First eMTB - Trek Powerfly FS or ?

Chris C

Just Joined
Oct 19, 2018
Hi,

I've been reading the posts on this forum for the last few days and have found this really useful. I've had a road bike for years, but this will be my first mountain bike (apart from a fun hire of a eMTB in Portugal).

For my budget, I've seen the Trek Powerfly Full Suspension 5 (https://www.evanscycles.com/trek-powerfly-fs-5-2019-electric-mountain-bike-EV340657).

I've also seen the Trek Powerfly FS 8 LT LongTravel (last years model) at around the same price. (https://www.trekbikes.com/gb/en_GB/bikes/mountain-bikes/electric-mountain-bikes/powerfly/powerfly-long-travel/powerfly-8-lt-plus/p/21601/).

My gut feeling is to go for the 8 LT - but is there anything else or competing bikes I should be considering?

Thanks
Chris

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
The 8 is better option.
Better shocks and more travel, suspension is most important thing on FS MTB. There is no upgrading aftermarket due to cost.
Has dropper post, must offroad riding. Can be added latter on 5 but not cheap.

While deore brakes on 8 a good reliable brakes they are at lower end of MTB brakes. Still better than 5s MT200. Easy enough to upgrade if you need more stopping power.

For other brands see Cube normally go value go for Race spec, Specialized $$$$, KTM, Merida (one sixty 8000), Giant, Haibike $$$, Whisper. To name a few.

FS MTB require a bit maintenance so good local LBS is very important. EMTB in particular go through drivetrains, because of dirt, extra power and higher mileage they do.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Given the choice between the two, I would also go for the 8.

My reasoning is that I personally prefer the semi integrated (non powertube) battery. I'm not keen on some of the cable routing and other minor design details on either bike, but again that is just personal preference.

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
Given the choice between the two, I would also go for the 8.

My reasoning is that I personally prefer the semi integrated (non powertube) battery. I'm not keen on some of the cable routing and other minor design details on either bike, but again that is just personal preference.

Spare powerpacks are also lot easier to carry in backpacks, panniers and frame bags. I like cable routing on my 2018 PF 7, remove battery and all the cables are accessible. Not sure about mud and dirt getting into battery compartment especially when MTBing in mud. The plastic cover on battery is more cosmetic than dirt protector.

I thought plastic cover might issue on our other bikes but battery still fits them.

Reactions: EddiePJ