Fell of my scooter today

Footie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 16, 2007
Cornwall. PL27
Electric bike is ok it was my 125cc scooter that I fell off today.
Took the bike out for a quick ride. Decided to take a short cut along a narrow country lane. Meet a silly cow in a car coming the other way on a corner. She promptly swung across the road towards me forcing me towards the hedge. Missed her but I was now too close to the hedge to make the corner. Drifted off line, caught the front wheel in a tractor wheel rut and ended up ploughing into the stone hedge at about 25mph.
Hurt the fingers on my left hand (the hand I've just had an operation on three weeks ago) luckily it seems to be just my fingers that are sour rather than my wrist and hand. I managed to turn myself in mid air (to protect my left hand) so my right side took the brunt of the impact with the stone hedge; shoulder, chest/back and right leg are bruised and sore (breathing hurts a bit).
The women didn’t stop.
As for the bike; I broke the left mirror and a screw fixing, plus scrapped the plastic in a couple of places.
That’s it for the next few days, I’m obviously not safe on the road, I will have to stay home and try to stay out of trouble :)

Last edited:

Barnowl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 18, 2008
Sorry to hear that footie. It must be Friday - my first thought was what's a cow doing in a car! :eek:
Pity you didn't have the video strapped to your helmet. It might have caught the reg plate. Not stopping at the scene and all that.
Hope nothings broken and have a good painfree weekend.

musicbooks

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2007
Electric bike is ok it was my 125cc scooter that I fell off today.
Took the bike out for a quick ride. Decided to take a short cut along a narrow country lane. Meet a silly cow in a car coming the other way on a corner. She promptly swung across the road towards me forcing me towards the hedge. Missed her but I was now too close to the hedge to make the corner. Drifted off line, caught the front wheel in a tractor wheel rut and ended up ploughing into the stone hedge at about 25mph.
Hurt the fingers on my left hand (the hand I've just had an operation on three weeks ago) luckily it seems to be just my fingers that are sour rather than my wrist and hand. I managed to turn myself in mid air (to protect my left hand) so my right side took the brunt of the impact with the stone hedge; shoulder, chest/back and right leg are bruised and sore (breathing hurts a bit).
The women didn’t stop.
As for the bike; I broke the left mirror and a screw fixing, plus scrapped the plastic in a couple of places.
That’s it for the next few days, I’m obviously not safe on the road, I will have to stay home and try to stay out of trouble :)
Sorry to hear about your accident Footie. A couple of weeks ago, a friend witnessed a car clip a cyclist on the way up a hill, sending the cyclist careering into a wall. The cyclist got back up and threw his bike at the car as it accelerated away. They got the plates though, so the driver is in big trouble.

It seems to be a growing trend to flee the scene of an accident.

The state of our nation, indeed:mad:

Hop you heal well soon

BW
musicbooks

Vikki

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2009
Mumble-mumble, barbarians, mumble-mumble.

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
It seems to be a growing trend to flee the scene of an accident.

The state of our nation, indeed:mad:

Hop you heal well soon

BW
musicbooks
I witnessed a hit and run a couple of weeks ago, the pedestrian was OK but her shopping was spread over the front of the car. The driver slowed down about 50 yards away and sped off quickly, I gave her the number and have just posted the witness statement. :)

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Well done Mussels, good to hear of any of these rogue drivers being identified.

Barnowl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 18, 2008
Yes, well done. I'd have done the same (except I can never find a pen & paper when I need one).
It's hard to believe that people can just drive off after hitting a pedestrian or a cyclist. It's also surprising how apathetic most bystanders can be.

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
Yes, well done. I'd have done the same (except I can never find a pen & paper when I need one).
I wrote it on my phone as a text, my phone was buried in my bag and needed various codes and buttons before I could write it down. I thought I'd forget the number or someone would start talking to me in the middle.

JohnofCambridge

Pedelecer
Aug 21, 2007
Stapleford, Cambridge
I am wondering whether I should change my mobile which I often carry in my anorak pocket to one which has a built in camera. The pixel power of these seems to be going up so i am wondering whether the quality is as well.

Having such a device would seem just the job for hit and runs if one can be quick enough to react

Saw today another rider with one of those mobile cameras strapped onto the top of his helmet - now there's a thought!!

John.

Alex728

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 16, 2008
Ipswich
thankfully I don't see many hit and run RTCs but I do keep a cameraphone on me at all times - the newer ones (such as Sony Ericsson "cybershot" branded phones) certainly take good pics

I tend to use mine more for taking pics of interesting buildings/architecture and random animals that I might encounter..

Haku

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 20, 2007
Gloucestershire
Many years ago I was coming home along a main road, it was dark and no streetlights along most of the way. Going round a left hand curve in the road I couldn't see the edge of the pavement because of the bright headlights of the cars coming from the other direction, I ended up right next to the pavement and couldn't steer left to steady myself, so down I went sideways onto the pavement.
The car behind me & subsequent ones didn't even stop to see if I was ok, but a motorcyclist did stop and ask, I said yes as I was only bruised - and peed off at the situation. Walked the rest of the way until I got to town & streetlights.

So you can understand why I'm building a 300 LED headlight :D

Mussels, most of the 'standalone' headcams you can get are terrible quality, my brother bought a VholdR for nearly £200 and the quality is pretty good, it even has two lasers to help you align the angle and where it's pointing. Check out some of his vids: YouTube - monsterphonic's channel especially "Jons big crash" :D

Advertisers