Folding cyclamatic battery problem

Golflinkshotel

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 1, 2013
Hello all first timer so here goes.I have two cyclamatic bikes one folding and one not both bought two and a half years ago the problem is the battery on the folding the bike has had very little use.
When setting off with the throttle it just dies the lights on the handlebars go out if I turn the key off and on again it all lights up again but then does exactly the same again.I have seen other threads so I have tried turning the bike over and leaving it running to try and flatten the battery so I could recharge it to balance the cells but it will run all day and when it stops it still shows fully charged on the battery and when I turn it off and back on it then runs again for hours.I have bypassed the ignition switch that made no difference ,I have cleaned the terminals no difference ,then I wired the battery from my other bike and it worked ok so I thought yes it must be the battery but then I thought I would give it another try an guess what it worked ok we went for a ride to the shops all happy went home put on charge and vowed to keep it topped up from now on but next day it was back to the same problem I need help

Sorry it a bit long but I have tried to cover everything.
Richard

OldBob1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 11, 2012
Staffordshire
Hi Richard and welcome, it sound to me that the battery contacts in the base of the battery may not be making very well, I had the same problem with my folder, closed the contacts to grab the blade better, I also stuck a piece of old rubber inner tube to the bottom of the battery to stop it moving about and also keeping the water out.
The only other thing that could be is a dodgy connection inside the battery or fuse holder?
Hope you have some success.

Bob:)

D

Deleted member 4366

I'm with Bob. You have a faulty connection somewhere. Bottom of the battery is the most likely culprit. Adjust them to grip tighter. You might have to take them out to get at them. Take the bottom end cap off the battery and then there's a little plastic plate you have to unscrew IIRC. Any sign of melting there? Next, the fuse. Try swapping the fuse with the other one.

Golflinkshotel

Jun 1, 2013
Ongoing battery problem

:confused:
Hi Richard and welcome, it sound to me that the battery contacts in the base of the battery may not be making very well, I had the same problem with my folder, closed the contacts to grab the blade better, I also stuck a piece of old rubber inner tube to the bottom of the battery to stop it moving about and also keeping the water out.
The only other thing that could be is a dodgy connection inside the battery or fuse holder?
Hope you have some success.

Bob:)
Hi I have taken the bottom off the battery and checked both wires and clips no burning or bad connections it all looks like new I previously made up a couple of Leads with a clip on one end and a spade made from an old fuse on the other I have used these to connect my battery from my other bike to the folder and it works ok but when I use them with the problem battery it is just the same (ie cuts out as soon as you put power on and is completely dead until you turn the switch off and on again) I have tried by passing the switch again but it makes no difference .I thought their may be some electronics inside the battery case but I can't find any do you think it could be an unbalanced battery or has it just had its life because I have not looked after it.can you think of a way to use power from the battery so I can try the flatten and recharge idea that has been mentioned in other posts if I just turn the bike over and leave it running because it does not much load it runs all day.
Thanks for both replies
Regards Richard

D

Deleted member 4366

Theremust be a faulty connection in the battery somewhere. It has worked once since the problem started, so the cells can't be faulty.

Did you try swapping fuses?

If you did, and it's still bad, you need to take both ends off the battery and slide the contents out, then check that all the balance wires are still properly attached. I can't remember if they have a multi-pin connector to the BMS. I think so. If so, pull it off, leave it for a few seconds, and reconnect it.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

Golflinkshotel

Jun 1, 2013
Still trying not to buy a new battery

:eek:
Theremust be a faulty connection in the battery somewhere. It has worked once since the problem started, so the cells can't be faulty.

Did you try swapping fuses?

If you did, and it's still bad, you need to take both ends off the battery and slide the contents out, then check that all the balance wires are still properly attached. I can't remember if they have a multi-pin connector to the BMS. I think so. If so, pull it off, leave it for a few seconds, and reconnect it.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2
Have tried a new fuse have taken both ends off the battery pulled the battery pack as far as I can without unsoldering the wires the battery pack is in one block wrapped in heavy shrink wrap three wires at the top. And two wires running down the side to the bottom clips you mention the bms is this battery management system if so is this a circuit board and if so is it wrapped up in the battery pack ,also the balance wires so do I open up the battery pack I presume the small board in the top cap is just the battery meter I will try and post a picture if it helps

Thanks in advance
Richard

Attachments

D

Deleted member 4366

Hmmmm!. Yours is different to mine unless they just added shrink-wrap.

Your photo reminded me about the key-switch. The full power goes through it and they often give problems. Would you be able to bypass it or short it out temporarily? It might be good to eliminate it as the cause before unwrapping the cells.

Golflinkshotel

Jun 1, 2013
I have tried soldering all the wires on switch together no difference I even bought a new switch so I could replace it today I stripped both red wires coming from the switch and taped them together just to be sure no luck it just went dead when throttle turned with some load on .

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
I think you have a weak cell in your battery.
The connection is good, otherwise you could not have run the bike on no load for hours.
Underload, the current surges - causing the voltage of the weak cell to collapse, the BMS cuts power to the controller, turning off the light on the display.

D

Deleted member 4366

You'll have to unwrap it to get at the BMS. I just had a look at mine, and there is a multi-pin connector on the BMS

shemozzle999

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2009
Hi,

Could you measure the voltage of the battery across the charging socket with the key switch turned off using a voltmeter, then turn on the switch and measure the voltage across the output pins on the bottom connector?

OldBob1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 11, 2012
Staffordshire
Hi Richard what voltage are you getting on your battery when it has come off charge? and did you say the battery indicators on the twist grip go out all together when this fault happens?

Bob

Golflinkshotel

Jun 1, 2013
I don't have a voltmeter at the moment but yes all lights on the twist grip go out but the meter on top of battery reads battery full if I turn off and back on all lights back on

Richard

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
It's difficult to find replacement cells even if you can identify the weak cell(s).
Second problem, you'd need to split open the protective PVC heat shrink sleeving in order to locate the weak cells because on the picture, the balancing wires are not accessible outside your pack.
After the repair, you can't just tape the old sleeving back - the battery is not safe without it because it's self extinguishing plastic and it gives the pack its rigidity.

Golflinkshotel

Jun 1, 2013
Thanks to everybody for your help and advice I think I have gone as far as possible will now have to buy a new battery I have seen some on eBay at £199.00 without charger has anyone bought one from there they are based in Edinburgh .

Ps if anyone wants my old battery and will pick it up they can have it (it is in bits )

Thanks again all

Richard;)

OldBob1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 11, 2012
Staffordshire
Hi Richard I still think your battery has a bad connection some where or the BMS is not working on your battery.
Normally a battery will gradually loose capacity and range unless it has been abused or miss-used.
To work one day and then not the next day?

Bob

Golflinkshotel

Jun 1, 2013
Hi Bob just thought I would open it up and have a look seeing as I am going to get a new one anyway can't see any loose wires yet I presume the square board on the side is the bms I will post a photo which may help others.

Will keep digging

Richardimage.jpg

Biker44

Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2012
I have two cyclamatic bikes one folding and one not both bought two and a half years ago the problem is the battery on the folding the bike has had very little use.
How did you not find the folding bike extremely useful?

Did you think it might be useful living in your car, but then not use it?

Has the battery maybe got baked as a result?

D

Deleted member 4366

Hi Bob just thought I would open it up and have a look seeing as I am going to get a new one anyway can't see any loose wires yet I presume the square board on the side is the bms I will post a photo which may help others.

Will keep digging

RichardView attachment 6017
How did you get on? Did you measure the cell voltages?
The configuration of that battery is different to the other Cyclamatic batteries I've seen. If there's 16, it could be LiFePO4 in 8s2p configuration. If there's 14, it'll be 7s2p LiMnCo.
Whatever it is, you need to measure the cell voltages at the multi-pin connector. It looks like the tabs on the cells are soldered to pads on a sort-of PCB. One joint may be broken, Measuring cell voltages will point to which one, if any.