Help! Folding E-Bike (London Narrowboat commuting)

Supertramp

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 26, 2022
Good Morning!

I was hoping to get some suggestions about appropriate folding e-bikes. I had initially wanted a Cube but I’m living on a narrowboat (thus needs to be foldable) and moving it to London, working as a doctor so will be commuting from wherever I’m moored to my hospital. Hoping to keep this distance at a maximum of 15 miles.

I’ve discounted the Brompton (too expensive, too many niggly faults). I’ve come across Fiido and I’m very tempted in the D4S or D11 but can’t quite decide.

If anyone has any other suggestions they would be gratefully received.
Budget is around £600-£1000 (or more if on the cycle to work scheme).

Thank you!

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
Perfect, thank you. I’ve pretty much settled on either the D11 or D4S. I like the slightly larger battery and look of the D11. I’ve also heard you can unlock it, though no idea what that actually means.
With NHS discount I can pick it up for £800 so seems like a decent option.
Unlocking means removing the legal assisted speed restriction of 15.5mph. On my D11, it'll assist up to 18mph unlocked. An unlocked D4S goes a little faster - IIRC about 20mph (different/slightly heavier motor). If that's important to you, check first: Fiido changed the display a few months ago and the means of defeating that limiting on the D11 was removed, but AFAIK can still be done on the D4S.

Two things to consider on a D4S: The battery can't (easily) be removed for charging as the seat-post battery can on a D11 if that matters to you: If your narrowboat runs on Solar, you'd likely want to charge the battery at your Hospital? The D4S has a common issue with rear/motor wheel spokes loosening; AFAICS, that's mostly neglect by the owners and nothing a £3 spoke key won't prevent, especially during the first 6/12 months of use. It's common with many (lower cost) bikes, and just good practice to check occasionally.

D11 Small.jpg

Last edited: