Folding pedelec?

Duarte PMMSF

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 12, 2014
I'm newbie over here. I work in a cruise ship and I'm looking for a folding pedelec, because in ships space is always a issue. I had read a bit but didn't get any good answer to which bicycle shoud I buy. Sugestions?

Thanks

Electrifying Cycles

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2011
It depends what you want - how far do you want to go, how important is the weight of the bike etc. However the bike above is good!

Duarte PMMSF

May 12, 2014
The weight of the bike it's not that important, I think that my weight maybe more important, 95 Kg. In terms of distance probably some miles, the idea is to have freedon to can go out at the ports, do some shoping and tourism then came back to the ship.

shemozzle999

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2009
Hi Duarte,

Does your cruise ship operate out of a home port or do you have to make air transfers?

shemozzle999

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2009
The main problem would be transporting batteries on board an aircraft and I don't think it would be practical.

You need to have a word with the ship's engineer and see if they could make you one when afloat from any batteries they may have for emergency lighting units, that way you would only have to carry a converted bike.

A brompton is the smallest folder and allowed on aircraft.

Out of interest, have you ever seen a pax use one?

Last edited:
Reactions: Duarte PMMSF

Duarte PMMSF

May 12, 2014
If the battery has a standard size if we don't have it onboard it's more or less easy to find one in some port and I could have one battery at home and one in the ship.

I never seen anybody using one, in my vacations in June I will dedicate some time to test the candidate bikes.

Any opinion on the Sunstar SO3+?

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Hi,I have sold a lot of Kudos Secret folding bikes to owners of boats and use 2 aboard my own boat. The battery transport would be a problem if transporting by plane but that applies to any ebike.
The Secret only weighs 18 KGs or 15 KGs without the battery,it has a range about 25-30 miles and is a very strong hillclimber ,it carries me easily up steep hills-I weigh 17 stone!
There are a number of locations to test ride one in the UK
Hope that helps
KudosDave

Reactions: KirstinS

shemozzle999

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2009
Hi Duarte,

I think that your ebike idea is brilliant. I assume you work around the clock while aboard so being able to get away for a few hours while in port would be a welcome break.

Buy what ever you can. If you come from the far east you should have a lot of choice, just make sure it can be carried by the airline first.

Crank drives like the SO3 would cover you for all types of terrain you might encounter on journeys around the world.

I wish you well in your search for an answer to the problem.

If you manage to get something up and running please post some pictures here of your exploits. You could maybe write a guide for ebiking while on a cruise.

Duarte PMMSF

May 12, 2014
Shemozzle999, thats exactly my situation, for example today we stop in Malta and I had 3 hours free. Its not enough to take a excurcion or to explore by foot, a pedelec its the best solution to can go by miself.
When I get mine I will post some pictures with it.
Thanks for thesuggestions

Reactions: shemozzle999

shemozzle999

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2009
A couple of power tool batteries bought locally then connected in series to match the motor voltage might be enough to power you around a few miles when in port.

D

Deleted member 4366

Or this one, which is not only very small and light, but also folds in half.: