Fatal Trip

tenderbehind

Pedelecer
Oct 31, 2008
I've just seen on the BBC I player thingy, so a bit belatedley, the prog about the guy who attempted to Kyak from Tasmania (I think it was) to New Zealand (well it was late and I was tired), 1600 miles or so through some of the most treacherous roughest water in the world. My point is, I think he was rather selfish; near the end of the trip the craft got hit by a wave and flooded and it looks like by that time he was too weak to do anythng about it, his body was never found. He leaves a small young son to now grow up without a father and a wife without a husband, I realise the temptation must have been hard to resist but I think he should not have succumbed to his great desire to do this trip, what do others think?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I'm normally all for freedom of the individual to take risks. However, the treacherous southern oceans far from land are no place for a canoe of any sort and that trip does seem exceptionally foolhardy.

So I agree that with a child and wife to consider, not a fair risk to take and it would have been better to have sacrificed his ambition.

Onslow

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 17, 2009
Maybe he'll turn up in the UK in ten years time, with no idea of what's happened?

Advertisers