Fitting a kit - weight and wheel strength concerns

averhamdave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 13, 2009
I am contemplating building up an electric bike from a cheap kit off e-bay.

We have had Powabykes for the last 5+ years and my old Euro bike is getting quite tired after hundreds of miles of use. We recently sold on my wifes Powabyke Shopper as the front weight continued to cause safety concerns and accidents at low speed (front wheel tucks under too easily and topples heavy bike over). Additionally she had problems lifting it up and down kerbs due to the weight of the thing. Anyway, that's not why I am posting, I plan to get her a new fully built Alien bike and she should then be ok.

The bike I'm thinking about is as a project to learn from really. I'll keep the Euro for now and when I have a better practical understanding I'll go for a better spec piece of kit. I have no interest in buying an off-the-shelf bike for myself.

I have a decent non-suspension Giant mountain bike, fitted with road pattern tyres and it is this that i'm looking at using.

However I have concerns that maybe you can help me with:

To keep the cost down at this stage (and because I have them anyway) I'm looking to use 3 off, 12ah, SLA batteries - to give 36v. Ok so far.

Tonight I have strapped these three batteries to the rack on the Giant and I am concerned! I can hardly lift the back of the bike up! I weigh 90kg as well - will the rear wheel stand all the weight? All that said I have just cycled up and down the road without noticing the weight from an actual usage perspective. I'm just worried about the bike!

I was intially thinking about a front hub motor (500w for off-road use). Now I'm thinking about a rear hub motor because I'm reasoning that they must be using heavy spokes, heavier rims etc????? Is this wishful thinking?

Should I be thinking about a full suspension bike instead (to soften the impact on the rim, spokes, rack mounting bolts, rack etc)?

The rear motor would also have attractions on simplifying the wiring / neater installation as well wouldn't it?

Will 3 off, 12ah SLA batteries be good for a 500w motor?

Thanks, Dave

Footie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 16, 2007
Cornwall. PL27
Unfortunately SLA batteries will always have a weight problem.
My ebike originally came with 3x8amp batteries, which were ok, but they couldn't handle the heavy drain of my hilly terrain and died at 8 months old.
I recently attempted a DIY kit build, I tried some 17amp but very quickly realised I had made a major blunder, they are now going into a trailer, which I will tow :cool:
12amp SLA seems to be the usual size ebiker DIY'ers go for but fixing them on an ordinary bike is a problem, as most are not built for the loads.

For some ideas you could take a look on endless-sphere and see what others have dreamed up ;)

Endless-sphere.com • View topic - Show Us Your Homemade Battery Housing

Endless-sphere.com • Search .... sla

-----------------------------------------------
Cougar Mountain Electric Bike 36v 200w rear wheel Hub motor (Jul07)
fitted with 10 Ah LiFePo4 battery (Apr08)
Maximum range (road/hills - Cornwall) 18 miles
Maximum range (on flat) 25 miles

Last edited:

GT3

Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2009
I'm using 4 x 14Ah SLAs weighing in at 20 kilos IIRC. I weigh 100 odd.

Nearly 500 miles now without any indication of the weight taking any toll on the wheel or frame. After the rear rack disintegrated, I cut a piece of stout ply to fit between the frame tubes to mount the batteries upon. Not ideal, but works well enough.