Fly tipping scum

Pedalo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2009
My route into work is mostly down narrow country lanes. On the whole it is a lovely enjoyable ride but that enjoyment has been marred recently by increasing levels of fly tipping. Round every other corner there will be a matress or a pile of tyres or a mound of garden waste. More and more often waste is left strewn across the road causing danger to cyclists and other road users. Even the passing places are filling up.

What's wrong with people?

Bob_about

Pedelecer
Nov 17, 2009
Warks/Glos Border
Let your local council know....

I agree fly tippers are scum

Couldnt beleive I cycled past a dumped leather chesterfield three piece suite a few weeks back!

Not sure iif this applies to all Councils, but I let our Council know, with a map, and it was removed 24 hours later. I got the impression most Councils will remove fly tipping within 24 - 48 hours once they have been notified - problem is often that they dont have the officers patroling areas to find it themselves so rely on someone notifying them.The Council website should have easy to find contact details for whoever you need to let know.

All the best - hope it gets removed soon

Bob_about

Alex728

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 16, 2008
Ipswich
FixMyStreet

all the cyclists round here use it to report trash, duff street lamps and other problems. The Suffolk Councils react quite quickly, and you don't even have to give your name or wait in call centre queues..

eTim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 19, 2009
Andover, Hants.
FixMyStreet

all the cyclists round here use it to report trash, duff street lamps and other problems. The Suffolk Councils react quite quickly, and you don't even have to give your name or wait in call centre queues..
Wow what a top link, so easy to use, I reported a couple of junctions with alot of gravel on the road making them very dangerous for 2 wheeled users and the council sent me emails this afternoon to say that the reports have been passed to their roads cleaning dept, lets see what happens!

This should definitely be made into a sticky

CeeGee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 4, 2009
Weybridge, UK
FixMyStreet

Great Link - another vote to make it a sticky.
I also suggest that everybody does as I have done and add the site FixMyStreet into your IE or Firefox Bookmarks.

Colin

Mike63

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 23, 2008
Perhaps, if on the occasions they caught these flytippers, they actually punished them....crush their wagon for instance...it may get stopped.
.....Mike

CeeGee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 4, 2009
Weybridge, UK
Perhaps, if on the occasions they caught these flytippers, they actually punished them....crush their wagon for instance...it may get stopped.
.....Mike
Especially if the occupants were still in the vehicle.

Colin

Scimitar

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 31, 2010
Ireland
Ditches full of crap

What I've been seeing more of over the past several years, is an accumulation of small debris in the ditches lining the country roads in my area. Not just here, in my immediate locality, it's everywhere. Dirty sods chucking stuff out of their car windows as they pass along - it all adds up. At driving speeds you never see it, but walking or cycling speeds you notice it more.

eTim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 19, 2009
Andover, Hants.
Wow what a top link, so easy to use, I reported a couple of junctions with alot of gravel on the road making them very dangerous for 2 wheeled users and the council sent me emails this afternoon to say that the reports have been passed to their roads cleaning dept, lets see what happens!

This should definitely be made into a sticky
Well it works, on the same day I had about 4 email responses from two reported incidents saying that the roads dept had been informed. I went for a ride along these lanes two weeks later and both junctions had been cleared of gravel.

FatMog

Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2007
For those who live in Bracknell Forest(if there are any!), this form works wonders

highway damage form

I used after all that snow this winter when potholes were such a problem here, and it was like having your personal pothole-SWAT team. Report it one day, filled in by the next. Fab!

Advertisers