause the issue, I had another Scott e MTB which I had owned and used without incident for more than 2 years (only bought new now as this previous one was recently stolen!.)
Obviously I and the shop are confused and I am quite a bit less confident in taking the bike well off the beaten track in case the failure hits again.
Thanks
Here in Germany there is a well known failure of this motor, but whether its the failure you have, only opening the gearbox/motor unit will tell you.
Its a possible failure of the plastic gears.....But look here, there are a multitude of possible problems:-
https://electricbikereview.com/forum/threads/known-issues-problems-with-bosch-products-help-solutions-fixes.13098/

I hope you get it fixed.....

regards
Andy

bikey850

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2016
UK
Worth letting you bike shop deal with this. Yes there are faults with these motors but they are much fewer than the reports would have you believe.

Apprecaite that you are a bit nervous but a few shorter journeys first will let you know if it's a bigger problem or just loose wiring or connectors your dealer can sort out.

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
Deff. sounds like a connection fault either between the motor and controller or the torque sensor and controller. Sadly, all of these components are inside the motor casing, which as I understand, only Bosch themselves are able to open without voiding your warranty. If the problem persisted hopefully your dealer will be able to get you a replacement motor.

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Hi;
Thanks
Here in Germany there is a well known failure of this motor, but whether its the failure you have, only opening the gearbox/motor unit will tell you.
Its a possible failure of the plastic gears.....But look here, there are a multitude of possible problems:-
https://electricbikereview.com/forum/threads/known-issues-problems-with-bosch-products-help-solutions-fixes.13098/

I hope you get it fixed.....

regards
Andy
Deff. sounds like a connection fault either between the motor and controller or the torque sensor and controller. Sadly, all of these components are inside the motor casing, which as I understand, only Bosch themselves are able to open without voiding your warranty. If the problem persisted hopefully your dealer will be able to get you a replacement motor.
The good part is that it is all in one unit, made by one company.
Hopefully the OP will et us know what happens.
regards
Andy